Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    i dont care.
    he knows enough about lightwave to be a justified
    contributor to most of the discussions.
    Has anyone said anything different? But has he the right to call someone out on their lack of posted works in this forum (without making a hypocrite of himself)? That is the question here. And to that I say no.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    It's entirely possible that someone who doesn't own and has never used LW may yet make the most valuable contribution ever made here*. On the other hand, if someone wants to weight their evaluation of someone's remarks based on their experience level, it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them to do so. To each his own, perhaps?

* I always think of this scenario: I'm about to step up to the dais to deliver a formal speech when a small, unkempt child approaches and says "Excuse me sir, but your fly is down". It's very likely that he is completely ignorant of my subject, but what kind of fool would I be to ignore him?
    as always, I bow to your wisdom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    But has he the right to call someone out on their lack of posted works in this forum (without making a hypocrite of himself)? That is the question here. And to that I say no.
    as Einstein once said "That dude has no work to show, therefore he is sh1t"

He could of course have responded like Tyrot did and post some imagery/examples of his work (not necessarily at Tyrots level of excellence ) but previously and now the response has been silence.....and the feeling of having caught him with his pants down
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-03-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Hey I've been saved by some of erikals videos. I guess whether he makes any "art" or not is pretty much irrelevant if he's enjoying himself and he shares his insights to anyone willing to watch. The one that bothered me was Steve White - he came across as a super know it all and nobody was right except him. And yet I don't you never saw any work from him. He just wanted to mettle.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

i just wanna smooth this discussion by saying .. "Erikals is one of the most important member of our community. I think i watched all his youtube videos several times..

I consider him - our official team member and LWviking! consultant "

I think he is clearly frustrated defending LW over and over again which is normal.. There were many times his one tip saved a whole project... We are so lucky to have him..

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Hey I've been saved by some of erikals videos.
    he makes great, informative vids. glad to have someone making these as a goto reference.

he should also be a beta tester. just sayin'

Has anyone said anything different? But has he the right to call someone out on their lack of posted works in this forum (without making a hypocrite of himself)? That is the question here. And to that I say no.
    Depends on their contributions in other ways, such as showcasing their knowledge with a massive amount of detail solutions..and suggestive ideas..which erikals is doing A lot, or something like that.
    I can understand your reaction..but to me it doesnīt invoke that same perspective though.

Even if you raise a question of credibililty..I think you seem to have a sort of hickup on him and the tone of remarking back at him sounds condescending almost mocking.

To quote you ...
    "but previously and now the response has been silence.....and the feeling of having caught him with his pants down"" followed with a laughing smiley..??
    Personally I think that silence is his better side of not engaging you at all with something that is not worth engaging with considering the initial tone to him.

not saying that is what you truly are trying to do..I could have gotten the wrong perception of it of course..it just comes across like that....Personally I react much stronger at when people is being mocked, treated condescending ..than react to a software vs software issue or if you are mocking a software etc, itīs not proper to do that either of course..but at least it is in no way targeted directly to a person, that could perhaps be percieved as a possible discrediting of a development team..so sure, careful with that too when you are harsch on a software, and how you put it.

Then we got the issue of those getting very upset and offended with critics of the software, just because they love it so much..wether or not you are providing just basic facts on what the issues are, without any other value loaded intent to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    The one that bothered me was Steve White - he came across as a super know it all and nobody was right except him. And yet I don't you never saw any work from him.
    There you go.....unlike some not that hard to find. http://www.massivetree.com
    Think he did some presets for LWCAD and some tutorials.....modelling a dolphin in LW if my memory serves me right.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-03-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Ok everyone, thanks for your kind words, and thanks for your input.

Before I post v0.3 of Legato Sliders I'd like to mention this:

• Some people have a different way of learning, and/or they work towards an end goal in a different way. Diversity in a team has its purpose.
    • Every company has to deal with limitations. Sometimes this means there is a need to focus on selling points. I see many valid points, in this discussion, that sometimes also lead to frustration. My way of dealing with this is to build and share what I can.
    • Improving character animation workflow (especially key handling) doesn't include rocket science.
    • I'd like to see a lot more character animation activities based on LightWave.
    • I do hope that this product will reach Paul in time. I've designed Legato Sliders as compact and as automatic as possible, with some built-in flexibility. It's not completly finished but there is progress.
    • LightWave offers several ways to animate your characters, and the designers/developers have tried to build as generic as possible, but sometimes it can be interesting to think beyound that and address more specific problems to eliminate slow rigid outdated methods or unnecessary repetitive tasks or irreversible steps or poorly renewable steps or poorly repeatable steps.

LegatoSliders_v03.zip

Features:
    • keyboard: Arrow buttons L/R: PrevFrame/NextFrame. Arrow buttons U/D: PrevItem/NextItem.
    • Added 5px separation between channels of the selected items.
    • Mute buttons disable controllers in Setup mode, and hide them in regular edit mode.
    • Store Mute list upon selecting another item, single and multi-select.
    • Muted channels are saved to the plugin section in the scene file. Muted channels are read from the plugin section in the scene file, correctly evaluated and mutes channels.
    • While using Layout MoveTool/RotateTool/StretchTool/SquashTool: modifications are updated in (multi-select) sliders and datafields.
    • Sync button synchronizes equal channels of multi-selected items while using slider or datafield.
    • [FIX] Slider motor doesn't move enough in case of angles.
    • [FIX] Deselecting an item from multi-selection now updates the dialog.
    • [FIX] Multi-select: channel.name colomn width.
    • [FIX] When removing a channel Envelope, the "K" button is not evaluted.
    • [MOD] Initial dialog state doesn't match the selected item. User is now forced to make a (new) selection.

Known issues:
    • Selecting an item shifts focus to the first data field. Press Esc or use the slider before using keyboard commands.
    • When applying --ui-screen-scale-factors as program parameters buttons may be too small to read their labels.
    • When using Sync button during multi-select, for now use the 1st slider. Also "E" and "K" do not update correctly.
    • When using multi-select, auto-range update of angle channels may be incorrect.

To do:
    • EnvelopeAll: clear channels of all selected items.
    • KeyAll: channels of all selected items.
    • MuteAll: channels of all selected items.

Comments are welcome.
    Last edited by vncnt; 05-03-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    Download my free Legato plugin for CA in LightWave
    Pose- and Motion Libraries, tools to structure your story/poses/performances, X-sheet I/O, audio analysis, hotspot item selection, ...

For clarity and context, is this the post that has concerned you?...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ...most of the negative guys over there, and here, haven't posted as much as a model / render of a nail.

should i worry about such people?... nope!

does it annoy me?... yep!
    I cannot imagine that comment being controversial. The post of a model / render of a nail was not mentioned as a required credential for authority to speak...it is simply one of many examples (the most basic) of a forum contributor. If we all go to our forum post history page and can't find anything in the first 25 results (the first page) we've posted that was helpful to another or was appreciative to another for their help, then we may be wasting our time in the wrong forum.

Erikals (like myself) is annoyed by people that focus on discussions of pointless conflict (like this has become) instead of the software for which this forum is built.

...and now the response has been silence.....and the feeling of having caught him with his pants down
    Nope. He's just not dumb enough to engage in pointless discussion. I, on the other hand, never seem to learn. I'm sure Erikals will be back when this discussion returns to the valuable work Vincent (who also briefly checked out for this silly detour) is doing.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thanks very much Vincent for your continued support.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

There you go.....unlike some not that hard to find. http://www.massivetree.com
    Think he did some presets for LWCAD and some tutorials.....modelling a dolphin in LW if my memory serves me right.
    Thanks for the link - not to shabby.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Yes, thank you very much vncnt! Downloading and installing Legato v03 this morning.

Legato Sliders v0.4 with GUI Zoom and MasterChannel support is here!

Features
    • Added MasterChannel support. Turned on (in Setup) by default. Saved with the scene file settings.
    • Added a GUI "Zoom" preset setting in Setup: enlarge UI elements by a preset factor (1, 1.33, 1.5, 1.66, 2, 3, 4) to compensate for high resolution displays or display size or ... your age. The font setting is still determined by the Layout program variable --ui-screen-scale-factors. You may need to stretch the dialog width to unhide all Zoom options. Saved with the scene file settings.
    • Added a "Lck Font" button in Setup: when active, the column width is not adjusted by GUI Zoom factor. Saved with the scene file settings.
    • Added a "Lck Size" button in Setup: when active, dialog is not resized upon item selection. Saved with the scene file settings.
    • Global Envelope button at the bottom is now functional.
    • Global Key button at the bottom is now functional.
    • Global Mute button at the bottom (Setup mode) is now functional.
    • PrevKey and NextKey from Layout now updates channel values.
    • Added global PrevKey and NextKey button at the bottom (for now, limited to current item).
    • [FIX] Dialog position is restored on load.

Known issues
    • Selecting an item shifts focus to the first data field. Press Esc or use the slider before using keyboard commands.
    • When applying --ui-screen-scale-factors as program parameters buttons may be too small to read their labels.
    • When using Sync button during multi-select, for now use the 1st slider. Also "E" and "K" do not update correctly.
    • When using multi-select, auto-range update of angle channels may be incorrect.
    • Maximum location and size of the dialog are slightly smaller than display size, so full-screen on 2nd monitor is not entirly possible.
    • PrevKey and NextKey button at this moment only works on last selected item.

Download Legato Sliders v0.4 here: LegatoSliders_v04.zip
    Last edited by vncnt; 05-04-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Download my free Legato plugin for CA in LightWave
    Pose- and Motion Libraries, tools to structure your story/poses/performances, X-sheet I/O, audio analysis, hotspot item selection, ...

I can't help to think that Legato Sliders most probably deserves a better thread title.

Thanks, Vncnt!
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast