Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit.

Learn LightWave 3D just uploaded this video...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Learn LightWave 3D just uploaded this video...
    Good info and great plugin thanks!

Why can't NewTek just do so simple low hanging fruit workflow improvements themselves and include them as core functionality. All these required workarounds make the software more and more messy, adding stuff on top. Great to have this improvements from a third party dev but it's hard to remember all these things when needed (thinking of the countless OD tools for example).

the answer is kinda like this i think...

number of Blender coders >

number of LightWave coders >

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Good info and great plugin thanks!

Why can't NewTek just do so simple low hanging fruit workflow improvements themselves and include them as core functionality. All these required workarounds make the software more and more messy, adding stuff on top. Great to have this improvements from a third party dev but it's hard to remember all these things when needed (thinking of the countless OD tools for example).
    Yep, it would be the best update to Lightwave BY FAR, like blender did.

It was mentioned that LW dev didn't see the point of auto-reload of images. Someone pushed for that to get in there (thanksyou!)
    What concerns me is if the Dev's could not recognise auto-reload of images as a necessity for good workflow, what else can't they see?
    That's the problem here, I think. Lack of understanding or recognition of how all these little things build up to one big thing in daily usage.

Should probably start a thread about workflow improvements and UX/UI and see if we can create an illustrated goto list to help them out. Make it as painless as possible to implement.

It was mentioned that LW dev didn't see the point of auto-reload of images. Someone pushed for that to get in there (thanksyou!)
    yeah, perhaps people should make polls.
    ...sometimes there are those glitches in the Matrix.

[cat walks by...]

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Should probably start a thread about workflow improvements and UX/UI and see if we can create an illustrated goto list to help them out. Make it as painless as possible to implement.
    Search for "low-hanging fruit" / "LHF" in the forums. Approach has been tried many times, yielded negligible improvements.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Time to add LightWave 2020 to my toolkit.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Search for "low-hanging fruit" / "LHF" in the forums. Approach has been tried many times, yielded negligible improvements.
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-hanging+fruit

hmm... :/

Trouble is... I think some low-hanging fruit, or things that look like low-hanging fruit, are probably harder than they seem.

Modeller for instance, is based on archaic code, all bolted together haphazardly and resting on an ancient framework. To touch anything in there is a nightmare, changing one tiny thing has a ripple effect to things you never would think it would touch.

BUT, things like the flat-menu search thing (Ctrl +Spacebar) that was added in 2019. I LOVE this! It has completely changed my workflows... for something that is low-hanging fruit, it makes a HUGE speedup to my workflows! It's indispensable, and I'm amazed it wasn't done before.

Wonder what other cool ideas there are, like this, that could be added? And are actual low-hanging fruit.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Trouble is... I think some low-hanging fruit, or things that look like low-hanging fruit, are probably harder than they seem.
    nope

Modeller for instance, is based on archaic code, all bolted together haphazardly and resting on an ancient framework. To touch anything in there is a nightmare, changing one tiny thing has a ripple effect to things you never would think it would touch.
    Someones job to do it. It's what we pay upgrade costs for, otherwise why pay?
    Time to use something else ?

BUT, things like the flat-menu search thing (Ctrl +Spacebar) that was added in 2019. I LOVE this! It has completely changed my workflows... for something that is low-hanging fruit, it makes a HUGE speedup to my workflows! It's indispensable, and I'm amazed it wasn't done before.
    good example. more of it.

Wonder what other cool ideas there are, like this, that could be added? And are actual low-hanging fruit.
    open any other 3d content app and observe.
    read the feature requests.
    search and read the 20 years + of forum threads
    look at the modeller survey results

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If you came to 3rd party developer and say "do this and this for me and I am paying this XXX (less than upgrade to the newer LW version)" it would be done within couple days or weeks, instead of wasting 16 years for corporation to do what you want....
    Sensi,
    Are you on the Facebook LW Support page?

Is your UnMultiShift standalone free or just part of the modeling package in 64 bit?

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Sensi,
    Are you on the Facebook LW Support page?
    I have no Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Is your UnMultiShift standalone free or just part of the modeling package in 64 bit?
    It's part of the TrueArt's Modeling Pack.
    http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

3dsMax is full of 3rd party addons = positive

MODO adds 3rd party addons = all good in MODO land

LW forum = Why does Modeler get no love, why should we have to buy 3rd party addons, development team aren't good enough, these should be in the price of LW, etc.

MODO forum = A bit of a ghost town, nobody thinks MODO is about to die or irrelevant.

LW forum = Busier and more active than MODO forums but yet LW is ready to die or not relevant anymore.

Think of the tools we have right now compared to yesterdays tools. You have more power than you know what to do with and yet you still want more. Time to focus on more productivity and put more graft into your work!!
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

haha,yesterdays tools are the same as last year, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before, which are the same as the year before.

go here and look at the pic with the schematic view from lw 6.5 in 2000, then look a the recent thread requesting lw schematic get some attention... 20 years later!

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...htwave-history

Look at the UI, look at the updates to the UI.

Look at modeller 6.0, look at tools in that, look at tools now. Yeah some have been added but vast majority is the same. Mostly its the renderer that's changed

UV's still broken since version 6.0. What about CC subdiv's ?

I still upgraded to 2020; purchased the right to complain
    Last edited by gar26lw; 05-13-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    UV's still broken since version 6.0. What about CC subdiv's ?
    UVs are broken?

Granted, not the most robust system for creating UVs and could definitely use some love... but broken? How so?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast