Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 212

Thread: Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit.

  1. #151
    Registered User Marty3DGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    50
    Would you change a spanner in your garage if it did the job, but was 20 years old?

    I do think annual software releases are a rip-off for sure, they simply do not contain enough content to warrant that asking price.

    I think software companies should go back to releasing products when it has lots of new features and merits a new upgrade price but they won't. You absorb development costs as part of an R&D strategy and then profit when the product is good and ready for release but that is how it should be done ethically and morally. Would you ask everyone to stump up cash to help you build a maybe house and then you profit and you alone from the final build? The only difference here is that these tools can help you make profit also, so that is the caveat.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

    LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

  2. #152
    Registered User Marty3DGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    50
    You buy specific tools for the job, does one software do everything in other types of work, say digital art or Cad design, NO.

    Why spend time building UV tools when everyone else can just buy 3D Coat or RizomUV, it's a waste of resource. The LW UV tools are functional and work fine, if you know how to UV properly they work. Does it have advanced packing or auto seam creation and unwrap, no, that's why you pay the money for a specialist tool, RizomUV.

    Why spend ages trying to recreate, copy and butcher someone elses modelling tools, say LWCAD. LW3DG you could argue give someone like Viktor the chance to earn a living and give him some breathing space to do this rather than steal all his ideas and put him out of work.

    There is enough in LW to do all the pipeline work apart from maybe more advanced texturing and detailing, the rest is just buying more efficient tools for the job.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

    LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

  3. #153
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    UVs are broken?

    Granted, not the most robust system for creating UVs and could definitely use some love... but broken? How so?
    they create points that are stuck and cannot be edited without unwelding. You might be able to search for "the unweld bug"
    You might thing, well who cares but this is a real problem when working on complex uv's and geo. Kills workflow.

    Generally to the best of my knowledge, 3rd party does not cause this so must be some issue in modeller tools.

  4. #154
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    Would you change a spanner in your garage if it did the job, but was 20 years old?
    depends what I am replacing it with or if the metric system came in.
    maybe the edges are worn and it slips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    I do think annual software releases are a rip-off for sure, they simply do not contain enough content to warrant that asking price.
    I don't mind paying if I feel there is something happening to address underlying issues and feature requests are being implemented i.e progress but we don't see much.

  5. #155
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    You buy specific tools for the job, does one software do everything in other types of work, say digital art or Cad design, NO.

    Why spend time building UV tools when everyone else can just buy 3D Coat or RizomUV, it's a waste of resource. The LW UV tools are functional and work fine, if you know how to UV properly they work. Does it have advanced packing or auto seam creation and unwrap, no, that's why you pay the money for a specialist tool, RizomUV.
    Sure but then why spend any time developing modeller, layout, IO, animation, particle systems, vdb etc etc when we can all use blender, modo, maya, c4d or max? Problem is, that is exactly what people are doing and why people are moaning.
    AND those tools you mention were catered for with 3rd party ODtools which are no longer developed due to the dev getting fed up with practices within the LW team (as far as I know) so more reason to dump LW in the long run.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    Why spend ages trying to recreate, copy and butcher someone elses modelling tools, say LWCAD. LW3DG you could argue give someone like Viktor the chance to earn a living and give him some breathing space to do this rather than steal all his ideas and put him out of work.
    I would LOVE it if they just handed him all of modeller to take care of. He'd do a great job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    There is enough in LW to do all the pipeline work apart from maybe more advanced texturing and detailing, the rest is just buying more efficient tools for the job.
    yeah but then you have IO issues and a more convoluted workflow. Sure, you cant get away from other tools but you don't want a tool for every aspect otherwise it gets sloppy.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post


    I would LOVE it if they just handed him [Edit: Viktor of LWCAD] all of modeller to take care of. He'd do a great job.


    This would truly garner momentum for an upgrade.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

  7. #157
    "Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit"

    I'm having the same thought ... :(
    I've been using LW for 25 years, it put food in my plate for almost 20 years. But today I'm thinking about moving to another software and remove LW completely from my workflow.
    I bought LW 2020 and didn't even install it. I've switched to Octane for several years now so the new LW render engine is useless to me, and to be honest, I don't think it's good. Really.
    It seems to me that a lot of people on this forum, and in the LW community in general, has lived in a bubble for the last 10 years. 10 years ago, you could hear and read things like "LW render engine is one of the best all-around render engines in the market".
    I believe it was true back then.
    It's not anymore. Really not.
    And a lot of people here kept believing that without even looking at other software.
    I personnaly believe that this "living in a bubble and ignoring the competition" thing is why Newtek took the decision to work exclusively on the renderer for the last few years.
    As I've said here before, it drives me crazy to come here and see people be proud or happy to post 1080p renders that took 1 hour to render. This is just wrong. I just want to say "wake up, nobody waits hours for an image anymore, look at Kray, Octane, Redshift, Vray, Arnold or even Cycles, it's just not how it works nowadays".
    But I don't, because who am I to judge ?
    The truth is I'm just so sad to see that LW is stuck, stuck 15 years behind the competition.
    I'm just so sad :(

  8. #158

    Most professional have a gradual transition to other software.

    i skipped the AutoDesk route, tried Houdini, but thought it was too slow (nodes) and currently test-run Blender.

    LightWave is great for smack-up stuff (imo), with great quality.

    but of course it is less great for this, less great for that.

    ----------

    if you feel LightWave isn't worth it anymore, jump to another package, but please write a list of lacks on "the way out".
    for example; - Lacks a default Cube.

    but to be clear, nothing wrong with changing software.
    Last edited by erikals; 05-13-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  9. #159
    Registered User tyrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in lights
    Posts
    2,251
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Most professional have a gradual transition to other software.

    i skipped the AutoDesk route, tried Houdini, but thought it was too slow (nodes) and currently test-run Blender.

    LightWave is great for smack-up stuff (imo), with great quality.

    but of course it is less great for this, less great for that.

    ----------

    if you feel LightWave isn't worth it anymore, jump to another package, but please write a list of lacks on "the way out".
    for example; - Lacks a default Cube.

    but to be clear, nothing wrong with changing software.
    please make a transition videos from lightwave to blender.. i gotta try that too..

  10. #160

    not sure that'll happen.

    i know LightWave Brent made some tho'
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  11. #161
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,389
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    please make a transition videos from lightwave to blender.. i gotta try that too..
    I might have some plans to do a little small guide, but not really a transition video, just to showcase how you set things up in lw and how you set things up in blender..to check workflow and such.
    If I´ll get some time to do it.

  12. #162
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,484
    at this point it seems that the last people using lw and posting regularly on here are all moving on.

    not good

  13. #163

    at this point it seems that the last people using lw and posting regularly on here are all moving on.
    nah, not yet anyways...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  14. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    at this point it seems that the last people using lw and posting regularly on here are all moving on.

    not good
    A few may but some of those are bound to come back because no software is perfect and they are seem to have their weaknesses. As I learned the grass is not always greener on the other side.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  15. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I still upgraded to 2020; purchased the right to complain
    Worth quoting.
    Tim Parsons

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •