Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Modeling creation tools in Layout shows up, what tool would you need the most?

If Modeling creation tools in Layout shows up, what tool would you need the most?

Well...maybe this thread will go to h...

Anyway...this is not about wether or not there will be or wether or not there should be or shouldnīt be...for modeling tools in Layout.
    But it is about If there later on suddently will be implemented ..and as such finally has it.

so no discussions of wether you believe or not there eventually will be or not or if it should, that is my rules, go elsewhere for that

so as a premise we assume the foundation is there and they have started this implementation..and as such we can not know what tools they start with.
    So what tool would you like to see for the modeling toolset in Lightwave layout.

Would it be text generation that is parametrical?
    Would it be extending extruding of all the elements such as faces, vertices, edges..with animation options.
    Would it be curve creation tools that also can be animated as paths..and also featuring bevel/thicken profiles?
    Would it be sculpting tools that allow for dynamicly changing the mesh resolution?

Those are just some suggestions...but the choice and wishes are yours to bring up

fairy tale

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Seriously.
    you had 1 modeler update over a 14 month period... yes

To be honest, the single most vital thing that would drastically improve Modeler is to bring the UI out of the 19th century. I don't need new tools; just unhobble those we already have.

I won't go into details as we all have a several page list I'm sure.

But take care of the Basic's first.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    you had 1 modeler update over a 14 month period... yes
    What part of my intitial call do you guys not understand?..this topic was clearly described as..do not argue about if or not any modeling tools will arrive..I made that very clear.

If you have something constructive and a serious mindset ..actually knowing what you would want, name it and do not talk about the if or when or not modeling tools will arrive...se my highlight in my starting post.
    You can talk about whatever you want if you feel like it, but donīt expect me to meet up with a nice smile on it since I made all that clear...Ok

I am just curious to what the main tools would be as of high interest from users ..when it pertains Layout modeling tools...the other what if, never or later or perhaps..that we have gone through before.
    I understand the urge and frustration and the lust for mocking and complaining about the whole thing, but set that aside..either join in with something you want..or just stay out of the thread and do something else in another thread...or modeling for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    To be honest, the single most vital thing that would drastically improve Modeler is to bring the UI out of the 19th century. I don't need new tools; just unhobble those we already have.

I won't go into details as we all have a several page list I'm sure.

But take care of the Basic's first.
    There is two issues, those trying to participate in this thread..but does so with a different agenda.
    And there will be an issue of seperating what you would need improved for modeling itself, such as improved already modeler tools, and that is also sort of a different matter though it is related.

For instance..Personally I would want new curve tools in layout, which would be procedurally changable until you apply a convert to mesh...in layout it would be able to act as animatable extrusions also, but for modeler animation options would make no sense.
    and the new things for curves in modeler would also be the same, a procedurally changable modifier stack, but I do not think that will be possible in modeler, so I vote for that as one of the first modeling tools to get there.

I'll play a bit.

One of my pet peeves in Lightwave are the incredibly poor text tools. The absolute worst of any 3d tool. What I would like to see in the ultimate text tool:

- completely non-destructive
    - full control over resolution: both front/back and sides, casps, and overall text curves resolution
    - visual widgets to control: kerning, tracking, word spacing, baseline shift, individual letter size (horizontal and vertical), skewing, leading, underline with full width and positional controls.
    - state of the art letter beveling, with custom profiles. Extrusion controls.
    - separate materials for caps, sides.
    - support for multi-line text, paragraphs, and multiple text columns. And all related properties (indentation, alignment, etc.)
    - optical margin alignment
    - full animation control over individual letters, text lines, paragraphs, and columns.
    - full animation control over all text parameters.
    - load up text from an external text file while staying linked
    - object fonts (use arbitrary objects as letter replacements)
    - full compatibility with non-western fonts. Full support for spical unicode features.
    - compatible with coloured SVG fonts.
    - beautiful clean geometry
    - custom UVs for each letter. Also smart auto texture space.
    - built-in animated text effects presets. Hundreds of them, with a panel to quickly apply them to your text.
    - compatible with particles, volumetrics, and cell fracture.
    - easy text curve controls with advanced text/letter behaviour how the text is placed on the curve.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I'll play a bit.

One of my pet peeves in Lightwave are the incredibly poor text tools. The absolute worst of any 3d tool. What I would like to see in the ultimate text tool:

- full control over resolution: both front/back and sides, casps, and overall text curves resolution
    - visual widgets to control: kerning, tracking, word spacing, baseline shift, individual letter size (horizontal and vertical), skewing, leading, underline with full width and positional controls.
    - support for multi-line text, paragraphs, and multiple text columns. And all related properties (indentation, alignment, etc.)
    - full animation control over individual letters, text lines, paragraphs, and columns.
    Do you mean TrueArt's TrueType plug-in which is available for years?
    http://truetypetext.trueart.eu

No, much too limited. And what is up with that primitive GUI? Use a proper text editor for larger texts (Blender).

Text should be directly editable in the viewport (Blender). Important adjustments should be controlled with viewport widgets (C4d, Max). Each individual letter should be able to be styled independently.

Anyway, why is that plugin so expensive? Any other 3d DCC has those minimal options built-in. I am talking the ULTIMATE text tool, combining all the best features of all 3d app text tools combined.

The text tool to eclipse all other 3d text tools.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

I'll play a bit.

- state of the art letter beveling, with custom profiles. Extrusion controls.
    - separate materials for caps, sides.
    - object fonts (use arbitrary objects as letter replacements)
    - full compatibility with non-western fonts. Full support for spical unicode features.
    - compatible with coloured SVG fonts.
    - beautiful clean geometry
    - custom UVs for each letter. Also smart auto texture space.
    - built-in animated text effects presets. Hundreds of them, with a panel to quickly apply them to your text.
    - compatible with particles, volumetrics, and cell fracture.
    - easy text curve controls with advanced text/letter behaviour how the text is placed on the curve.
    Thanks for the input..and I am almost willing to chime in on all that as One of the most needed modeling tools in layout, hard to say..
    I think I have 3 of them as the most important and that is curves, text tools just like you described, and sculpting with dynamic remeshing.

And yes..while you can admire and applause senseis tools, that will not be for me..since I can use blender with much more functionality I think...and for free.
    For lightwave ..it needs to transcend in to the full core I think, and be included in the main purchase.

What else do we got, must have missed something?

TrueArt Support
    And what is up with that primitive GUI? Use a proper text editor for larger texts (Blender).
    There is used, what is available and possible to be used (LWPanelFuncs TEXT_CTL() control)..
    If something else would be used it would not work on Macintosh, and portability of the plugin would be not possible.

There is button to load any text made in 3rd party text editor of your choice. One of things that you mentioned on the list.

Text should be directly editable in the viewport (Blender).
    That's interesting thought. Feature to listen for any key presses made by user, has been added just recently to LWSDK. At the time when plugin was made it was not possible to do it in portable way yet.

Important adjustments should be controlled with viewport widgets (C4d, Max). Each individual letter should be able to be styled independently.

Anyway, why is that plugin so expensive?
    Is that joke?

If I would be living in USA, it should cost $300 per copy, considering amount of work involved.
    (using USA minimum wage $7.25/h)

Any other 3d DCC has those minimal options built-in. I am talking the ULTIMATE text tool, combining all the best features of all 3d app text tools combined.

The text tool to eclipse all other 3d text tools.
    Then write it, and release for free..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    There is used, what is available and possible to be used (LWPanelFuncs TEXT_CTL() control)..
    If something else would be used it would not work on Macintosh, and portability of the plugin would be not possible.

There is button to load any text made in 3rd party text editor of your choice. One of things that you mentioned on the list.

That's interesting thought. Feature to listen for any key presses made by user, has been added just recently to LWSDK. At the time when plugin was made it was not possible to do it in portable way yet.

Is that joke?

If I would be living in USA, it should cost $300 per copy, considering amount of work involved.
    (using USA minimum wage $7.25/h)

Thereīs two worlds in conflict, when people can acess these kinds of things for free, why would they spend so much many on a plugin for it..just the way it is,
    itīs not to say you earn it and it can be justified with the development in mind, itīs just the way it is and you will probably not be able to sell much of it in a near future.
    Things like this should be bought up by newtek..and pay you decently for it.

I apologize: I really did not take all of this too seriously. It's a good plugin for Lightwave if the user needs better text options. My comment about the pricing was out of order, and written in a silly mood (I take that back).

Take my previous post with a fairly large chunk of salt: I have not found the perfect text tool in any 3d software as of yet. Here I was merely imagining the "most excellent and brilliant text tool in a 3d app". It does not exist (yet?). Each 3d app has its limitations and nice options.

But I do stand by my comment about Lightwave having the worst text tool. Good to see your plugin fix that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Actually, I have been thinking about looking into Blender's text tool code, and improve it. But there are so many other things I want to do and code. And then there's work taking up time as well.

Priorities, priorities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast