Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LW 2020 Pricing

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be upgrading this year for the first time in forever. Why? The corona virus. Even though we had LW in the budget for 2020, this virus had come along and has hurt our company in a big way so most expenditures have been put on hold for the remainder of the year. Had LW been released before all this went down we would be using it now.

for a company, LightWave is pocket money.

+ all one has to do is skip an upgrade or two.

might be cheaper to buy from Liberty3D also, haven't checked just yet.
    Last edited by erikals; 05-12-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I sure hope there is someone is management who is aware of Autodesk new indie pricing for Max and Maya which was Autodesks reaction to Blender 2.8.
    Last September'ish I got the Maya Indie scrip and I hope at the end of the year they continue the program. Still upgraded to beloved Lightwave when it released, though.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    Last September'ish I got the Maya Indie scrip and I hope at the end of the year they continue the program. Still upgraded to beloved Lightwave when it released, though.

Steve
    Ya I noticed in the fine print it says it's a limited time off which leaves the door open to getting rid of it or changing it at any time.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be upgrading this year for the first time in forever. Why? The corona virus. Even though we had LW in the budget for 2020, this virus had come along and has hurt our company in a big way so most expenditures have been put on hold for the remainder of the year. Had LW been released before all this went down we would be using it now.
    That's too bad. My business had a bit of a rough year last year but was on the rebound early this year until the pandemic hit and now seems to be treading water again. My biggest regular client is going out of business and still owes me a good chunk of money that I most likely will not be able to collect. I managed to put some money aside for rough times so I thought I would dip into it and keep Lightwave upgraded while I could still get the charter price and pre order LWCAD 2020. There were some other software upgrades I wanted to get but those are on hold for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    keep Lightwave upgraded while I could still get the charter price
    Did you upgrade to LW2015? Or skip any updates since LW2015?

I ask because you mentioned "Charter Pricing" (the lowest of which was $395), but if you upgraded to LW2015 and "stayed current", your LW2020 upgrade price should have been $295, not $395.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-12-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Did you upgrade to LW2015? Or skip any updates since LW2015?

I ask because you mentioned "Charter Pricing" (the lowest of which was $395), but if you upgraded to LW2015 and "stayed current", your LW2020 upgrade price should have been $295, not $395.
    Yes I upgraded to 2015 and stayed current since. For some reason I thought the charter pricing started back with LW Core but it appears I was wrong and got confused somewhere along the way. You must be right because I went back looking through my email and it appears I paid $495 USD for LW11 so LW2015 must have triggered the current discount then like you said. Anyhow I ended up paying $295 to upgrade from 2019 to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    for a company, LightWave is pocket money.

+ all one has to do is skip an upgrade or two.

might be cheaper to buy from Liberty3D also, haven't checked just yet.
    You'd think so, but last week they even took away the company match on our 401k's.

Dang, sorry to hear that, How many LW licenses you have ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

yeah, might make sense for NT to have a "Corona Situation" sale at some point down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Dang, sorry to hear that, How many LW licenses you have ?
    Only 6 that are relatively up to date, 3- LW2019 and 3 - LW2018, but then there are 4 or 5 seats of 9.6 that haven't been used for some time.
    All the LW2019 seats get used 8hrs a day. The 2018's are being used sparingly in our marketing department when certain projects come up.

Well they should at least find 900$ to update 2019 licenses. You could really use Local mode in modeling for some cases (I'm already used to it for some modeling tasks ) and new rendering/GI since you use native render would give you also some advantages.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

LW Watcher
    Only 6 that are relatively up to date, 3- LW2019 and 3 - LW2018, but then there are 4 or 5 seats of 9.6 that haven't been used for some time.
    All the LW2019 seats get used 8hrs a day. The 2018's are being used sparingly in our marketing department when certain projects come up.
    I'm quite surprised to see LW in use in a furniture company - I guess visualisation and design? I'm even more surprised to see it in use in the marketing department (3D is not usually a skill I attribute to marketing staff).

Lastly, if you do use LW for modelling I'm surprised because for woodworking I'd expect some kind of CAD/NURBS package for precise parts.

How are you using LW in the business?

BTW it must be tough right now, so hope things go right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Well they should at least find 900$ to update 2019 licenses. You could really use Local mode in modeling for some cases (I'm already used to it for some modeling tasks ) and new rendering/GI since you use native render would give you also some advantages.
    You'd think - but my boss is very conservative and follows the companies wishes. Yes, the Local mode is very handy. As far as rendering I'm finding interiors - https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1594088 - render much faster, but our simple product on white backgrounds are slower. I haven't done any optimizations of the 2019 scenes to see if I can improve those times yet and maybe won't as my demo only has 9 days left.

I'm quite surprised to see LW in use in a furniture company
    i've used LightWave for similar stuff. it works Great.

but heavy production design is trickier if it requires lots of parts.
    for that you need an ArchViz standard, can't recall the name. (it creates an excel file containing numbers of nuts/bolts, etc etc)
    related > (BIM) and ansi architectural standards. and (BOM) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_materials
    Last edited by erikals; 05-15-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast