Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 81 of 81

Thread: LW 2020 Pricing

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm quite surprised to see LW in use in a furniture company - I guess visualisation and design? I'm even more surprised to see it in use in the marketing department (3D is not usually a skill I attribute to marketing staff).

    Lastly, if you do use LW for modelling I'm surprised because for woodworking I'd expect some kind of CAD/NURBS package for precise parts.

    How are you using LW in the business?

    BTW it must be tough right now, so hope things go right for you.
    Actually LW is almost perfect for the kind of furniture we make. Every piece of furniture is flat packed in a box so most parts in the LW model are just simple boxes. Every design is conceptualized on paper and then modeled and rendered in LW. Of course everything is modeled to scale with the help of LWCad. We might go through a dozen or so revisions of the LW model before we get exactly what we think we might want to produce. And with the excellent rendering capabilities we can show the customer (Walmart, Target, Amazon, Wayfair etc.) our vision and get buy in before we ever create a prototype. Once we get that buy in, the engineering department steps in and makes a CAD model. Its very hard for engineering to work at the pace we need to get designs in front of the customer and of course rendering is very crude with no woodgrain etc. when using CAD tools. We've been using LW in this manner for over 20 years. Marketing uses LW for carton mockups etc.

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Actually LW is almost perfect for the kind of furniture we make. Every piece of furniture is flat packed in a box so most parts in the LW model are just simple boxes. Every design is conceptualized on paper and then modeled and rendered in LW. Of course everything is modeled to scale with the help of LWCad. We might go through a dozen or so revisions of the LW model before we get exactly what we think we might want to produce. And with the excellent rendering capabilities we can show the customer (Walmart, Target, Amazon, Wayfair etc.) our vision and get buy in before we ever create a prototype. Once we get that buy in, the engineering department steps in and makes a CAD model. Its very hard for engineering to work at the pace we need to get designs in front of the customer and of course rendering is very crude with no woodgrain etc. when using CAD tools. We've been using LW in this manner for over 20 years. Marketing uses LW for carton mockups etc.
    I always enjoy hearing how others are using Lightwave and how they use it in their process. Has Newtek ever done a Lightwave press/news article on how you use Lightwave for furniture design? It would be cool if they did.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  3. #78
    LW Watcher
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    You'd think - but my boss is very conservative and follows the companies wishes. Yes, the Local mode is very handy. As far as rendering I'm finding interiors - https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1594088 - render much faster, but our simple product on white backgrounds are slower. I haven't done any optimizations of the 2019 scenes to see if I can improve those times yet and maybe won't as my demo only has 9 days left.
    Blown away by your renders - I thought they were photographs.

    I can see why you work there.

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I always enjoy hearing how others are using Lightwave and how they use it in their process. Has Newtek ever done a Lightwave press/news article on how you use Lightwave for furniture design? It would be cool if they did.
    Yeah back in the day when we were first starting to use 3D to conceptualize our products we used Rhino to model and LW to render. We were using Modeler to clean up the Rhino model and add surfaces, so that lasted all of a couple months before we said screw that Rhino stuff! So we've been using LW ever since 5.5 and have upgraded to every new version - with apparently LW2020 now being the exception. Newtek has never contacted us - that's fine. I like things on the lowdown.

    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Blown away by your renders - I thought they were photographs.

    I can see why you work there.
    Thanks so much. LW2018 - 2019 have been the difference for sure.

  5. #80
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah back in the day when we were first starting to use 3D to conceptualize our products we used Rhino to model and LW to render. We were using Modeler to clean up the Rhino model and add surfaces, so that lasted all of a couple months before we said screw that Rhino stuff! So we've been using LW ever since 5.5 and have upgraded to every new version - with apparently LW2020 now being the exception. Newtek has never contacted us - that's fine. I like things on the lowdown.



    Thanks so much. LW2018 - 2019 have been the difference for sure.

    I remember when I did gym renders for a company, I didnīt do any modeling really, except for some minor attributes and fixing, weldings, cushions etc.
    The engineer did the constructions in solidworks, and all that was sent to the factory guys, both here in sweden and in china, but at that time in 2010-12, he couldnīt render out the machines, he tried with maxwell..but for him it took hours, and he couldnīt get nice looking cushions which were soft shaped in real life mostly, while his was just the mould bone so to speak, so I had to model that (crappy at that time really) but it looked better than what he could get with solidworks.
    Also did some lockers ..which we sold before we had any pictures or had gotten them from china, so we sold them with the help of the Lightwave renders and the locker models I made.

    And we established a pipeline to have it render fast in lightwave, at that time fprime was also a little unique in itīs speed and workflow..which now has been surpassed by others.
    But that was then, I think I would recommend something else nowadays.

  6. #81
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    You'd think - but my boss is very conservative and follows the companies wishes. Yes, the Local mode is very handy. As far as rendering I'm finding interiors - https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1594088 - render much faster, but our simple product on white backgrounds are slower. I haven't done any optimizations of the 2019 scenes to see if I can improve those times yet and maybe won't as my demo only has 9 days left.
    I did report the slowness of the env light on simple product shots, in comparison to 2019... and they've replied... so hoping this will be sorted for a patch maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Actually LW is almost perfect for the kind of furniture we make. Every piece of furniture is flat packed in a box so most parts in the LW model are just simple boxes. Every design is conceptualized on paper and then modeled and rendered in LW. Of course everything is modeled to scale with the help of LWCad. We might go through a dozen or so revisions of the LW model before we get exactly what we think we might want to produce. And with the excellent rendering capabilities we can show the customer (Walmart, Target, Amazon, Wayfair etc.) our vision and get buy in before we ever create a prototype. Once we get that buy in, the engineering department steps in and makes a CAD model. Its very hard for engineering to work at the pace we need to get designs in front of the customer and of course rendering is very crude with no woodgrain etc. when using CAD tools. We've been using LW in this manner for over 20 years. Marketing uses LW for carton mockups etc.
    Really nice to hear stories like this, how it's being used and why. Love a good success story
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •