Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LW 2020 Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

no, i don't think so, rather as a division.

It's just syntax, I suppose, but I would say that NewTek does exists as a company, and that company is a member of "Vizrt Group".
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    On a technicality, does Newtek still exist as a company?
    Buying a company means taking on its assets and liabilities. Ownership transitions don't negate obligations, unless bankruptcy is involved (obviously not the case here).
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-27-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Go look at the quoted post. It isn't the least little bit ambiguous.

HC charter pricing was for "next 5", but Powers' offer was, indeed, "FOREVER".

Personally, that version upgrade's value is VERY overpriced at $295. Mostly bug fixes pretending to be "new features". Fah.

No more paying for yet more render fixes for already messed up "new render engine" (BF/IC/SSS/ToneMapping/EnvLight) as if "features".

No more paying for yet another attempt to make FFX a tolerable hair system.

No more paying for an eight millionth reimplementation of FBX that still isn't fully functional.

No more paying devs to break a bunch of features/plugins (they'll never fix) every time they add one. In fact, no more paying for poorly-designed, minimally tested, negligibly verified code hacking masquerading as "release quality" software.

Just no more.
    All valid points. But I have found the FBX implementations quite good in the 20xx series. I have been moving between several apps via FBX and LW hasn't been the weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by FredyN View Post
    I have LW 7, 8, 9, 10,11, 18 and 19 and my discounted upgrade price for 2020 is 549,60€/594$ (458€ + 91,60€ VAT)/(495$ + 99$ VAT)
    i can add box from 3.5 amiga...

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    The extra discount was for what they called 'Hardcore' members. So, people who bought into the Core beta testing and things. Since then, if you haven't missed an update, you get the extra discount. (For five upgrades, which means this is the final one).
    i was in the core beta testing program.
    but my upgrade stay officially on 495$ which with tax, change to euros and more i touch 600$$$$

someone told that i must contact support...
    mm to be tough and quite honest, if this division/company is not enought well organized to offer (develop a simple web system) to give right discount to people that support software from 25 years, or less, i think they not have enough resource to develop an update good for my money. And next years ask me the same, but with a future? we not have a roadmap from years, and when lw3d division develop it, disappear for three years...
    for the same or less money i can have :
    octane render subscription 2 years for 349$ (all plugin, service and more)
    cinema 4d annual subscription 720 euros (but with nab offert it's 50% less)
    houdini indie (i'm indipendent) 399$ for 2 years
    i must continue?
    i beleive in Lightwave3d for many years, my name was also in content for many years, but at today...
    i just have to pay many other softwares that give me real upgrade...
    anyway, next year if there will be a real upgrade I will pay it the same whether I do this year or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    All valid points. But I have found the FBX implementations quite good in the 20xx series. I have been moving between several apps via FBX and LW hasn't been the weak link.
    Yes I'm not sure about other stuff that FBX fornat supports but if your using it just for bringing in FBX models which is what I do, Lightwaves FBX seems to be better in that regard than some other software.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

madrenderman, you might wanna contact tech support.
    check if the price is correct.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Just seems foolish to have a system where the price of software is based on "if you upgrade every year (or time period) you can keep the lowest available price. What, no one lose their job, illness, a pandemic? And when we offer and upgrade, which we won't tell you when it will happen, you then have 30 some days to make the choice? And then if they suddenly switch and give everyone the low update price, those that kept their updates up-to-date will be upset having paid for updates they might not have needed, but wanted to stay in the "low price upgrade" path. Really seems like a "no win" situation that keeps re-energizing itself year-after-year.
    09Jul20: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v451.67 (09Jul20), LG Ultra 4K (2)

Maybe this price structure would work.

Anyone that has never missed an upgrade - $295

Upgrading from LW2019 or last version - $395

Upgrading from any older version of LW - $495
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

The price structure is set......
    Either buy it or don’t.
    This same debate comes up every year.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

Frequenter
    One may argue if any of the prices for LW-upgrades are fair for what you get for your money, of course thatīs up to decide for everyone by him-/herself. But I just felt the urge to sum up a few numbers up to get a bit of a full picture here:

So for a regular - always current - upgrader we have to pay US $ 295 at the moment, and chances might be that it would stay that way, given we will see a new "full" version at all. Still, there is an official statement uttered by Mr. Powers back in the day that says so. But that we shall see (see line above).
    So thatīs US $ 295.00 (or about ~ 273.00 € currently over here, that some have to pay VAT on top is hardly Newtekīs fault, right? ) and let me compare this for a moment to other 3D applications - letīs leave the "B"-app alone for a moment:
    You will have to pay a YEARLY US $ 1,620.00 respectively 2,101.00 € over here for 3dsMax/Maya (there is no chance for any of us to shop A***d*sk outside of our own countries region to get a chance of a lower rental price)
    And ~ US $ 720.00 [€ is the same) for also a yearly rental license of C4D (without Redshift that is..)
    SideFX offers an maintainance upgrade for Houdini Core, which is by no means a full featured application for US $ 995.00 per yearly fee (Houdini FX sums up to 2,495.00 yearly). Sure, there is als a Indie License that goes for a yearly (rental only) of US $ 269. Quite possible the conditions for the Indie would apply to most around here. So thatīs a real deal, that those seriously should consider, those who wish to work in Houdini that is.

Well, and to those who do find it unfair that there is a bit steeper price to upgrade please consider, that those who have been always current also did pay the 295.00 for the 2018 and the 2019 upgrade. Those who - for instance - upgrade from V9.x / 10.x / 11.x or 2015.x can do so for less all together. And they get all features that we others had to pay for to use them over the years . I suppose those potential upgraders would like to get their hands on those features otherwise they would hardly wish to upgrade at all, right?

Without comparing other software........
    We have Autocad/Revit at work on maintenance, which is paid yearly.
    Personally I see pretty much no difference in either software over the years, just a bit sleeker here and there, and yet it still costs annually.

Software still needs tweaking under the hood, to make it sleeker, so I have no grumbles with LW updates.
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I don't think it was "F-O-R-E-V-E-R" either. Just for the five following upgrades.

B
    I myself can piece together a story of Core-ish-ness being brought to LW over the past 10 years. (the basis for the (? 5-year) good-faith offering by LW3D team, at the time the Core project was shuttered)

I would like for NewTek to earnestly share with me its vision of how LW-old has been piecemeal upgraded to include Core technology over those years. Own it, the intention of Core and how it's benefited the product since the pivot. Communicate the value to the regular and "Hardcore" users. Marketing.
    Last edited by ncr100; 05-02-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö Ī Py

Quote Originally Posted by madrenderman View Post
    i can add box from 3.5 amiga...

i was in the core beta testing program.
    but my upgrade stay officially on 495$ which with tax, change to euros and more i touch 600$$$$

someone told that i must contact support...
    mm to be tough and quite honest, if this division/company is not enought well organized to offer (develop a simple web system) to give right discount to people that support software from 25 years, or less, i think they not have enough resource to develop an update good for my money. And next years ask me the same, but with a future? we not have a roadmap from years, and when lw3d division develop it, disappear for three years...
    for the same or less money i can have :
    octane render subscription 2 years for 349$ (all plugin, service and more)
    cinema 4d annual subscription 720 euros (but with nab offert it's 50% less)
    houdini indie (i'm indipendent) 399$ for 2 years
    i must continue?
    i beleive in Lightwave3d for many years, my name was also in content for many years, but at today...
    i just have to pay many other softwares that give me real upgrade...
    anyway, next year if there will be a real upgrade I will pay it the same whether I do this year or not.
    You may have been in testing group for core, so was I...

The offer ONLY stands if you upgraded every year since then! If you've done that then you should have the cheaper price!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

I did get confirmation that Lightwave 2020 is the last of the Charter Membership upgrade pricing. Five major upgrades.

From whom........?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast