Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

<Purchases upgrade via iPad.>
    <Runs to desktop to download.>

Interesting that the Cleverbridge order statement says “Your download link is valid until 5-8-2020”. These should be permanently available from ones LW user account, no?
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    "GPU not supported" and this is with an Nvidia RTX 2080ti founders edn. Great
    Didn't work for me either on my RTX 2070.
    Installed new driver - now it works like a charm!

So you are paying for something that doesn't exist ? with no roadmap or idea of what it will be? I have a bridge to sell you..
    I'm not paying for anything - my boss will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by devin View Post
    You can drag the images onto the desktop and they are much larger in size. It looks like these were intended to be expandable (cursor changes) but aren't working.
    Thanks!
    Tim Parsons

It appears future point releases will be quite interesting according to what's in the docs.

Im on the fence still. I keep having an issue that if I enable VPR, it works, then if I switch back to one of the other modes, VPR wont come back. Though it coulda been FFX related, but I loaded a scene that had no real special things and same issue. Happens on both my big box and laptop.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2020.0.2, Unreal 4.25...
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus ROG i7-10875H x 8 , 64gb, RTX-2070 Super

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Im on the fence still. I keep having an issue that if I enable VPR, it works, then if I switch back to one of the other modes, VPR wont come back. Though it coulda been FFX related, but I loaded a scene that had no real special things and same issue. Happens on both my big box and laptop.
    Also run into the same issue along with massive slowdowns in scenes with genoma rigs.
    After doing some poking around I found that turning off threaded mesh evaluations in the preferences panel fixed the problem.

Now it works as expected.
    Last edited by Hail; 04-23-2020 at 11:22 PM.

I think this is a very good release, since here we got the main thing - the first major shift towards deep modernization of the renderer (the shader system that appeared in the 2018 version is only a preparatory stage, by and large, although important). This is a fairly flexible renderer, which allows you to get good results even for complex animated scenes at an acceptable time.
    If you do not have a renderer, it is difficult for you to attract new users who, although they receive a self-sufficient package, include modeling, animation, and rendering.
    But if this question is closed for you - you can go to all other points - improve old tools, add new ones, upgrade Modeler or integrate it with the Layout.
    So I welcome this release.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    But almost all software companies are giving massive discounts during this global economic crisis to help the creative community. Brand new licenses from other companies are regularly 50% off this month, not to mention upgrades, ...
    Examples and/or links, please.

I have been on the hunt for good CGI software bargains and haven’t seen any since Black Friday. The only Covid-related one I’ve come across so far is RenderMan @ 25% off which I bought. I’m hoping Octane will offer a discount soon.

If the UI was cleaned up, as many have asked for then that would be good enough reason to upgrade but look at it! Its getting worse with each release. I cant get my head around it.

If I had access to the dev I'd fix it myself, for everyone, for free. I don't really know what to say, at this point there is no real use in bitchin or moaning as it won't make any difference, it never does. These fixes are blatantly obvious to anyone too, that's what I don't get. There is only one explanation.

Its truly disappointing.
    Yes it's sad. I can not imagine they still have anyone doing UI related stuff since years, the UI changes from LW 11 (or earlier) till today are close to none and what has been added was not well tought of. Yes, some new render and surfacing panels, a command search and few Node Editor changes, but even those are not done very well compared to other 3D applications. db&w and OD have done more with small plugins - of course only what's possible within the limits of the sdk / application. If their UI developer is still there and employed more then 10% he should be ashamed of himself!

Something I don't get is: there's a new smart phone app for monitoring renders? They had time for that? Anyway that is more a summer job for a dev student or hobby project of one of the devs.

About OpenGL improvents, LW still has the worst looking viewport. Look at realtime hair, antialiasing, procedural materials or reflections in the C4D S22 viewport (most of it since several releases before) or Eevee.

While I'm glad for the VDB addons, FBX and GI improvements, the overall release is annoying me. Most of the few new features are things that other 3D applications would list in the 'more improvements' section / full release notes. At least they didn't waste too much time on Modeler.

The LW Content is getting thinner and worse with every release. Some provided scenes are horrible to look at, one is locking up Layout (the render chair one) and there is no art visible in any of them.

The product marketing texts are a joke - no, an outright lie. Fresh, leading etc, that's serious BS.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-24-2020 at 12:41 AM.

I’m just happy I have LightWave 2020 shortcut icons on my desktop now.

Sure I could have simply renamed the LightWave 2019 icons to 2020 but it wouldn’t be the same.

I found an unpleasant bug - very low OGL performance compared to 2019 on scenes with character animation - for example, in a scene with a Dinosaur from content by 2019. The difference is about 10-20 times.

Last edited by OFF; 04-24-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes it's sad. I can not imagine they still have anyone doing UI related stuff since years, the UI changes from LW 11 (or earlier) till today are close to none and what has been added was not well tought of. Yes, some new render and surfacing panels, a command search and few Node Editor changes, but even those are not done very well. db&w and OD have done more with small plugins but of course only what's possible within the limits of the sdk / application. If their UI developer is still there and employed more then 10% he should be ashamed of himself!

Something I don't get is: there's a new smart phone app for monitoring renders? They had time for that? Anyway that is more a summer job for a dev student or hobby project of one of the devs.

While I'm glad for the few VDB addons and GI improvements, the overall release is annoying me. At least they didn't waste too much time on Modeler.

The LW Content is getting thinner and worse with every release. Some provided scenes are horrible to look at, one is locking up Layout (the render chair one) and there is no art visible in any of them.

The product marketing texts are a joke. Fresh, leading etc, that's serious BS.
    There is Papou who is selling his UI tool as a plugin for Lightwave, wether or not that would have an impact on the LW team thinking about doing something more with the UI or not we can only speculate.

There is One major UI fix I think is one of the most important one..and that is the multiselection scaling of x,y,z values for items such as scaling uniformly of textures, and other channels, modo has it, houdini has it, blender has it..but despite this being mentioned years ago, (Matt Gorner was aware of it and mentioned what was needed to be implemented) it simply wasn´t about time to implement it yet as can be seen.

That being said, I agree... there are many other UI messings for the 2018-2019 versions I do not like either, seems they need to take a serious look on what they are doing now with all that, can not tell about 2020 though.
    For the UI of 2019, some better stuff though...searching all the menus are nice, but you need to keep having the mouse down with the right hand while writing in the menu context with the other hand, it would be better if the search string menu could be on top till you hit enter for your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal to Noise View Post
    I’m just happy I have LightWave 2020 shortcut icons on my desktop now.

Sure I could have simply renamed the LightWave 2019 icons to 2020 but it wouldn’t be the same.
    You could also have made your own icons by yourself but who bothers to put time in that really..if it isn´t crucial or if someone would be asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kfiram View Post
    Didn't work for me either on my RTX 2070.
    Installed new driver - now it works like a charm!
    Ah, great, I'll have to try that, I saw that optix is on 6.5 in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    There is One major UI fix I think is one of the most important one..and that is the multiselection scaling of x,y,z values for items such as scaling uniformly of textures, and other channels, modo has it, houdini has it, blender has it..but despite this being mentioned years ago, (Matt Gorner was aware of it and mentioned what was needed to be implemented) it simply wasn´t about time to implement it yet as can be seen.

That being said, I agree... there are many other UI messings for the 2018-2019 versions I do not like either, seems they need to take a serious look on what they are doing now with all that, can not tell about 2020 though.
    For the UI of 2019, some better stuff though...searching all the menus are nice, but you need to keep having the mouse down with the right hand while writing in the menu context with the other hand, it would be better if the search string menu could be on top till you hit enter for your search.
    Matt must have left or is on other NT products, unless he really let it slide
    To me it looks like a programmer chucked something in as a test and left it at that.
    Surely they can make the connection that the UI and industry standards = enhanced uptake of package, looking at blender 2.8; I get the impression that nobody is working on it.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-24-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast