Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Newbie Member
    I have to pay $350/£285 at a discounted upgrade price, blender for free and $400 for Houdini indie for 2 years and maybe $250 for 3d Max for 1 year seems a better deal, personally I believe Lightwave is running out of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Its $295 for me. Gonna take a few months to get the money together for this. Covid and an early medical semi-retirement have affected my ability to buy right now. I will get the trial though for now. Wish it was for a longer length of time though. Some SW companies have extended their trials to 3 months.
    Yep $295 USD for me too! I have continued to upgrade with every release though so I assume that's why some of us loyal users who always upgrade receive the special pricing.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mastoy View Post
    Go to your account, you'll see the price you really pay
    Which is still too much for the meager contents of that update.

Wonder whether any of the serious, outstanding bugs in Bullet, OBJ, etc. were fixed, but not holding my breath there, don't even feel motivated enough to check.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Is there a complete changelog somewhere ? Maybe there are some hidden gems. For me, upgrade price with VAT is 317€. With so few new features, and if there's no way to make it work with Wine, I'm through. 317€ is clearly not worth the upgrade. That's the very first time, even in the worst times before, that nothing in the anouncement gets me excited.

Sadly, LW is still not on the GPU train ... and for the users that actually are on that train (with Octane), this update is a bit pricey for what it brings

It's not $495 for me... it's a whopping $689.527 (converted back from SEK) .. I said I would always support it but I don't know.... this is not my main tool any more.. and I support it more for sentimental reasons at this point. I use other tools, and frankly.. even they (despite being much more expensive initially) have a lower upgrade point. I have to think about this :/ I'll try the demo out and see what I decide. I don't like breaking my word.. but this time I might have to.

But almost all software companies are giving massive discounts during this global economic crisis to help the creative community. Brand new licenses from other companies are regularly 50% off this month, not to mention upgrades, so it would be great if LW could recognize the economic hardships of this pandemic and align with other creative software and market pricing at this time when jobs and gigs have been affected by this.

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    It's not $495 for me... it's a whopping $689.527 (converted back from SEK) .. I said I would always support it but I don't know.... this is not my main tool any more.. and I support it more for sentimental reasons at this point. I use other tools, and frankly.. even they (despite being much more expensive initially) have a lower upgrade point. I have to think about this :/ I'll try the demo out and see what I decide. I don't like breaking my word.. but this time I might have to.
    REALLY? Did you go to your account page? And then did you click on the "Special Discount" button? $295 USD for me, and I'm just a hobbyist!
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

I just downloaded the trial and will check it out. Hope it doesn't screw with my current 2019 installation.

I'm in the US, so, If I get the supposed $1200 economic impact check due to Corona, that might help me, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    REALLY? Did you go to your account page? And then did you click on the "Special Discount" button? $295 USD for me, and I'm just a hobbyist!
    No “Special Discount” button for me just this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11883A75-95F5-4AD8-89B2-A4C8F092168D.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	147392

Now that the "New in 2020" section has appeared in the docs and I've had some initial time with the trial, I'm amending my post to be a little less harsh. There are some good additions but I was hoping for more features with new modeler tools and render speed comprising two of those. Unfortunately, at $495, I don't think I will be upgrading at this time. This may be better placed into Octane instead. I do wish that Newtek would begin to listen to its userbase.
    Last edited by devin; 04-23-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Is there a complete changelog somewhere ?
    Nope, nor a list of fixed and known bugs. Still no lwvolume.h in SDK, nor much else of note.

And yes, I tried it. Trying it made me further disappointed, I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-23-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

does one bite the tongue or go full rant mode...

I'm done.
    Last edited by OnlineRender; 04-23-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    No “Special Discount” button for me just this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11883A75-95F5-4AD8-89B2-A4C8F092168D.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	147392
    Have you upgraded with out missing a release for the past 5 LW versions or so?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Which is still too much for the meager contents of that update.

Wonder whether any of the serious, outstanding bugs in Bullet, OBJ, etc. were fixed, but not holding my breath there, don't even feel motivated enough to check.
    Even the Modo 14 release was a bit on the sparse side but they do add a few features through the cycle though. I assume the next major LW release will be focused almost exclusively on Modeler since this one didn't have any of that except local action center.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast