Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    I think this is a very good release, since here we got the main thing - the first major shift towards deep modernization of the renderer (the shader system that appeared in the 2018 version is only a preparatory stage, by and large, although important). This is a fairly flexible renderer, which allows you to get good results even for complex animated scenes at an acceptable time.
    If you do not have a renderer, it is difficult for you to attract new users who, although they receive a self-sufficient package, include modeling, animation, and rendering.
    But if this question is closed for you - you can go to all other points - improve old tools, add new ones, upgrade Modeler or integrate it with the Layout.
    So I welcome this release.
    The problem is that all competitors produce really nice renders too, some with GPU support. A render engine is not going to attract new users when other apps have a fully integrated modeling/layout experience. Lightwave's new render engine isn't anything out of the ordinary. Nor is it doing new things that would attract users (compare Eevee, for example).

The app split is really working against Lightwave compared to the competitors.

I cannot imagine many new users flocking to Lightwave in its current state.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

I might as well pitch in my two cents.

I'm gonna get it. I was going to get akeytsu instead due to the extended wait, but that isn't compatible with LW2018. This $500 for LW2020's small feature set includes Akeytsu compatibility and LW2019's pop-up requestors. The re-ordering of rotation axis is my favorite feature. At last, the tyrrany of the heading axis is at an end!

But yeah... It's a thin upgrade. A bit stronger than LW2019's in my opinion. If the partio node lets me load alembic particles that would be a nice surprise bonus. Or PRT particles maybe?

Anyway.. I can't afford it until May 3rd or so. Looking forward to rigging in 2020.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

I am also waiting for the implementation of the GPU render in the LW. But since Newtek focuses more on studios than on small companies and freelancers, the first thing they had to do was upgrade their own renderer for CPU computing. I really hope that the next step will just be towards the GPU renderer.

No modeler love and $862 AUD... I just got the last prompt I need to buy LWCAD and a mountain bike. I'll go back to those dreams of new modeler tools.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Matt must have left or is on other NT products, unless he really let it slide
    To me it looks like a programmer chucked something in as a test and left it at that.
    Surely they can make the connection that the UI and industry standards = enhanced uptake of package, looking at blender 2.8; I get the impression that nobody is working on it.

Itīs just frustrating every work session with lightwave having to tab trough three value fields and enter or paste the same value, and then you find o..no that is not the scale you want..then go back and do it again, three times again, I know the number 3 is holy, but for the love of..
    blender, modo, houdini a one single control for scaling all textures or other channels uniformly...the fact that itīs been know for ages, and that in principle most (if not all) major 3D full packages has it ..is not a shinging UI example for Lightwave or the workflow within Lightwave.

Nope... I've tried it out and I simply can't justify that amount of money for such a minor upgrade at this point. Maybe later.. There are good changes.. but they are too small (for me) to justify the cost.. If it had been $295, and maybe even $395 I could have been OK with it. But when it's close to $700 (inc. vat) absolutely not.

One modeler update, the local action center.... An important one mind you and your probably have me to thank for that since I put it in my video of the improvements modeler needed a few years ago right after the modeling survey came out But man, one modeler update....
    As far as the rest, well... makes me think back to when Newtek gave free LW updates because this doesn't feel like a full release, it feels like a point release. Makes me think back to when Rob said all future updates of LW would be 299 if you stayed current....

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    There is Papou who is selling his UI tool as a plugin for Lightwave, wether or not that would have an impact on the LW team thinking about doing something more with the UI or not we can only speculate.

There is One major UI fix I think is one of the most important one..and that is the multiselection scaling of x,y,z values for items such as scaling uniformly of textures, and other channels, modo has it, houdini has it, blender has it..but despite this being mentioned years ago, (Matt Gorner was aware of it and mentioned what was needed to be implemented) it simply wasnīt about time to implement it yet as can be seen.

That being said, I agree... there are many other UI messings for the 2018-2019 versions I do not like either, seems they need to take a serious look on what they are doing now with all that, can not tell about 2020 though.
    For the UI of 2019, some better stuff though...searching all the menus are nice, but you need to keep having the mouse down with the right hand while writing in the menu context with the other hand, it would be better if the search string menu could be on top till you hit enter for your search.
    Yes thanks, the UI+ plugin - I tried it years ago but it introduced other issues. It was free then, now commercial, I don't know if it got much better, maybe I'll give it a try. I have OD Workspaces, OD Pie Menu (and all other OD plugins) and db&w qckPck but all these are just adding to LWs UI mess unfortunately.

The XYZ value thing yes, also Cinema has is of course since for ever for any parameter by simply one click or shift select the parameters modify or enter the values with ctrl+mouse / ctrl+return all at once. I fear changes like that are close to impossible in LW's code or with their skillset. It's obvious to me the only thing they can do is add stuff on top but not change anything substantial in the UI.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-24-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Last edited by jwiede; 04-24-2020 at 01:04 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes thanks, the UI+ plugin - I tried it years ago but it introduced other issues. It was free then, now commercial, I don't know if it got much better, maybe I'll give it a try. I have OD Workspaces, OD Pie Menu (and all other OD plugins) and db&w qckPck but all these are just adding to LWs UI mess unfortunately.

The XYZ value thing yes, also Cinema has is of course since for ever for any parameter by simply dragging the mouse over the fields, I fear changes like that are close to impossible in LW's code or with their skillset. It's obvious to me the only thing they can do is add stuff on top but not change anything substantial in the UI.
    Either lightwave's interface paradigm works for you or it doesn't. I don't really mind it, personally I like summoning modals and panels and making them go away. All I ever want in an interface is text filtering and flat menus (my kids for example are utterly baffled that i don't know or care where on my phone's home screen my apps are and that I use text search to launch every app). Lightwave 2019 gave us exactly that that and I have been happy as a pig in filth ever since. If that isn't how you work, and you prefer the sort of smartly-designed adaptable full-screen workspace-style interfaces that have been in vogue for the last half decade or so I don't see all these third party ui band-aids helping matters at all.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 04-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.

I tried to install 2020 trial to check it out, but my license key is not being accepted no matter which way i do it. Anyone else have trouble. Usually for me its no problem. But this time - well - Help!! Key file from registering reads 20 bytes. Have to use Discovery mode till I can figure out whats up!!

Anyone help?
    Last edited by JamesCurtis; 04-24-2020 at 01:21 AM.

Every now and then, I check for updates on LW. No improvements to Node Editor, no improvements to Modeler, no improvements to Render Layers. That means I have to continue waiting. Currently I'm using LW2018, and go to Blender for modeling tasks that LightWave can't do (or that I can't find; the latest one was creating a hexagonal sphere). And I'm thinking about getting Octane, I really miss Worley's FPrime.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    I am also waiting for the implementation of the GPU render in the LW. But since Newtek focuses more on studios than on small companies and freelancers, the first thing they had to do was upgrade their own renderer for CPU computing. I really hope that the next step will just be towards the GPU renderer.
    Does it make sense that they'd be able to come up with a GPU renderer that works better than Octane?
    Last edited by Mr. Wilde; 04-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.

The VDB Analyze and Visualize nodes are useful and provide better volume display then before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW_Analyze_Visualize.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	147411

I like the new hair shaders, though it seemed there is something very different in how FFX is rendering because I couldnt seem to get as clean a look as 2019..of course, that could be caused by the checkerboard the demo overlays on renders.

Skin wasnt seeming to render the same as 2019 either.

Why did they remove, or rather change the gradient backdrop? now, you have to add it to an environment light, which hits rendertime like crazy.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post

Why did they remove, or rather change the gradient backdrop? now, you have to add it to an environment light, which hits rendertime like crazy.
    and its slower workflow with clicks

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast