Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 667

Thread: Lightwave 2020

  1. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    I also really love the UX improvements to the Scene editor so nice job to Matt as well!!
    Seriosly?

    LW would need so many UI improvements and almost nothing is done in all those years!

    Still no dockable windows, UI flexibility, important dialogs not resizable etc.

    And to demonstrate how few love and work goes into LW UI-wise:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Properties.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	147395

  2. #77
    Super Member XswampyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    2,094
    Well I've just bought it at the "Special" price. Works out about Ģ0.80 per day.... a bargain!

  3. #78
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,789
    I will probably shut down any plans I had for cloud volumetrics tutorials for Lightwave, I fear itīs not gonna be much of an audience to expect a lot of viewers from, using Lightwave..the category is quite thin as it is by itīs nature anyway, canīt see how I could
    justify spending that much time needed for it considering the insecurity of the Lightwave future.

    So this was kind of what I was waiting for to acknowledge where to go unfortunately.

  4. #79
    Registered User calilifestyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    cali, Santa Clarita
    Posts
    1,566
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Two new GI renderers? If this means the end of fireflies, I'm in.
    Agree... with Shloime .2 update
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

  5. #80
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    10 programmers
    1 documentation
    How many full-time LW-only programmers? And what % assignment for the rest?
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-23-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  6. #81
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Seriosly?

    LW would need so many UI improvements and almost nothing is done in all those years!

    Still no dockable windows, UI flexibility, important dialogs not resizable etc.

    And to demonstrate how few love and work goes into LW UI-wise:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Properties.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	147395
    You can pay additionally for the lightwave UI plugin

    If possible..they should have bought him (papou) out..if it had been possible and included it, and it would still be a tool not directly possible to change UI without rebooting..I think.

    With vat ..685 USD, so that wonīt be acceptable for this kind of jampacked feature release, itīs a bit secondary to what actually is released though for me to even consider it in the first place.

  7. #82
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    10 programmers
    1 documentation
    That many? Surprising. This upgrade makes no sense to me if 10 people are working on the same Lightwave branch.

    Would make more sense if they are working on a parallel new branch with the long-wanted modeler-layout unification. It is obvious from this 'release' that Lightwave cannot hope to grow into a viable future tool without.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  8. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Sorry. I always expect the worst, and hope for the best. But this release defies comprehension. Are they working on a consolidated version in the background? That would explain this.
    ^This. This is exactly what I am hoping for... that they are continuing work on a much larger set of features that, to date, they have not been able to complete but are still intent on delivery.

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Seriosly?

    LW would need so many UI improvements and almost nothing is done in all those years!

    Still no dockable windows, UI flexibility, important dialogs not resizable etc.

    And to demonstrate how few love and work goes into LW UI-wise:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Properties.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	147395
    Good feedback, I'm sure they'd love an actual organized list of user feedback for UI design improvements.

    I agree those tabs could use some love, but that doesn't take away from the neat new stuff they added to Scene editor.

    We could go round and round about priority and what should be worked first. It's simply a matter of time and resources.

    Every release feels like its building on the last. From the outside-in, it feels like they might be maturing in their Agile software development process, so they almost need to slow down before they can speed up, if that makes sense.

  10. #85
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I will probably shut down any plans I had for cloud volumetrics tutorials for Lightwave, I fear itīs not gonna be much of an audience to expect a lot of viewers from, using Lightwave..the category is quite thin as it is by itīs nature anyway, canīt see how I could
    justify spending that much time needed for it considering the insecurity of the Lightwave future.

    So this was kind of what I was waiting for to acknowledge where to go unfortunately.
    I, for one, would love some cloud volumetrics tutorials for Lightwave. I would especially be interested in a step by step on how you do Embergen to LW.

  11. #86
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,789
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyUno1 View Post
    I, for one, would love some cloud volumetrics tutorials for Lightwave. I would especially be interested in a step by step on how you do Embergen to LW.
    What I can do is present a draft on it on a web page with cloud imagery samples, animations..etc..once I gathered some, and some comparisons with blender, houdini and terragen, then I would need to dial in how many would
    possible have the interest to buy something like that, but itīs too uncertain right now...I need to structure some of that up first without going in to deep in all the things I had in mind, it would be too comprehensive I think if I
    tried to carry it out to that level I initally had intended too.

    Embergen, I will look in to that as well...itīs in my focus now, but for which final render platform, blender or lightwave is too uncertain right now, still need to check the VDB volume implementation in blender, and also follow up on octane for blender.

    Currently Lightwave could be capable of decent volumetric clouds at quite large scale..Still not infinite though, but when it comes to match up with the total sky works with volumetric atmosphere together with the other elements, it isnīt optmized to do so like with vue or terragen..so itīs becoming even slower than those programs..if you want noise free atmospherics godrays between clouds etc.

    Octane or a native gpu solution could help release some of that pain though, but none is available for me in reality or withing cost effeciency.

    So that along with fiberfx waste of rendertime is why I voted for Native GPU solution and also modeling in Layout..this is left all behind currently, which forces me to change direction.

    Will still work from time to time with some of my own projects in Lightwave, but no upgrade this time..donīt think so, if I suddenly get a better purse..and if the update when tested feels nice and some additional info on the modeling in layout etc gets clearer ..who knows, but other than that..focus will be on blender for a while.

    Found some addon toolset in blender that can do some things I liked in LW cad..so that may be an option for me.

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    developers who keeps ignoring modeler ? developers who keeps inventing new GIs instead of adding GPU - or at least dealing with Cycle ... Do not get me wrong - i want to LW to survive .. but like this it goes nowhere.. as a pro you know this better than anyone.. at least do not call this 2020.. make it a like free update ... i do not know .. i lost my hope with future updates.. I will SUPPORT the DEVELOPER named victor and 3rdpowers.. THEY deserve to be supported ...
    I'm thinking they probably have a developer or 2 working on Modeler but that is likely for the next release. I can see any quality work on Modeler taking at least 2 years of dev time or more.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  13. #88
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I'm thinking they probably have a developer or 2 working on Modeler but that is likely for the next release. I can see any quality work on Modeler taking at least 2 years of dev time or more.
    Is Victor (LW cad) part of the accountable Lightwave development team? for those who did the counting? depends on who you ask I guess, and if such ..to what effect for the native Lw core?

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    That many? Surprising. This upgrade makes no sense to me if 10 people are working on the same Lightwave branch.

    Would make more sense if they are working on a parallel new branch with the long-wanted modeler-layout unification. It is obvious from this 'release' that Lightwave cannot hope to grow into a viable future tool without.
    Yes I think this is exactly what they are doing they most likely have 2 versions in parallel development at the same time and it's just that the work on Modeler is taking longer so it wasn't in this release.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  15. #90
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yes I think this is exactly what they are doing they most likely have 2 versions in parallel development at the same time and it's just that the work on Modeler is taking longer so it wasn't in this release.
    Sad they can not communicate on that matter, you simply do not move towards uncertainty..you move away from it.

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •