Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    I have to pay $350/Ģ285 at a discounted upgrade price, blender for free and $400 for Houdini indie for 2 years and maybe $250 for 3d Max for 1 year seems a better deal, personally I believe Lightwave is running out of steam.
    when you do that comparison this release is a complete joke and the price pitched to loyal users is insulting. Is there an update to support the latest unreal engine? (edit: its updated to 4.24) Bug fixes? I cant believe the speed of development or the lack of updates to things that have been discussed at length here and via the feedback system.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-23-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I think most the effort went into stuff we can't see at the moment. -- https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...eering-updates
    Which I suppose makes sense. The foundation needs to be solid.
    So you are paying for something that doesn't exist ? with no roadmap or idea of what it will be? I have a bridge to sell you..

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I like them too but I thought they would get bigger when clicked on. - There too small.
    You can drag the images onto the desktop and they are much larger in size. It looks like these were intended to be expandable (cursor changes) but aren't working.

So you are paying for something that doesn't exist ? with no roadmap or idea of what it will be? I have a bridge to sell you..
    Viktor (LWcad) has already praised NewTek and the Generalized Meta-Data System, LWcad 2020 does use that tech.
    so I understand the concern, but your claim is not quite on track.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks Newtek/LW team. The new render stuff looks nice! I am happy they finally released 2020, and we didn't have to wait several years. Development is happening and that is good for us end-users. I make money with LW so upgrading is not an issue for me. I will gladly support LW, it is still a good price point and it is not subscription so I don't have to dish out a car payment to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Viktor (LWcad) has already praised NewTek and the Generalized Meta-Data System, LWcad 2020 does use that tech.
    so I understand the concern, but your claim is not quite on track.
    Please provide a citation/pointer? Hearsay doesn't refute anything.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Looking at the demo, the UI is getting worse. Need to stop and look at what they are doing here.
    Have a look at the the GI tab in the render properties, C'mon, what is going on? does anyone care about what they are developing?

I try and put on GPU noise filtering, thinking maybe Optix got upgraded to latest version (I am guessing not)

"GPU not supported" and this is with an Nvidia RTX 2080ti founders edn. Great
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-23-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Yeah, I just looked at the features list and got to the bottom expecting the main event. WTF? There is no way I can justify spending the money on this upgrade, there is nothing in it that is off any benefit for that price AND I've upgraded every single time since 5. Especially with exchange rate and economy. Really disappointed! What is going on at LW dev? Where are the modeller updates? What happened to that survey? the feature requests? Just look at Blender dev, then look at what you are paying 495 USD for PLUS the exchange rate. There is no way in hell that is in any way a good upgrade but what concerns me more is the speed of development!!!!!!!!!!!! Its over, isn't it?
    If you have upgraded every release since LW 10 then you should have a reduced price in your account if you login.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    For exterior scenes to get GI I have to add an environment light and that gives me with a white washed out effect and much darker shadows. Hopefully I can figure out how to get rid of some of this undesired look and get it closer to what I would get in 2019. Interesting how all the examples I see with GI in LW 2020 are showing interiors which I don't see much of an issue with.

I like the change to some of the reflections but notice the washed out grass and leaves. Maybe I will have to redo my surfacing for these in LW 2020?
    Now that I think of it, it's probably the way the environment light is effecting translucency on objects in my scene since those seem to be the only surfaces affected. I'm going to trying doing those as PBR surfaces and see if that makes any difference. I was using standard before since I don't like using nodal unless I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    If you have upgraded every release since LW 10 then you should have a reduced price in your account if you login.
    Yes, I do but even then with exchange rate atm, its too pricey. I want to cos I like the software but the UI mess, the state of the dev speed. I cant do this anymore, its incentivising mediocrity.
    If the UI was cleaned up, as many have asked for then that would be good enough reason to upgrade but look at it! Its getting worse with each release. I cant get my head around it.

If I had access to the dev I'd fix it myself, for everyone, for free. I don't really know what to say, at this point there is no real use in bitchin or moaning as it won't make any difference, it never does. These fixes are blatantly obvious to anyone too, that's what I don't get. There is only one explanation.

Its truly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by devin View Post
    You can drag the images onto the desktop and they are much larger in size. It looks like these were intended to be expandable (cursor changes) but aren't working.
    Not necessary to save to your harddrive and then open an image software to view it, just right mouse click and choose show image, select that option with the middle mouse if you are on firefox and the image will open in a new firefox window tab, if you choose it with left mouse it will open in the same browser window you had for the docs and thus you need to jump back in the browser later.

This partio importer looks a bit interesting..working not for the vdb primitive but for the primitive set to volume (though you parse it through the vdb with the evaluator, though I am not sure how smooth the blending will be..if it is any different from native lightwave particle volume blending or not?
    But for me it still remains a question if they for this release did fix the issue of the volumetrics not working on point clouds such if you model points in modeler?
    that worked with old hvīs but not with the new volume system.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    What I like (and is worth the upgrade for me) is how it plays together with other apps!

The BGEO import is great, here for example from X-Particles, works absolutely fine. This opens many new possibilities!

Attachment 147404

Attachment 147405

Attachment 147406

Attachment 147407
    Yes, interesting...If you have the time Marander, can you see if 2020 now allows for using primitive item on created point clouds? (not particles or the workaround to add particles to points)
    Not asking you to be a personal beta tester, either you find it interesting to test and have time, or you donīt.
    Im probably not going to install or for a while, other priorities in software installement..for blender and daz currently waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Yes, I do but even then with exchange rate atm, its too pricey. I want to cos I like the software but the UI mess, the state of the dev speed. I cant do this anymore, its incentivising mediocrity.
    If the UI was cleaned up, as many have asked for then that would be good enough reason to upgrade but look at it! Its getting worse with each release. I cant get my head around it.

If I had access to the dev I'd fix it myself, for everyone, for free. I don't really know what to say, at this point there is no real use in bitchin or moaning as it won't make any difference, it never does. These fixes are blatantly obvious to anyone too, that's what I don't get. There is only one explanation.

Its truly disappointing.
    Yes with the exchange rate the price does go up some. For me it ended up being $418 CDN from $295 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    As you are probably aware of, Apple has deprecated OpenGL in favour of its own Metal. That means Lightwave's viewport code MUST be rewritten to work with Metal, otherwise Lightwave will stop working on Macs in a few years.

I wonder if the LW development team is working on making this transition to Metal?
    Hopefully, they're keeping current with all applicable Apple APIs, or are in the process of doing so, or they'll be in for a lot more work than just the viewport when Macs begin to switch to ARM processors in the next year or two if Lightwave is using a lot of deprecated features.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast