Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast
Results 646 to 660 of 667

Thread: Lightwave 2020

  1. #646
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah - I'm fairly certain we will upgrade, if nothing else to keep the $295 upgrade price forever.
    To my knowledge the $295 price is for "the next 5 upgrades after 10. I believe this is the last of those 5.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

  2. #647
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,640
    This seems up for debate.......
    There was a post from Rob Powers way back which stated 'forever'....so who knows.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

  3. #648

    'forever'
    yeah, that 'forever' quote he made puzzled me a bit honestly.

    reminds me of another company that did something similar, and after a few years realized it was a total bummer.

    for the ones curious, i guess you sould chow that very post to Customer Support, see what they say.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

  4. #649
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    To my knowledge the $295 price is for "the next 5 upgrades after 10. I believe this is the last of those 5.
    That is incorrect. There were some deals in the past that were for the next five updates, but there was also a FOREVER deal. YES, there was. I don't mean to single out your post on this in particular, but I have been seeing a bunch of these posts in various threads trying to call the "$295 Forever deal" into question. There is no question.

    For those who don't have that deal, and wish they did, I'm sorry. It was a deal to lure people into buying LW 2015 at a particular time. If you upgraded at that time, you have the deal, if you didn't, you don't. The deal has no time limit, in terms of, needing to upgrade within 30 days of release, or anything of the kind. Only that you must remain "current" meaning upgrade before the next release. That means we have until the next version release to upgrade, to keep the "Forever" deal. So as Methuselah once said to Lazarus, "Don't mess with my discount." Charter and post charter were earlier deals. I have one of those too, but the 2015 deal was an upgrade to that deal.

    My theory on the strategy, was that at that time Rob wanted to get all the stragglers up to date, because they had decided to go to yearly release starting with 2015. The cash infusion would help development. He assumed they would get $295 every year, but then they had some problems, and missed a few years. Now we are getting yearly release, but the releases are getting thin. I'm not very excited to upgrade even at $295. If bug fixes are forthcoming I probably will. If it seems like development is being killed by vizrt, I may stick with what I've got. I want to support LW, but the lack of human communication makes it hard.

    In conclusion, the $295 Upgrades Forever Deal is real. There is no question. Terms are clear. If they choose to honor that deal forever, or whether $295 will even be a good price as software prices go down, who knows. What they needed were more customers, and they decided to cut off all communication and marketing of the software. A lot of us love LW, and yet the company, never seems to apply logic to the situation. My hope is that it falls into the hands of people who want to make it great, and will invest the time and money to do so. If that is vizrt, great, if that is another company (Not subscription though), or open source, great. Just keep it going, and make it competitive, so we get more users, which will mean more resources and third party support / compatibility.

  5. #650
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

    yeah, that 'forever' quote he made puzzled me a bit honestly.

    reminds me of another company that did something similar, and after a few years realized it was a total bummer.

    for the ones curious, i guess you sould chow that very post to Customer Support, see what they say.
    It doesn't seem so puzzling. They were trying to go to yearly updates (hence the name change to 2015), and get a lot of people locked into that at $295 a year rate. It's as close to going subscription as you could get without going subscription. Then things went wrong. The yearly price would have ended up being $295 or less for everyone eventually(Just my guess). Maybe they found out a yearly release wasn't possible with the size staff they had, at least with the goals they had planned, like perhaps unification, or funding was cut. Whatever took place, the deal made sense at the time, and is not far off of some other software's yearly price. When prices go down, you need more customers. They refuse to do that part, i.e. marketing. The 2020 release has the least marketing we've ever seen. Personally I think they should just make the upgrade price $295 or less for everyone, especially because the release is thinner than usual. I hope they come through with something great next time, but the trend is what it is at present.

  6. #651
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    It doesn't seem so puzzling. They were trying to go to yearly updates (hence the name change to 2015), and get a lot of people locked into that at $295 a year rate. It's as close to going subscription as you could get without going subscription. Then things went wrong. The yearly price would have ended up being $295 or less for everyone eventually(Just my guess). Maybe they found out a yearly release wasn't possible with the size staff they had, at least with the goals they had planned, like perhaps unification, or funding was cut. Whatever took place, the deal made sense at the time, and is not far off of some other software's yearly price. When prices go down, you need more customers. They refuse to do that part, i.e. marketing. The 2020 release has the least marketing we've ever seen. Personally I think they should just make the upgrade price $295 or less for everyone, especially because the release is thinner than usual. I hope they come through with something great next time, but the trend is what it is at present.
    I think I would have to agree with you for the most part. When competing with other products like a certain open source one they need to be way more competitive. At the $295 price point they would likely see more people upgrading. If people miss a specified number of upgrades the price to upgrade for them should be a bit more but not so much that it deters them from considering upgrading. I believe Lightwave can still compete with free software without it being free. All they have to offer is good value. As long as there are enough reasons to use Lightwave people will use it.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  7. #652
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,289
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Douglas_Squirrel_DSC3742vvc.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	147677


    There's a lot of new stuff available in the LW world. Check out this nifty creation, well-suited for LightWave 2020 and older releases.


    Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    What on Earth could be better than Legato Sliders?
    Right! A bunch of Legato Sliders!

    Attachment 147676

    From now on you can lock a Legato Sliders dialog to the current set of selected items. Just keep adding plugins. Fill your 2nd screen with sliders if you like.
    Another nice feature are the "R" buttons. They're intended to set a key with a value from the Reference frame, as specified in Setup (default = frame 0).

    Features
    • Added "Lock" button to stop refreshing the dialog when selecting another item(s) in Layout. Ideal for multiple slider dialogs.
    • Locked status and its items are saved to the plugin section in the scene file, and restored after scene load. Interference is suppressed via comring.
    • Added "R" button to create a key or modify an existing key to the value of the reference frame (0).
    • Added global "R" button.
    • Added Reference Frame input field in Setup. Default is 0.
    • [FIX]Slider out of range with extreme values. Adjusted slider resolution from 1000 to 256. Seems to be fixed.
    • [FIX]When selecting a large set of items (1000 nulls), the plugin desperately attempted to display all channels of all items. I've limited this to the first 8 items, the other items are ignored.
    • [FIX]Fresh installation of script could set default Zoom to 1.5 after Setup


    Known issues
    • Selecting an item shifts focus to the first data field. Press Esc or use the slider before using keyboard commands.
    • When applying --ui-screen-scale-factors as program parameters buttons may be too small to read their labels.
    • When using Sync button during multi-select, for now use the 1st slider. Also "E" and "K" do not update correctly.
    • When using multi-select, auto-range update of angle channels may be incorrect.
    • Maximum location and size of the dialog are slightly smaller than display size, so full-screen on 2nd monitor is not entirly possible.
    • PrevKey and NextKey button at this moment only works on last selected item -> for all selected items.


    Download Legato Sliders v0.5 here: Attachment 147675

    Comments are welcome.

    PS I start dreaming of sliders, so this might be the last update in this plugin!
    For now.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

  8. #653
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    868
    duplicate
    Last edited by inquisitive; 06-22-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: dup

  9. #654
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    if you have the facebooks - https://www.facebook.com/groups/227679232920662 I don't know if it's anywhere else.
    I just requested to join this group.

  10. #655
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    That is incorrect. There were some deals in the past that were for the next five updates, but there was also a FOREVER deal. YES, there was. I don't mean to single out your post on this in particular, but I have been seeing a bunch of these posts in various threads trying to call the "$295 Forever deal" into question. There is no question.

    For those who don't have that deal, and wish they did, I'm sorry. It was a deal to lure people into buying LW 2015 at a particular time. If you upgraded at that time, you have the deal, if you didn't, you don't. The deal has no time limit, in terms of, needing to upgrade within 30 days of release, or anything of the kind. Only that you must remain "current" meaning upgrade before the next release. That means we have until the next version release to upgrade, to keep the "Forever" deal. So as Methuselah once said to Lazarus, "Don't mess with my discount." Charter and post charter were earlier deals. I have one of those too, but the 2015 deal was an upgrade to that deal.

    My theory on the strategy, was that at that time Rob wanted to get all the stragglers up to date, because they had decided to go to yearly release starting with 2015. The cash infusion would help development. He assumed they would get $295 every year, but then they had some problems, and missed a few years. Now we are getting yearly release, but the releases are getting thin. I'm not very excited to upgrade even at $295. If bug fixes are forthcoming I probably will. If it seems like development is being killed by vizrt, I may stick with what I've got. I want to support LW, but the lack of human communication makes it hard.

    In conclusion, the $295 Upgrades Forever Deal is real. There is no question. Terms are clear. If they choose to honor that deal forever, or whether $295 will even be a good price as software prices go down, who knows. What they needed were more customers, and they decided to cut off all communication and marketing of the software. A lot of us love LW, and yet the company, never seems to apply logic to the situation. My hope is that it falls into the hands of people who want to make it great, and will invest the time and money to do so. If that is vizrt, great, if that is another company (Not subscription though), or open source, great. Just keep it going, and make it competitive, so we get more users, which will mean more resources and third party support / compatibility.
    I found this quote where everything was spelled out pretty clearly:

    Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Just to clear up a few questions here. If you are Charter or Post-Charter you will not lose your status when you take advantage of the current offer. Your upgrade now will be $295 to get you to LightWave 2015 if you have not already upgraded to 2015 yet. If you have upgraded to 2015 or if you take advantage of this current promo to get current with 2015 then you will receive $295 for all future upgrades of LightWave. That is a nice savings to you Charter and Post-Charter supporters right now and in the future and is a way for us to say thank you in a big way.

    Right now all other customers can upgrade during this promo for $395 for a limited time however, those that do not take this opportunity to get current will not receive the same low upgrade prices in the future. This is a way to give a very clear benefit to our customers that support our development efforts. After all, if you support us it's only fair that we support you in return and giving this incredible discount for future upgrades to our most passionate supporters is one way that we are doing that.

    I would also add that Charter and Post-Charter members will continue to receive exclusive special offers in the future specific to them. This is another way that we intend to give you added value for your support over the years.

    The development team and myself deeply appreciate your support and I want all LightWave users to know that you have a team in place that really LOVES LightWave and we have been working as hard as humanly possible to amaze you and provide you with a creative tool that not only gives you a creative edge, allows you to just "get it done", but also that is fun to use. While others pay thousands more and have to deal with added complexity to achieve their creative goals LightWave users will have a tool that gets them from idea to reality at the speed of Light!
    So, the special deal applies to Charter, Post-Charter, and those that upgraded around September 2015 - October 2015 and has no end date for any of the three. link Just to clarify, I'm not quoting the wrong person above. I'm just throwing in some support for what Wingzeta was saying.
    Last edited by Keadil; 06-28-2020 at 01:01 AM.

  11. #656
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Douglas_Squirrel_DSC3742vvc.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	147677


    There's a lot of new stuff available in the LW world. Check out this nifty creation, well-suited for LightWave 2020 and older releases.
    You do realize that's written in lscript, as is Legato itself, right?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  12. #657
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    You do realize that's written in lscript, as is Legato itself, right?
    Is that a problem for LightWave 2020 and older releases?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

  13. #658
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is that a problem for LightWave 2020 and older releases?
    Shouldn't be... pretty sure the they aren't planning on making the lscript deprecation retroactive.

  14. #659
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,289
    I see it was quoted but I wonder if John missed the distracting squirrel I tossed at a degenerating conversation.

    Of course, we all know lscript's days are numbered. Vincent crafted the mentioned tool in only a few days to address a problem that annoyed another user for years. A similar tool could be crafted in Python, when or if it becomes necessary.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

  15. #660
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is that a problem for LightWave 2020 and older releases?
    I think I saw someone mention that lscript in LW2020 is different to previous versions (in context of some RebelHill plugins broken as a result). I don't know how serious that would be to fix.

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •