Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: Lightwave 2020

LScript is not different in 2020. LScript has not changed. That is the issue.

LScript is no longer being maintained, so any changes to the general program may not be fully accessible to LScript anymore.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

as long as the scripts don't come crashing down at the launch of 2021, i'm cool with it.

we shall C ...  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks raymondtrace, that was the impression I had, especially from the official statement, though meantime I found the original post which had confused me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I think I saw someone mention that lscript in LW2020 is different to previous versions (in context of some RebelHill plugins broken as a result). I don't know how serious that would be to fix.
    There's a(t least one) significant change to lscript (and underlying LW functionality) in LW2020 that breaks existing lscripts that relied on it, see this post for the details.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    LScript is not different in 2020. LScript has not changed.
    Sorry, but that's not accurate. The itemshapedata() API change is an lscript difference between LW2020 and prior, and it's already confirmed as breaking some (valuable) lscripts -- any API-dependent lscripts which worked in LW2019 (and prior) require updating to work with LW2020.

What's really frustrating is that it would have required maybe at most a minute or two of extra coding to retain full lscript compatibility (and that's presuming the underlying API structure had to change -- it's far from obvious why the field in question had to be removed, see this post for details, thanks Kryslin!).
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-29-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    ...The itemshapedata() API change is an lscript difference between LW2020 and prior...
    Is itemshapedata() a function of lscript or a function of LightWave, exposed to lscript? The same function is accessible to Python as well so I assumed any change was in LightWave, not the scripting tools. Bob Hood's announcement indicated that it was LightWave that was moving forward and that lscript required unwanted manual updates. I cannot imagine why Bob would go to the effort of updating lscript to make it less functional for this particular function.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    There's a(t least one) significant change to lscript (and underlying LW functionality) in LW2020 that breaks existing lscripts that relied on it, see this post for the details.

Sorry, but that's not accurate. The itemshapedata() API change is an lscript difference between LW2020 and prior, and it's already confirmed as breaking some (valuable) lscripts -- any API-dependent lscripts which worked in LW2019 (and prior) require updating to work with LW2020.

What's really frustrating is that it would have required maybe at most a minute or two of extra coding to retain full lscript compatibility (and that's presuming the underlying API structure had to change -- it's far from obvious why the field in question had to be removed, see this post for details, thanks Kryslin!).
    why would you change something that you are going to depricate?

Is itemshapedata() a function of lscript or a function of LightWave, exposed to lscript? The same function is accessible to Python as well so I assumed any change was in LightWave, not the scripting tools. Bob Hood's announcement indicated that it was LightWave that was moving forward and that lscript required unwanted manual updates. I cannot imagine why Bob would go to the effort of updating lscript to make it less functional for this particular function.
    lwsdk.pris.itemshapedata() does not appear to be tied into the base lwsdk in anyway; looking at the lwsdk.pris python library, the function returns a list containing the 29 items needed for the LW2020 version of LW_ITEMSHAPE plugin. This is 1 item less than the 11.6.2 -> 2019.1.5 version of the same plugin.

The task for those plugins to continue functioning over the range of 11.6.2 -> Infinity is to trap the LW version, and use the proper coding for the list of parameters. It's not exactly difficult to do, but it is rather tedious. I've already passed the information onto RH, who is also probably tearing his hair out wondering if he's going to have to re-write his plugins in Python as well, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, given the pronounced lack of documentation on UI programming in Python -- which has been reported twice (and nothing has happened).

I suspect RH will probably have to use something like Kanuso's excellent GUI editor to set everything up for the Python version of RHiggit2...

- - - Updated - - -

lwsdk.pris.itemshapedata() does not appear to be tied into the base lwsdk in anyway; looking at the lwsdk.pris python library, the function returns a list containing the 29 items needed for the LW2020 version of LW_ITEMSHAPE plugin. This is 1 item less than the 11.6.2 -> 2019.1.5 version of the same plugin.

The task for those plugins to continue functioning over the range of 11.6.2 -> Infinity is to trap the LW version, and use the proper coding for the list of parameters. It's not exactly difficult to do, but it is rather tedious. I've already passed the information onto RH, who is also probably tearing his hair out wondering if he's going to have to re-write his plugins in Python as well, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, given the pronounced lack of documentation on UI programming in Python -- which has been reported twice (and nothing has happened).

I suspect RH will probably have to use something like Kanuso's excellent GUI editor to set everything up for the Python version of RHiggit2...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445