Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Theoretically Syflex will became slower waiting for bullet to calculate itself
    Sure... but if this could become a reality, it is quite a cool system.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I am quite sure I read they added that to the VDB tools in this version. Or did I miss-read perhaps?

EDIT: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...ct-points-node
    Im talking about fluids advecting particles, just as if you use smoke flow to push the particles, let the particles flow the same as the smoke fluids are going in blender.
    And for turbulenceFD...we have no idea, it will probably not work since it is a VDB tool, but perhaps underlying changes allows for that soon as well when Jascha someday getīs going with that..it is available for cinema4D and turbulenceFD

As for inside the VDB, it says..
    "Advect Point Node – Advect particles by velocity grid"

It may be possible..but we need to verify that by using a gas solver and a velocity grid to push the particles based on the gas solvers own velocity flow, and I am not about to install it yet..so if you can try it that would be nice.

One great thing about the gas solver though, as I mentioned before, is that you can use the particles velocity to feed in to the gas solver force input, and itīs not the same as using the particles themself as emission for the fluids, that generally results in blobs and radius issues around the particles (typicly seen in poor blender explosion simulations) this way allows it for not creating these blobs, but use the particles..from an explosion to start the intial force..and that is a Huge difference in the looks, itīs sort of like if you had a wind force, explosion force to work as such directly on the fluids.

I donīt think even turbulenceFD or blender has this feature like the gas solver does it.

had it not been so horrible in openGL display (just horrible ticks) and so slow to simulate..I would have worked much much more with that.

There are still vital things missing for making this particle advection unification worthwhile, and that is mainly using a wind force, a velocity force, vortex force to work the same..to work with the gas solver, and currently I think there isnīt any force capable of doing that yet.

Ouch... I was hoping they had added that to the CTRL+F1 scene editor.... who, in their right mind, are still using the old scene-editor? Why are we still having two of them? Oh well...
    Ah sorry for the wrong info, somehow in 2019 the other Scene Editor is my default (maybe due to my menu changes) or they switched it between the versions, I don't know. Weird that LW has two Scene Editors and they work completely different. But yes, UI - not much work goes into that unfortunately.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    I was genuinely excited when I saw the email. Then I didn't see anything about "what's new." Then I saw why.

Layout 2020 released!
    Modeler 2020 has been out since 2002. .

Unless there is a heck of a 2020.5, it looks like Victor got the last of my Lightwave money.
    I have been asking for a modeler update over and over again for more than a decade. Even the special price seems like a poor value. You can buy the full version of FCP X of Davinci Resolve at that price (and so far not pay an upgrade price on the former, despite multiple upgrades more impressive than this).

As others have noted, the competition is offering deep discounts (except Blender, but its already free).

Newtek, you release some kind of wonderful 2020.5 update, and, so long as my job holds out, we are back on good terms. But this is not enough to lure me in. Don't blame poor sales. There simply isn't enough here. And for those of us on Macs, that OpenGL gets less impressive.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Unfortunately they add more cryptic buttons to the already horrible Properties panel, this A button - Attribute Inspector doesn't seem to give any more functionality - the Options button just opens the Node Editor as does the P button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Properties2.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	147400

To the developers; thanks for your work, I wish you could tell us what is going on. This was very disappointing. If Vizrt wants to kill LW as a product, I would say PLEASE! open source it. That way it can live on, and actually be developed by people who care about it (I don't mean the developers don't care about it, but the company).

The best I've read here, are theories that the release is so thin, because they are secretly developing a bigger project. If that is the case, they should let people know now, because customers are fading fast. This "update" should be a free point release, or cost very little (maybe $99). Half of it seems to fix bugs in the render engine. I've consistently updated for years, but this looks like they are not really developing it anymore, and just glued together a few pieces that weren't finished in time to make the 2019 release. I don't want to move to other software, but it keeps getting harder to justify, just like paying for this "update". I hope they have something else to announce, that indicates this is not the final LW update. Otherwise I'll probably hold onto my money.

LightWave has so much potential. Sorry, but this is not coming close to it.

For me..the Untethered "feature" is something I really do not see myself using, so not much of a good development focus (from my perspective) when there is so much else to work on

The fiberfx samples of the new material shader..hmm, the samples are not any shining examples unfortunately of good fiberfx renders, would have been nice if they could have looked at some melanin shading as blender has done.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    "Advect Point Node – Advect particles by velocity grid"
    The Gas Solver is outputting a Velocity Grid.

- - - Updated - - -

For me..the Untethered "feature" is something I really do not see myself using, so not much of a good development focus (from my perspective) when there is so much else to work on
    That one is developed by Bob Hood, and he is in the works on moving LW into Python 3.... that much I do know. Because it has been mentioned on the blog.
    Last edited by Cageman; 04-23-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

The Gas Solver is outputting a Velocity Grid.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I know..but did you test if it works? did you get the lightwave particles to make particles flow along a smoke flow?

Need space and time to install it and test for myself otherwise of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Unfortunately they add more cryptic buttons to the already horrible Properties panel, this A button - Attribute Inspector doesn't seem to give any more functionality - the Options button just opens the Node Editor as does the P button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Properties2.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	147400
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...and-properties

Yeah, they mention this in the docs under the Engineering updates. Hopefully people will be able to plug into it soon. I really think there are some under the hood updates happening to help it in the future. That is what it looks like to me from the Engineering updates section. At least, I hope I am correct in this.

Yes I know..but did you test if it works? did you get the lightwave particles to make particles flow along a smoke flow?

Need space and time to install it and test for myself otherwise of course.
    Am I your personal tester?

If it wouldn't it should be a bug, yes or no? Why should I have to test that for you? If it says what it does, and doesn't do it, it is a bug. And they should fix it if it doesn't work.

EDIT: You sound like you want to just rule it out as "No... this is NOT particle advection because.... reasons..."
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon View Post
    And for those of us on Macs, that OpenGL gets less impressive.
    As you are probably aware of, Apple has deprecated OpenGL in favour of its own Metal. That means Lightwave's viewport code MUST be rewritten to work with Metal, otherwise Lightwave will stop working on Macs in a few years.

I wonder if the LW development team is working on making this transition to Metal?
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

The 295 price shows up for me, but I have serious reservation as to if I will upgrade this time. I still have not fully figured out the new render engine since 2018, so I don't use 18 and 19 as much as I'd like. After seeing the new features, I have to agree, this should have been a point upgrade for free instead of a full blown version upgrade.

Modeler, almost completely ignored, again.

Some new bells and whistles, but they don't seem interested in fixing the the old ones.

I may hold off this time and wait until they have a new feature or fix the old ones to make worth upgrading.

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Awesome, a new version of LightWave 2020.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    If you use an environment light with the Global option, it should work.

Edit, sorry, no doesn't work... Only way I find is to add a backround image in Compositing tab but that's not the same.
    You have to tick Visible to Camera now. Now it works.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast