Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Ok...

Frankly... this is worth the upgrade price alone... You might have noticed that when you only wanted to use an ENV light, you had to change the shader to only do raytraced reflections instead of raytrace+backdrop (otherwise you would get double reflections). This meant that, for some shots, I had to save out dublicate LWOs just to cover that fact. Well... you don't have to do that anymore... also, look how great OpenGL looks now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fkX_QROGXo
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

First comparison between 2019.1.5 and 2020.0.0 with GI renders...

LW 2020 takes 30% to 200% more time to render 2019 scenes, in others it's 50% faster (on a 16C/32T or 12C/24T machine with 64 GB RAM) using Brute Force, with the same setting from Monte Carlo from the old scenes.

Irradiance Cache is even worse. In one test with it took endless time to calculate Preprocess and I stopped when memory exceed 40 GB.

Also the LW 2020 renders with GI look quite different. Now that I finally got it how to produce good looking renders in 2019, old scenes look worse and I don't know what to change to get the 2019 look back. The lighting looks more flat and too dark when using HDR lighting.

I would really like to have more info about the new GI rendering how to get faster or better renders with it... I mean there must be some improvement right?

Also, I notice that background is not rendered again in LW 2020 (HDR or Physical Sky). Didn't see an option to turn it on and couldn't get it using an environment light too.

I don't see any improvement yet but these are just first impressions and I didn't read the manual yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_GI_Proprocess.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	147396

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Ok...

Frankly... this is worth the upgrade price alone... You might have noticed that when you only wanted to use an ENV light, you had to change the shader to only do raytraced reflections instead of raytrace+backdrop (otherwise you would get double reflections). This meant that, for some shots, I had to save out dublicate LWOs just to cover that fact. Well... you don't have to do that anymore... also, look how great OpenGL looks now!

Ambient occlusion in openGL?

Wonder how the sunlight now looks like in openGL, previously it destroyed any decent openGL views once you switched from distant to sunlight model., was that fixed now?
    Unfortunately I Will not have time to install now for some weeks though, but I will check it..though not much excited me in it.

@Cageman: hmm, interesting... damn you for pointing things like this out

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Ok...

Thanks that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    Good feedback, I'm sure they'd love an actual organized list of user feedback for UI design improvements.

I agree those tabs could use some love, but that doesn't take away from the neat new stuff they added to Scene editor.

We could go round and round about priority and what should be worked first. It's simply a matter of time and resources.

Every release feels like its building on the last. From the outside-in, it feels like they might be maturing in their Agile software development process, so they almost need to slow down before they can speed up, if that makes sense.
    Yes, I agree. I noticed the double clicking in Scene Editor 2020 to open the Properties panel, that's useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post

LW 2020 takes 30% to 200% more time to render 2019 scenes, in others it's 50% faster (on a 16C/32T or 12C/24T machine with 64 GB RAM) using Brute Force, with the same setting from Monte Carlo from the old scenes.

Irradiance Cache is even worse. In one test with it took endless time to calculate Preprocess and I stopped when memory exceed 40 GB.

Also the LW 2020 renders with GI look quite different. Now that I finally got it how to produce good looking renders in 2019, old scenes look worse and I don't know what to change to get the 2019 look back. The lighting looks more flat and too dark when using HDR lighting.

I would really like to have more info about the new GI rendering how to get faster or better renders with it... I mean there must be some improvement right?

Also, I notice that background is not rendered again in LW 2020 (HDR or Physical Sky). Didn't see an option to turn it on and couldn't get it using an environment light too.

I don't see any improvement yet but these are just first impressions and I didn't read the manual yet.

Ouch... that doesn't sound super... hmm...

Hopefully Antti will do videos to explain these things. The ENV light is completely changed, and will force us to change how we set things up when doing GI. I just watched his ENV Light and OpenGL video. I am pretty sure there is a way to make things render as fast, if not faster, and have the same look and feel.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes, I agree. I noticed the double clicking in Scene Editor 2020 to open the Properties panel, that's useful.
    Really? That is neat... wonder what more secrets there are to find.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes i noticed that as well. Also render times for me a lot longer in 2020

Name:	TextBackdrop.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	147399

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed no background render of HDRi, or image world.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Indeed no background render of HDRi, or image world.
    If you use an environment light with the Global option, it should work.

Edit, sorry, no doesn't work... Only way I find is to add a backround image in Compositing tab but that's not the same.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-23-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Some of the Layout features look nice but I barely use Layout . 90% of my time is in Modeler, where they gave us basically nothing. I think this is the last year for the special upgrade price so I might have to skip this one and pay regular upgrade price next year. Not that I have any money right now anyway with this virus. I'm not even getting the $1200 from the government.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

there's quite a lot the manual has to say about how to use the new renderer. perhaps a good place to start. seems like a very different beast yet again, but still pbr.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...ounce-plug-ins

This one is interesting... https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...lation-systems

Does this mean that we will see particles and bullet see each other?

Question - For example the Hero scene from 2019 (PBR folder), looks different (more flat in my opinion) even though it already contains an Environment light and the background is not rendered.

The render time is longer in 2020 with less image quality. How can this be corrected in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Sad they can not communicate on that matter, you simply do not move towards uncertainty..you move away from it.
    Yes it would be nice if they communicated this since it's only really a guess on my part because they did that survey a year ago on modeler.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast