Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post

For now though, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Octane.
    Dude last 7-8 years because of Octane i can still use lightwave.. Trust me - you will not regret a second...

Ugh. I skipped 2019, so it's $495. As this is only a hobby for me, and I couldn't justify it last year, I *really* can't justify it this year. Too bad.

The wishes that I would have had in Lightwave 2020 have not come true. But it was just small wishes anyway.

My biggest wish was that LW 2020 comes quickly. Because then the LWCAD 2020 update will come soon.

That was the main reason for me to wait.
    But since I love Lightwave, I will also buy the update. But only in the second week of May.

A "New to 2020" section now appears in the docs (unless I missed it somehow earlier).

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/new-to-2020
    Last edited by devin; 04-23-2020 at 01:01 PM.

let me insert "modeler update" here )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Local_Symmetry.gif 
Views:	38 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	147394

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    developers who keeps ignoring modeler ? developers who keeps inventing new GIs instead of adding GPU - or at least dealing with Cycle ... Do not get me wrong - i want to LW to survive .. but like this it goes nowhere.. as a pro you know this better than anyone.. at least do not call this 2020.. make it a like free update ... i do not know .. i lost my hope with future updates.. I will SUPPORT the DEVELOPER named victor and 3rdpowers.. THEY deserve to be supported ...
    Exactly so. All they're really "supporting" is a corporation mistreating its customers.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-23-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Amazing. Lost for words.

Compare: the upcoming Blender 2.83 release's (four months of work since the last release) "more features" list by itself seems to include more improvements than this full point Lightwave release.

How is this possible? What on earth happened? How many developers are working on LW? It defies belief - after 15 months, or so? Even the C4d S22 half-way update seems lovely compared to what is on show here.

What the heck? And actually asking hundreds of $$$ for this? Stupefied.

Sorry. I always expect the worst, and hope for the best. But this release defies comprehension. Are they working on a consolidated version in the background? That would explain this.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

I am so sorry to post a non-bashing post here

I have skipped the 2019 upgrade so my price is $495 without VAT (559EUR with VAT).

I have done some quick test of my 2018 scene and I am surprised to see the following:
    renders in 2018 in 15min11sec
    renders in 2020 in 5min 39sec

It is a scene without GI.

Might be worth an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Exactly so. All they're really "supporting" is a corporation mistreating its customers.

If a product's developers continually disregard product customer needs across an extended period, only ever focusing more and more on the work they "want" to do, even at the expense of quality, then they do not deserve support. Further, any "support" of that sort does nothing positive for them or their professional development.
    I don't feel particularly mistreated.

I feel like I see a fair value for the upgrade price and, being in software development, understand there's a product backlog that most likely spans more development time needed to address those exact customer needs you mention.

I get it might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I personally know how hard it is and how much negotiation goes on and the constant shifting of plans and priorities that happen (even when stuff goes well) to get software released.

It would kill me to know that I tried my best to fulfill my user needs and this would be the response.

I really appreciate the fast updates to the documentation (the "whats new in 2020 just being published, thanks again BeeVee!), I can see the team inspecting and adapting the best they can and I choose to believe they do care about their users.

I also really love the UX improvements to the Scene editor so nice job to Matt as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    I am so sorry to post a non-bashing post here
    Nothing to be sorry about.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    I have done some quick test of my 2018 scene and I am surprised to see the following:
    renders in 2018 in 15min11sec
    renders in 2020 in 5min 39sec

It is a scene without GI.

Might be worth an upgrade.
    It would be interesting to see the Threadripper 3990X test on that (!). Also the new hair shaders and SSS look good.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    $495? For that?!?! ROFLMAO!

That took four extra months? When did they start? Feb'20?

Extremely disappointed.
    I think I will chime on on it at first glance as well, not much of impressiveness from my point of view..but I sort of suspected it.
    Will try it out though...just fiddled the other day with renderings and a little frustration of no direct tonemapping, so that feature is welcome though.

But still...it holds no significant layout ..or modeler enhancements Still, so Ivé already made up my mind to not upgrade, and same with rendering..not sure will have to try it out, but it needs to be faster for GI and fiberfx.

OpenGL enhancement I will look in to..it is needed, and the susbsurface as well..will take a look at that.
    VDB ok..but I think the main issue is the simulation and visualization for the gas solver..can´t see anything changed with that.

And scene editor..well, the Whole UI should be priority before that.

So considering the world situation and not a sparkle of hint to how modeling will continue, in layout..makes the decision quite clear to not upgrade and wait for 2 years and focus on other software.
    I will save these 495 to look at addons for other software..and also new hardware.

There´s got a be something extremely exciting when I test the new version that would allow me to reconsider..
    As usual the last years..it just feels darn thin.

To me it gives an impression that strengthens what many others already have said..they are really struggling with finding developers.

Now is probably the time to really put out job adds for recruiting developers, or do a trade off and let another company buy lightwave, Sersiously concerned now of how Lightwave can survive this much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    How many developers are working on LW?
    10 programmers
    1 documentation
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm not a developer, but it does seem like there might be some promising changes under the hood for those who develop plugins. Hopefully this will lead to some more things being developed for LW.

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    REALLY? Did you go to your account page? And then did you click on the "Special Discount" button? $295 USD for me, and I'm just a hobbyist!
    Nope... don't have that offer. I missed that by a few days if memory serves. But that is another topic... Maybe I get it.. at some point. But there are other more pressing things for me to think about at this point. I'm leaving the company I'm at this summer, and I was given permission to to my own things, work for others, or even start my own company.. so we'll see what I do. I will probably do remote programming jobs for those interested, but I will also make and release a few mobile games to start with... just to get the motor up and running.. to put it in another way. If I make something.. great.. if not.. it's something for my CV at least. Art, music and code together in one place .. but again, we'll see like I said. Right now I'm mainly using C4D (among other tools I use) but that too is up for renewal soon.. so again.. we'll see. I do have to be more careful with my money now.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast