Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Nice work LW Team!! Excited to pull the trigger on this and compare the new Open GL with VPR. I really like what Newtek is doing and want to see more, so take my money!

I just upgraded and looking forward to try the new render & VDB improvements. Still like LW for some experiments.

But: I fully agree, it's a very underwhelming upgrade, no new UI, no parametric Modeling, no Modeling in Layout etc., very disappointing and in my opinion most likely the nail in the coffin. I cannot imagine many new users are going to pay for this.

Edit: Also, disappointing launch material imho, where are tutorials for the new engine, VDB nodes etc.?
    The Tutorial links lead to 2019 feature user videos...!
    Downloading now and hoping to find some good content to start with.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Why do they off special pricing to "all" for the full version, but no special pricing for those who didn't upgrade five times in a row? I have v9, 15, 18 & 19, but just couldn't afford each and every upgrade. And since I mainly use Modeler, it doesn't make sense to upgrade.
    22Apr2020: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v445.87 (20Apr20)

Poking around the documentation now, really nice job Beevee!! Love the animated gifs

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    does one bite the tongue or go full rant mode...

I'm done with it
    Neither, won't make any difference.

It's not the money that I have a problem with, it's Lightwave 3d having a secretive route map and it's obvious from this release the road ahead is a bloody slow long one and with so many well priced indie versions available, this may be the first time from v9 I will give it a miss.

Feels a bit sparse to me also. I haven't checked if I get the $295 price, but I am pretty sure I do. Still talk about bad timing, if this was out in January, I'd probably have bought it immediately but with the state of the world at the moment, I am hesitating to spend even $295 for my hobby, same thing with LWCAD with it's $99 upgrade price. Prudent me and Impulse buy me are having an argument in my head lol

Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    Nice work LW Team!! Excited to pull the trigger on this and compare the new Open GL with VPR. I really like what Newtek is doing and want to see more, so take my money!
    the joke of the day..

Quote Originally Posted by Lito View Post
    Feels a bit sparse to me also. I haven't checked if I get the $295 price, but I am pretty sure I do. Still talk about bad timing, if this was out in January, I'd probably have bought it immediately but with the state of the world at the moment, I am hesitating to spend even $295 for my hobby, same thing with LWCAD with it's $99 upgrade price. Prudent me and Impulse buy me are having an argument in my head lol
    Actually, I did the LWCAD upgrade. I guess that's my Modeler upgrade!
    22Apr2020: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v445.87 (20Apr20)

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Actually, I did the LWCAD upgrade. I guess that's my Modeler upgrade!
    oh yes for last couple of years - victor and 3rd powers are updating modeler.. I am wondering is there anyone at NT actually remembers that MODELER is the part of the Lightwave..

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    the joke of the day..
    Aw, I just like what Lightwave does for me vs. the other tools - I just can't wrap my head around blender. Lucky to have the means to support what I like. I hope they put it to good use.

Hmmm.

Well, first I would like to say that this is the first time I have received an email from Newtek that was actually directly related to Lightwave.

That was very refreshing.

Alternately, to some extent, I'm with jwiede here... this is rather less than I expected, given the wait.

I've always personally been satisfied with what Modeler provided, so no Modeler improvements doesn't really concern me. I guess I haven't faced a situation where simply pushing points didn't get the job done. I've probably said that before, but so far it hasn't changed.

And while I know GPU rendering was a huge ask, again... my single biggest challenge in daily work is render times. Not modeling; not layout - texturing - lighting, or even rigging and animating; just rendering.

Knowing that when the scene is completed, I can expect to get rendered results in a reasonable amount of time. Especially when, in all likelihood, I will have to go back and make multiple changes and adjustments to the scene and re-render in between to check the results. Preferably all in one day... not several days.

So no news on that front is disappointing. Expected, but disappointing.

With all that said, I bought the upgrade because I actually really enjoy working in Lightwave and I'm invested in it, personally and professionally. As long as the dev team continues to maintain its commitment to developing new features, I will continue to support them.

Not going to stop poking them for GPU rendering though

For now though, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Octane.

At least the new Embergen FX partnership makes it potentially more appealing from a fiscal standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    Aw, I just like what Lightwave does for me vs. the other tools - I just can't wrap my head around blender. Lucky to have the means to support what I like. I hope they put it to good use.
    I agree with you. I will continue to support the devs. That said, I do think this version looks a bit thin. But as long as they keep developing it and putting out new versions, I have no plan to stop supporting them.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Using the trial version, rendering is immediately much cleaner for me, but slooooowww with the default settings and an environment light.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Congrats on the update!

I have to admit, it is hard to picture exactly what has changed just by the marketing. Will have to wait for some videos or the demo to get an idea of what is really new.
    Local action center sounds pretty interesting.
    Always interested in new GI options.
    Looks like a lot of production oriented features.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I agree with you. I will continue to support the devs. That said, I do think this version looks a bit thin. But as long as they keep developing it and putting out new versions, I have no plan to stop supporting them.
    developers who keeps ignoring modeler ? developers who keeps inventing new GIs instead of adding GPU - or at least dealing with Cycle ... Do not get me wrong - i want to LW to survive .. but like this it goes nowhere.. as a pro you know this better than anyone.. at least do not call this 2020.. make it a like free update ... i do not know .. i lost my hope with future updates.. I will SUPPORT the DEVELOPER named victor and 3rdpowers.. THEY deserve to be supported ...

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast