Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about the stand alone version of Messiah. As far as I know, there never was a V6 of the Messiah Studio plugin. I'd have to check through my old plugins but I'm pretty certain that I never had one and I owned every version.
    The Messiah website is still up and lists messiahStudio Pro 6 as the last version. I'm guessing (ie hoping) that version 6 works with LW2020.

Can someone at Newtek please post a "Bugs Fixed and Known Issues" document for LW2020?

That info isn't in the release notes (at least not as of release day).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Well I finally got this scene looking pretty decent in LW 2020. I chose this as my LW 2020 test scene. In some ways it looks better now especially for specular reflections now that we have no choice but to use the environment light. Before LW 2020 I tended to use standard materials for most image mapped surfaces like leaves and grass which led me to also use standard material translucency which did not look correct when using an environment light. It appears I will need to use PBR materials from now on with the environment light to get accurate looking surfaces. Some of the smaller shrubs are still standard materials and I had to render this with Brute Force since there seems to be a bug with Irradiance Cache.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Test4.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	402.3 KB 
ID:	147473
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    It zlxo says "you can reorder simulations in this window to better deal with interactions between simulation systems." which says that it may
    Nope. All the new APIs support (see LWSDK "include/lwsimulation.h") is enabling/disabling/resetting (and implicitly, order of processing) simulation plugins. There's nothing additional regarding enhanced integration between sims or further along those lines.

You folks really need to stop implying the release contains all these magical hidden features that aren't described anywhere, there is zero supporting evidence that's the case (and evidence there's nothing more is strong and growing). This talk of huge internal reworks and "secret behind-the-scenes" infrastructure changes is built on wishful thinking, here in reality the devs are terrified of touching existing LW infrastructure, and go out of their way to avoid it, even needlessly duplicating/replacing entirely-fixable existing code with parallel new (FBX is perfect example of that, as are the Environment changes).

Meanwhile, where existing code desperately need augmentation due to HORRIBLE existing behaviors (OOBE, Help, UI/UX, etc.), or where existing code is rife with low-hanging-fruit-level fixes (EVERYWHERE in LW), those needs remain largely unfixed, and untouched. If you can't see the pattern there, it's only because you're willfully choosing to ignore it.

They only write when the project is new and "fun" for them. Fixing bugs is annoying, so that mostly doesn't occur. Refactoring or reworking existing code is annoying, so they primarily staple on new stuff instead. Testing and validation are annoying, so those mostly don't occur. And so it goes.

As someone else mentioned...this feels more like "devs negatively acting out" covering cries for help. Further enabling/encouraging will just lead to further negative acting out.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The Messiah website is still up and lists messiahStudio Pro 6 as the last version. I'm guessing (ie hoping) that version 6 works with LW2020.
    Funnily all the downloads that are on the site directly still seem to be linking properly. There also is the source code for the host connection plugins ;-) Dating 2009, that is. And the LWplugin is still documented in the v5.0 docs, which are the most recent they ever officially had I believe... Anyway, I am no longer adding to the derailing of this thread just found it worth noting... :-]

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The site is talking about the standalone product not a LW plugin. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Hi Rustythe1 !

Nice renders and really great design !!!

What settings did you use ?
    Since I do mostly 4k animation this would be interesting to know.

Irradiance and / or Brute Force GI ?

Thanks for showing some great stuff !

Regards

Marcus
    only used one ray bruteforce! (although probably didn't need any as the difference between just the enviro light and gi is absolutely zero for this sort of thing) think it was 8 to 12 adaptive and 16 on the enviro light with a 16k hdri, no noise or flies at all in the conductor material, not sure how they did that!
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

cinematic weirdo

GI Render

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    only used one ray bruteforce! (although probably didn't need any as the difference between just the enviro light and gi is absolutely zero for this sort of thing) think it was 8 to 12 adaptive and 16 on the enviro light with a 16k hdri, no noise or flies at all in the conductor material, not sure how they did that!
    Hi Rustythe1 !

Thanks for the fast reply and the interesting information !

Wow. That is encouraging.
    So lets dig deeper into this.

Right now I have some issues with 3rd party plug-ins to crash LW 2020 so I have to sort a few things out before I can benefit from the improvements.
    (Win 10Pro with StarPro 2.2 no render / TFD 1439 no VPR or render)

But this new GI concept seems the way to go. :-)

Regards
    Marcus
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...w2020+plug-ins

I mentioned in this plugin thread, StarPro doesn’t appear to work properly.
    It will render on it’s own (with settings adjusted).
    But with an object in the scene, the object doesn’t render properly, but does without StarPro.

The image filter is doing something wierd.
    Last edited by Markc; 04-26-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

cinematic weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...w2020+plug-ins

I mentioned in this plugin thread, StarPro doesn’t appear to work properly.
    It will render on it’s own (with settings adjusted).
    But with an object in the scene, not.
    Hi Markc !

Thanks for the info !
    I totally missed that thread.

Good to collect sightings and see what is going to work.

Regards
    Marcus
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

Yep, I had to ramp up star brightness and change to linear luminance (not srgb).
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Seriosly?

LW would need so many UI improvements and almost nothing is done in all those years!

Still no dockable windows, UI flexibility, important dialogs not resizable etc.

And to demonstrate how few love and work goes into LW UI-wise:

Attachment 147395
    Yup. It was bad, now it's awful. I don't understand how this is getting thinner and thinner. It was way larger in LW 11.6.

What is "PMERIFE"? A lost uncharted island from the Canary Islands?
    _____
    /- /|/| 3D Animation and Special Effects

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes, I agree. I noticed the double clicking in Scene Editor 2020 to open the Properties panel, that's useful.
    What do you mean? Double clicking on a Light/Camera/Object opens the Properties panel? In the Classic Scene Editor that's been like this since... forever, I guess! In the new one it still doesn't open the panel when double clicking.
    _____
    /- /|/| 3D Animation and Special Effects

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah well.. I *was* on the $395 until I apparently wasn't (and no, I won't check with support to potentially fix it. I shouldn't have to.) And, forget it entirely if I'm put at $695. Then we're talking major level upgrades & changes in the program before I would even begin to consider it. As much as I love LW.. I won't be bleeding out either.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualFM View Post
    What do you mean? Double clicking on a Light/Camera/Object opens the Properties panel? In the Classic Scene Editor that's been like this since... forever, I guess! In the new one it still doesn't open the panel when double clicking.
    Yes you're right, it only works with one of the Scene Editors, same as in 2019. Somehow the Classic one is default in my LW 2019. I'm never sure which one to use and they behave very differently.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-26-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast