Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    Strange is that trial build is from 2 march (2020.0 (build 3214) (Win64) 02-Mar-2020) an relase date is April-23-2020. It must be well tested ;]
    From what I experienced so far no so much, I had many crashes already with LW 2020 with rather simple use cases (mostly VDB on the workstation but also on a laptop it crashes even when clicking on simple primitives in Layout in Textured View, most likely due to the OpenGL changes) while 2019.1.5, older LW versions and other 3d apps are stable.

I think they're just slow in everything they do or seriously understaffed. And that press text / feature list could have been written with less typing mistakes in a single afternoon. The content is very thin and of low quality. In one content folder there is a text file, that there's a known issue with loading particles from February. And voilā, I got that very error when loading a previously saved scene.

So there was not that much beta testing in my opinion but it was the same with previous releases, very obvious issues in the initial versions. If I find time I will start submitting bugs and I'm sure there will be an patches for those issues.
    Last edited by Marander; 04-24-2020 at 07:39 AM.

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    How about an upgrade price from Blender?
    Definitely - a $295 Blender upgrade.. LOL

Nvidia Studio Driver 442.92 will get RTX 2080 Ti working with denoiser. Same for all other RTX cards, I imagine. Hat tip to poster further back who suggested, thankyou.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-24-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    The content is very thin and of low quality. In one content folder there is a text file, that there's a known issue with loading particles from February. And voilā, I got that very error when loading a previously saved scene.

So there was not that much beta testing in my opinion but it was the same with previous releases, very obvious issues in the initial versions. If I find time I will start submitting bugs and I'm sure there will be an patches for those issues.
    They should give it free to any and all good users that put out content. See if some produce some. (most defected but hey, worth a shot, hope Mark got one free)

I enquired about being able to beta test, put forward my own time to help. Said they needed fast turnaround due to my location.

What can you say? I wanted to help. Lightwave could be great again with a few adjustments. Needs end users to give production feedback and devs to implement quickly.

No egos, just make the thing good for the content creators.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-24-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    I found an unpleasant bug - very low OGL performance compared to 2019 on scenes with character animation - for example, in a scene with a Dinosaur from content by 2019. The difference is about 10-20 times.

I think that's the biggest problem with LW right now - fix or add one thing it breaks another. Not sure if any engineering improvements mentioned will pave the way for less of this in the future.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

cinematic weirdo
    Hi everybody !

Is LWCAD 2018 and ODTools 2019 compatible /working with Lightwave 2020 or do we need updates / new versions ?
    Will EXRtrader and infiniMap work ?

Any new experiences ?!?

Thanks for evaluating !

Regards

Marcus
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

The AD price structure is mental...

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Hi everybody !

Is LWCAD 2018 and ODTools 2019 compatible /working with Lightwave 2020 or do we need updates / new versions ?

Any new experiences ?!?

Thanks for evaluating !

Regards

Marcus
    LWCAD 2018 and LW2020 is OK.

(lardbros): "The way I see it, is the user is punishing themselves, if they choose not to upgrade":

Not really, I couldn't afford it at the time.

Hi guys.
    When i click the Noise Filter in LW 2020 and i use on-GPU it tells me a supported GPU is not available for noise filtering. Cant understand. In Lw 2019 I didnt have those problems. I use a pc with RTX 2080 11gb.
    Anyone has the same problems? Anybody from Lightwave is listening.
    KAKAROUNTAS KONSTANTINOS
    CREATIVE DIRECTOR ,VFX-CG SUPERVISOR
    DAHOUSE PRODUCTIONS

I don't understand why some are seeing a $295 upgrade price. I've bought every version since V8, including CORE, and even with my Charter discount it's $395. Considering the very thin update, I think Newtek has finally seen the last of my money.
    I was going to update LW, update LWCAD, and buy Deep Rising FX, but now I'm seriously considering not doing any of that and moving over to Houdini. We've been waiting and hoping for major serious improvements and restructuring for how many years? I've seriously lost faith it's ever going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by drako View Post
    Hi guys.
    When i click the Noise Filter in LW 2020 and i use on-GPU it tells me a supported GPU is not available for noise filtering. Cant understand. In Lw 2019 I didnt have those problems. I use a pc with RTX 2080 11gb.
    Anyone has the same problems? Anybody from Lightwave is listening.
    I have GTX 2080 Ti and it worked fine for me (using the trial... but couldn't tell how good it was due to the checkerboard monstrosity on the end render.. being a trial version)

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Yes, we're being punished.
    It really depends on how you think of it. For me subscriptions are a crime against humanity but upgrades like these aren't. In fact to me it's more incentive to support them because I don't want them going subscription (which would mean I am done with LW and moving to blender). For example, if you skipped LW 2019 and you were at the $295 upgrade price point then, you saved $295 the last year while using LW2018. So this upgrade is only really going to be $200 with a $295 penalty for you if you get it during the special pricing period because your total cost was $495. A loyal LW user, spent $295 for LW 2019 + $295 now so their total cost is $590 for LW2020. You are actually getting a better deal being a lapsed upgrader than people who loyally upgrade every time. That is the reason why subscriptions became so popular, you can't lapse and save yourself money while using the older version of the software.

cinematic weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Hi everybody !

Any new experiences ?!?

Thanks for evaluating !

Regards

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    LWCAD 2018 and LW2020 is OK.
    Thanks for the Info !!!

Regards

Marcus
    Digital Cinema, Motion Control, VFX . . . cine-vfx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    I have GTX 2080 Ti and it worked fine for me (using the trial... but couldn't tell how good it was due to the checkerboard monstrosity on the end render.. being a trial version)
    No i use a licensed LW 2020 with RTX 2080 TI 11 GB. GTX is not the same technology as RTX btw. That is make me wonder. I have to see that in my 3 other machines. I go to use it also with other RTX and one old GTX 1080 TI i have.
    KAKAROUNTAS KONSTANTINOS
    CREATIVE DIRECTOR ,VFX-CG SUPERVISOR
    DAHOUSE PRODUCTIONS

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast