Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop/resume motion through node editor?

stop/resume motion through node editor?

I'm trying to create some procedural node connections that would allow an object to morph while certain logic conditions are met.
    However I'm stuck at the point that I don't know how to store the position (scalar) just before the switch goes off, and then resume from that value when switch goes on again.
    To simplify this, it would be great if there was a node that does a=a+b every frame and then I can go and turn b value from 1 to 0 whenever I want.
    Any ideas?

As far as i know there aren’t any nodes that work like that. It is a recurring request. There are ways to get around it using wind and a particle. (Turning on and off the wind and using the particle position as a sort of counter) perhaps there is a motion modifier out there that does something similar without the ridiculous particle work around. A motion script ought to be able to do this easily enough.

You could store the position in a particle, use wind to drive the particle.

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    You could store the position in a particle, use wind to drive the particle.
    Sounds complicated cause I have to do hundreds of those links. Is there an example of this somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennik View Post
    I'm trying to create some procedural node connections that would allow an object to morph while certain logic conditions are met.
    However I'm stuck at the point that I don't know how to store the position (scalar) just before the switch goes off, and then resume from that value when switch goes on again.
    To simplify this, it would be great if there was a node that does a=a+b every frame and then I can go and turn b value from 1 to 0 whenever I want.
    Any ideas?
    When you say "store the position", do you really mean just capture it for recall later, or actually store it to a file (which is a superset of that functionality)?

I seem to recall DB&W Tools plugin having "variable" nodes that sound like what you're seeking.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    When you say "store the position", do you really mean just capture it for recall later, or actually store it to a file (which is a superset of that functionality)?

I seem to recall DB&W Tools plugin having "variable" nodes that sound like what you're seeking.
    Capture it to recall it later within the animation. Lets say a motion stops in place when an object comes too close, and resumes when it goes away.

TrueArt Support
    TrueArt's Node Library 2019 has node CSV Reader
    http://nodelibrary.trueart.eu
    It allows reading CSV file that you can generate by e.g. script, math equation or procedural.. or edit in Open Office/Excel/Text Editor like it has been presented in the video below.

One CSV row could be one frame (or one second) of animation.

Watch this video:

Instead of going the node route you might want to take a look at Relativity. It can control morphs and has functions for doing conditional as well as event based animations.

Is it important that the animation starts/stops when you toggle the switch, or can you get by with blending it in and out of the animation when the conditions are met? It is easier to do stuff like the latter in nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Is it important that the animation starts/stops when you toggle the switch, or can you get by with blending it in and out of the animation when the conditions are met? It is easier to do stuff like the latter in nodes.
    It is important that the animation cycles start at the right timing. But what you suggest gave me an idea. I guess I could "blend" the output with zero and still retain the timing. I'll try this today.

I managed to get those animations the way I wanted! Basically reducing the cycling morphs to 0.1 from 1 did the trick, while also making the animation look more organic.
    But the amount of nodes required is insane at this point.
    Plus I used 3rd party nodes which prohibits me from sending this to a render farm. :-/
    Here is a screengrab of what the node editor looks like for a single "unit"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	node_editor.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	445.1 KB 
ID:	147655

Also a preview just to give you an idea of what I was animating (don't mind the crappy resolution)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djwud7jkuz...nim_2.mp4?dl=1

And I thought my node networks looked scary!

Actually it wouldn't look as scary if it was only one batch of morphs, but it is 8 batches of 5 morphs in a single object, which I automatically randomize to start at different times as soon as that object gets cloned. That way I don't have to mess with animating thousands of morph targets! You could say that's like a very basic node based randomized crowd animation.

there is no sanctuary....
    Very cool!
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 445.87
    LW 2020.01 x64
    Space Navigator

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    And I thought my node networks looked scary!
    Then look at Global Materials example node editor http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu/
    http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug...aterials_1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast