Thread: NC1 Studio Input Module and Tricaster 860

NC1 Studio Input Module and Tricaster 860

General connectivity question here....

My control room is setup with a Tricaster 860 AE2. I'm needing to mix a five camera show that will be produced a few buildings away, yet all buildings are networked together.

If I get a NC1, can my 5 cameras connect to it locally, convert the signals to NDI, and then appear as sources on my TC 860?

AND, if yes... then the NC1 is equivalent to having five Connect Sparks... that right?

Thanks for helping me understand!
    -Aaron

The NC1IO allows up to 8 channels of video (input or output).

The big questions are.

1. What kind of network performance is between these building? For high bandwidth NDI you need about ~100Mb/s for each 1080i stream, luckily TriCaster has bandwidth bandwidth management that can help in this case if you don't have a full ~500Mb/s of bandwidth performance.
    2. Is it all one subnet? If there are different subnets, you will need to use remote sources in NDI and there has to be the proper routing between subnets.

For #1 you can use a tool like iPerf3 to get an idea on what the network bandwidth is between the locations. For #2, you can use NDI Tools and try to setup a connection between a source at one location and destination at the other.

If you have the bandwidth and the routing between these locations, then it can work. A Connect NC1IO is like having multiple Spark units, this is the high bandwidth NDI being used, not the NDI-HX as found on Spark HDMI/SDI boxes.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the response, Kane!
    I've remembered that I have a Tricaster Mini that, if I remember correctly, can do the same thing... convert the SDI signals into NDI. So I'll do some testing with that and consult with our IT dept to make sure things are set up properly.
    Thanks!