Thread: Any way to export LWS?

Any way to export LWS?

Is there any 3d software that can import or transfer a LWS? and on the same subject what programs can import a LWO?
    Or even an OBJ with surfaces? (I know pretty much all 3d apps can handle an OBJ)

Cheers
    Last edited by ianay; 04-18-2020 at 10:26 AM.

I'm not sure on a scene file although they're just text. A number of other apps can probably handle objects. Both Layout & Modeler recognize OBJ's natively.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

OBJs with surfaces though...? to import or export...

3D Coat opens and exports LWO files, and I think Hitfilm opens them.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Blender..some versions can import LWO...though mostly 2015 and not the 2018-19 versions. lwo 5
    Same with houdini, same with vue..same with terragen.
    Vue can also export a scene in lws format.

Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    OBJs with surfaces though...? to import or export...
    Ya, as long as you've the .mtl file. It'll only be the basic surfaces. You'll need to rebuild any PBR type surfaces.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

I find importing objs with surfaces a bit 'Hit and miss' Meshroom for example always exports with working surfaces fine, realitycapture 'never' exports with working surface (even though there's always an MTL file,) ive found that most times when importing an OBJ that the surface just doesnt come with it even with an MTL. Is there a plug-in to sort this or is it just dependant on the software the obj is coming from?

FBX may be the interchange format you're seeking, especially going back to your original query about LWS.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by ianay View Post
    I find importing objs with surfaces a bit 'Hit and miss' Meshroom for example always exports with working surfaces fine, realitycapture 'never' exports with working surface (even though there's always an MTL file,) ive found that most times when importing an OBJ that the surface just doesnt come with it even with an MTL. Is there a plug-in to sort this or is it just dependant on the software the obj is coming from?
    I suspect on the export side for the mostpart. Took me a lot of T&E with OBJ's out of Daz to find the best working combo for how various things got split up when imported. On the LW side, there are options for OBJ as well.

If you use the OBJ One Layer option, you'll always be safe but all will be in just one layer. If on the other hand if the OBJ export has been set up for it, turning that OFF before importing will give you separate + Named layers.

If Modeler crashes when opening an OBJ, turn One Object back on & try again.

Any exporter should be making an mtl even if the surfaces are just using colors, but only the basics if any maps involved of course.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

TrueArt Support
    You cannot expect exporting LWO and/or LWS to reliably support LW surfaces. They use LW-specific procedural textures, nodes and plugins etc.

To sort of export LWO to 3rd party app and/or game engine you need to bake LW surfaces to image maps.
    This will help in some situations when node/shader is not using e.g. ray-tracing or similar techniques.

I made plugin which helps baking a lot of objects at once:
    Batch Baking Camera
    http://batchbakingcamera.trueart.eu
    It requires very little setting up time from user. Much less than LW baking camera.

I made plugin which helps baking LW scenes with animations:
    Bake Scene
    It can bake entire scene to the single .lwo with .mdd file with changes to vertices.
    It should be loadable anywhere which is supporting .mdd file.
    LW-specific motion modifiers, bones, deformations, nodes, are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    FBX may be the interchange format you're seeking, especially going back to your original query about LWS.
    I agree with raymondtrace. FBX is supported by many programs and it supports objects from LightWave and many basic object/surface properties, in addition to cameras, lights and motion data. Mostly likely, you'll need to re-work the surface settings in the other program if that's important, but UV maps and possibly the texture maps should come through.