Thread: Howler website closing after 20 years

Howler website closing after 20 years

It's been a long, tough road to get this software out there. I hope it has helped some of you.

My web host will be closing by the end of this month, taking a lot of our history with it. I don't have a lot of computer time or internet access to start a new one, so that is basically it for me, probably for this year, anyway. It's a disaster, no matter where I look these days, and I don't have the resources to keep going. Howler will continue to be available through our 3rd parties and our Partner at TheBest3d.com, but development is currently halted. Hope it starts up again some day, but it isn't looking great. Right now, I am just trying to keep alive. This shutdown has completely shut me down. Sales are zero. The government isn't sending any stimulus. There's no help anywhere.

You can still view my website while it's up at http://squirreldome.com/

Please, if anyone can help, I have at gofundme page here to help get a new computer so I can keep running.

Would it be possible to help you somehow by providing webspace? Would this be easy?
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600x, GTX 980 ti, 64 GB, LW 2018

You can contact me at [email protected]

Dan, the only suggestion I have is that you take some time to reflect on what you think are the software's core strengths -- the features where you think it provides unique opportunities to VFX or game production artists to get their work done faster, or in ways not as well implemented in other software. What do you think most makes it "special" or unique?

Then, post some videos highlighting those features on YouTube. In other words, why do you believe your software would be a useful addition to a production artists' toolbox. If you have some customers who are using it in production, ask them if they would be willing to post a video on how they integrate it into their own production work.

It's pretty clear it is very hard for a small developer to compete in today's marketplace. So I think you have to look for some ways to stand out from the crowd, and then make sure potential users "get it".

Good luck!

For sales, a lot of smaller developers use sites like Gumroad to distribute.
    Last edited by tburbage; 04-17-2020 at 03:39 PM.

LW Watcher
    Wow, that's tough and having visited your website I'm very impressed by your hard work.

Things may look tough now, but at the very least take a backup of your website so that in the future you can at least re-instate it.

I'm really surprised I'd never heard of this software, but if you do relaunch then the advice above would be a good idea - and an opportunity for a revamp.

I wish you all the best. We are all in difficult times. It will change.

Well, unfortunately, the features that sell aren't the professional and vfx ones. It's the consumer ones, and so for a long time we've been split on how we market the thing, and it just isn't working on either side. I do the professional stuff, and Phillip does the consumer stuff. I don't have the energy to develop and provide documentation and professionally recorded content, and Phillip isn't really an artist.
    Sadly, I've invested many times in expensive audio equipment, only to have it disappear after 1 or 2 uses. Our associates wanted a program that did only one thing, so they sold it as a toy for making landscapes. That got us typecast, and it's just been going down hill ever since

Searching for youtube for howler yields nothing, but found it on your site as a link to youtube there.
    Just wonder if it could have been presented differently on youtube..your channel is pdhowler, not howler which you sort of name it as otherwise.

Perhaps a total rebranding of it also to resonate with something with paint? just a suggestion, but you would still need a new website.

Again as I posted in the other thread about corona impacting business, add your site and youtube channel to your signature.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pdhowle...=dd&shelf_id=1

Dan,

I've been a somewhat sporadic user of Howler over the past 6 (?) years, and really appreciate the work that has gone into the software. I really want the software to continue, and I intend on upgrading to the current version really soon. The only reason I hadn't done so as yet, is due to the lack of money on my part, since I'm semi-retired these days (I'm 65). Also, now, the Covid 19 thing has reared it's ugly head, and has affected my source of additional income for a little while.

Please reconsider things. Your software is really good and I like it. It does some things that other painting SW doesn't. I do mention it to anyone I talk to. If I can, I'll take a look at your go fund me and see if I can help out.

Hi Dan,
    Happy to hear you are fighting, the software is available and you are reaching out.
    Sad to hear the travails going on for you.

If I could suggest anything, I would suggest sending an email to every educational facility and offer your software for a reasonable price for numbers. Especially, I would say try to get into special education art programs. That, I believe, is where your money could lie. They always have a need for such art tools and the Adobe path is becoming quite prohibitive for schools. For example, there are pictogram boards that are made for students with language delays that allow/encourage communication. Show how your program could be 'indispensible' in creating, arranging and printing pics for the board.
    I dream.
    I have watched autistic students use your program with great thrill. And having that Animation button on most EVERY panel... I just love that.
    I will get in touch.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Dan,

I've been a somewhat sporadic user of Howler over the past 6 (?) years, and really appreciate the work that has gone into the software. I really want the software to continue, and I intend on upgrading to the current version really soon. The only reason I hadn't done so as yet, is due to the lack of money on my part, since I'm semi-retired these days (I'm 65). Also, now, the Covid 19 thing has reared it's ugly head, and has affected my source of additional income for a little while.

Please reconsider things. Your software is really good and I like it. It does some things that other painting SW doesn't. I do mention it to anyone I talk to. If I can, I'll take a look at your go fund me and see if I can help out.
    You need to say B as well..for it to be effective, what does it do other painting software doesnīt do?
    Tthat can be helpful to stress on when Dan "markets" it ..or others promoting it.

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    I think part of the problem is not enough people know about your product. I just heard about it today from your ending it all post. If you like we can host your web pages for free on DiscreetFX. Not sure if that’s what you're looking for but glad to help if it’s needed. Bummer your site is shutting down. I’ll buy your product and try it out no problem. It’s always nice to support creative developers.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    @ Dan Ritchie

FYI, I just purchased your product.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

I will drop you an email. I could help with hosting the site.

This also highlights why subscription models are the way forward, despite LW users hating the concept.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

I've emailed you, but also...

"My web host will be closing by the end of this month, taking a lot of our history with it."
    they should be able to provide you with a backup. Are they running cPanel for you to access your resources?
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    I will drop you an email. I could help with hosting the site.

This also highlights why subscription models are the way forward, despite LW users hating the concept.
    I think that is a bit wrong perceived by you..
    As additional option yes, ..no one hates that concept..as long as they can choose, otherwise itīs a hostage situation.