Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Trees reflection in windows increasing render time by 8 times in LW2019.1.5

  1. #16
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    7,025
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Nope, it isn't that. Look closer. That is not a view "out the back" of the house.

    @Nicolas: Is the translucent leaf material Standard-based, pBSDF-based, or...? Can we please see its properties?
    The windows...I mean the windows are clear. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    At first, it looked like the windows were showing the lower parts of the trees behind the house.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Nope, it isn't that. Look closer. That is not a view "out the back" of the house.

    @Nicolas: Is the translucent leaf material Standard-based, pBSDF-based, or...? Can we please see its properties?
    The leaves are standard based with 250% translucency. I figured out what was causing the problem. It seems to be the blurred reflection or "glossy reflections" with roughness set to 20% on the white soffit, fascia & eves. Even though the reflection of the trees don't really show up it's still taking a huge amount of time to calculate it. I turned glossy reflections off for that surface and it lowered the render time to just over 8 min. Glossy reflections can be a killer in certain situations with this new render engine.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  3. #18

    did you try reflection samples to 5, for then to upping the antialiasing instead?

    Glossy reflections can be a killer in certain situations with this new render engine.
    yes!
    for example, for half FiberFX render-time, turn off Glossy Reflections.  (yep, half...)
    Last edited by erikals; 04-16-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  4. #19

    made a vid, so might as well...

    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  5. #20
    Often Banned Megalodon2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,042
    Why not just use an image of trees. I've been doing that for probably 25 years. Something like this? Or are you trying for a different look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KLM0007.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	147325  
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    did you try reflection samples to 5, for then to upping the antialiasing instead?


    yes!
    for example, for half FiberFX render-time, turn off Glossy Reflections.  (yep, half...)
    Lowering the reflection samples and upping antialiasing samples doesn't seem to make any significant difference in render time. The difference really seems to be if the surface in reflecting an image or actual 3d geometry that needs to be calculated which would make sense even with FiberFX since with glossy reflections on it would be calculating the reflections of the surrounding fibers.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Why not just use an image of trees. I've been doing that for probably 25 years. Something like this? Or are you trying for a different look?
    Ya I used to do that sometimes but I didn't think there would be a difference between an image and real 3d geometry when calculating reflections but apparently there is. I will probably have to go back to this method if I want trees in the reflections.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  8. #23
    Often Banned Megalodon2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Ya I used to do that sometimes but I didn't think there would be a difference between an image and real 3d geometry when calculating reflections but apparently there is. I will probably have to go back to this method if I want trees in the reflections.
    Yeah, there ARE differences because of the angles. If I was animating the scene, I would need to use actual reflections. But stills... nah, no need.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

  9. #24
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,869
    Translucency can really kick times up I've found.

    Those do seem odd values for translucency; I'm typically 40-80%. If you do use a Principled surface w/ translucency, it has to be set to Thin.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

    The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

  10. #25
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Ya I used to do that sometimes but I didn't think there would be a difference between an image and real 3d geometry when calculating reflections but apparently there is. I will probably have to go back to this method if I want trees in the reflections.
    If you're contemplating "faking reflections" for a scene of such moderate complexity in a recently-developed render engine, the real question is why you're still bothering with that render engine?

    No matter how you look at it, that's just really poor performance behavior for any modern render engine.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    If you're contemplating "faking reflections" for a scene of such moderate complexity in a recently-developed render engine, the real question is why you're still bothering with that render engine?

    No matter how you look at it, that's just really poor performance behavior for any modern render engine.
    Yes, there are times when I feel like I'm carefully tip-toeing around in the new Lightwave render engine trying not to make any changes that might increase render times from reasonable to ridiculous.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •