Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D printer

3D printer

Hi folks,

I'm going to get a 3D printer, I want something affordable and reliable. The website I am going to buy from is below, could you take a look and recommend me one, thank you!

There are some great YouTube videos that explain what to look for in a 3D printer to get the most bang for your buck. Before making a purchase commitment, your odds of minimizing a bad case of Buyer's Remorse can be diminished by reading through the posts in the support forums of whatever model you're considering.

Affordability and reliability are everyone's goal, but vendor support after the sale should be a high priority as well.

I have access to a pair of industrial-grade Raise3D N2+ machines; they run about $6k each, and can handle everything from PLA to Carbon fiber. One machine can operate for days without an issue and runs almost 24/7. The other is a problem child - in fact, I'll be replacing a broken flex coupler on it this morning. Paying more isn't always a true indicator of reliability. Raise3D does a pretty good job regarding customer support. Would I buy one for home use? Not with the 50% success rate I've experienced. I could buy (6) $1000 cheap printer for the same price and take my chances, with hot spares. I like the ideaMaker software it uses- you can download it for free and slice up your own designs exported from Lightwave.

After affordability, choice becomes heavily-influenced by the print resolution and filament material needed, followed by the work volume of the printer. (I need something that can print objects up to 24 inches high, so my choices are likely more limited than yours.) The good news is, prices are dropping as performance is increasing, so there are more options than ever to choose from.

In short, reading actual user's comments about the model you're leaning towards is one of the best tips I can pass on.

CCC

I'm considering a home printer too, but for that kind of money to be justified, it needs to be rock-solid.

LW Watcher
    [QUOTE=lewisoliver;1590710]Hi folks,

I'm going to get a 3D printer, I want something affordable and reliable. The website I am going to buy from is below, could you take a look and recommend me one, thank you!

[Link removed]

Hhm, first post and a link to a particular store..

I can't speak to any of the models on the site you listed only of the one I bought which is a Tevo Tornado. I did lots of reading and watching of YouTube before I made my choice and I think that's always a good place to start.
    One mistake I did make. Having decided the model I wanted I I searched for it on Amazon rather than order direct from China, figuring I'd have an easier recourse for non supply etc.
    What I didn't realise was I'd logged on to Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk as all prices were quoted in pounds. It was only after it had been delivered and sat awaiting assembly for a week that I was watching more YouTube videos on that topic that someone mentioned checking what supply voltage the unit was supplied with.
    A quick run down to the cellar revealed mine was indeed a 110v version, arrrggh.
    Long story short, rather than get involved in the hassle of returning it for replacement I bought a voltage converter and everything works fine. I'm very happy with the purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Good point.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Should I ever get enough money, I've been eyeing Prusa i3 Mk3; everything I read at the time was positive, and I'd pay to have the unit assembled, with a few of the accessories added as well.

It looks like it supports various open source slicers, and has a high enough print resolution for what I'd like to do with it, which is make small jig pieces for the workshop and replacement/custom part for plastic models.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Prusa i3 Mk3
    yeah, seems nice based on Youtube reviews

There are some great YouTube videos that explain what to look for in a 3D printer to get the most bang for your buck.
    yup. check Youtube reviews.

good catch! lets see...  
    Last edited by erikals; 04-13-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I currently use a Creality CR-10s (kinda outdated by now) and it has been a reliable workhorse for my needs for the last 4 years. Using Lightwave models I've made quite a few things that you just can't buy in a store, like freezer cabinet brackets, gluestick holders, specifically-sized hooks for items, custom screw brackets, cases for electronics (IE: raspberry pi), sockets, mounts, and general household items.

Know that mastering 3d printing takes a pretty long time because it bleeds into CNC engineering territory. You can print basic objects easy enough, but when you start caring about the strength of your creations, or the speed at which they print, or the amount of plastic required to print something, you will eventually need to seek out info on that subject and discover what works and what doesn't. This involves not only the actual model, but the settings you tell the printer to use (wall thickness, infill %, etc).
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 04-14-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I bought a second hand Flashforge Finder about 8 months ago. Been printing a lot of toy related items for my 2 year old son. Things for his Brio train and sandbox. I've designed a few items too, and it's a lot of fun to see them 'come to life' physically.

My findings with the Flashforge Finder is; it's a cheap way to get into 3D printing (if you can find it second hand. I paid $100. Retail price is about $500-550 here)
    If I were to do an upgrade now (larger printing volume), I would probably go for another relatively cheap model; Creality Ender 3, or something like it. A lot of the Brio stuff requires more than the 14x14x14 cm volume.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

LW Watcher
    This is one of those posts where someone drops their link and is never seen again while the community carries on answering their irrelevant question.

What's the point?

1) Extra visits to the linked site.
    2) An SEO backlink.

It's working.

we have Hijacked his thread.  

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    we have Hijacked his thread.  

Stand back! and cower in awe of the mighty Cetus3D!

(My 3D printer)

new or old one?

good guide to 3D printers in 2019 / 2020 >

I currently use a Creality CR-10s
    yup, did consider this one some time back.  (build volume of 300x300x400mm)

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    new or old one?
    I have the original v1, very close to the one below but the extended version. Really pleased with it.

https://youtu.be/mnTiSZJdN34

very cool.   

have yet to build mine, so much to do, so little time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast