Thread: NDI HX Camera iPhone to Zoom macOS

NDI HX Camera iPhone to Zoom macOS

I'd love to use NDI HX Camera to make my iPhone 11 a remote camera for Zoom on macOS, as described in the press release linked from this More article. I installed the NDI Tools and the NDI HX Driver but the NDI camera doesn't show up as an available video source in Zoom (or anywhere else on my Mac).

I didn't see any manual or FAQ or instructions for using these tools. Could someone please point me to some information about how to get this working as described in the company press release?

Thanks.

You have to use 'NDI Virtual Input' that is included with 'NDI Tools' on a Windows system to do this. The OSX version of NDI Tools doesn't have the NDI Virtual Input feature.

The first video at this link show the how NDI Virtual Input works. The source is a TriCaster, but it could be NDI HX Camera as well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MlYgCOjGMD2Sri
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    You have to use 'NDI Virtual Input' that is included with 'NDI Tools' on a Windows system to do this. The OSX version of NDI Tools doesn't have the NDI Virtual Input feature.
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully NDI will produce a Virtual Input tool for macOS.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewrich View Post
    ... the NDI camera doesn't show up as an available video source in Zoom (or anywhere else on my Mac).
    FWIW, using Virtual Input on my Win 10 laptop, this works like a charm.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    FWIW, using Virtual Input on my Win 10 laptop, this works like a charm.
    Thanks for the update. I found an alternate solution which seems to work fairly well from iPhone to macOS.

Thanks for the update. I found an alternate solution which seems to work fairly well from iPhone to macOS.

I tried your solution with my MAC (Catalina 10.15.4) and Iphone 11 Max but from the mac I don't see the cam
    where can I have wrong?

Thank you kanep, can you explain why the Virtual Input is now included with the NDI tools for MAC if it doesn't work? https://www.ndi.tv/tools

I've used the Mac version of Virtual Input without issue on lots of applications. My Mac is running OSX 10.13, starting with OSX 10.14 and higher there can be OSX security aspects that might prevent some applications from using virutal webcams. For Zoom, there is a way to lower it's secuirty to get it working.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I'd love to use NDI HX Camera to make my iPhone 11 a remote camera for Zoom on macOS, as described in the press release linked from this More article. I installed the NDI Tools and the NDI HX Driver but the NDI camera doesn't show up as an available video source in Zoom (or anywhere else on my Mac).

I didn't see any manual or FAQ or instructions for using these tools. Could someone please point me to some information about how to get this working as described in the company press release?

Thanks.

The problem right now isn't just with NewTek Virtual Input its with Zoom and MacOS Catalina. From what I've researched on this topic virtual cams can need a special entitlement in MacOS to be able to run. This also has to do with the code signatures for the application (like Zoom) that you are using. The current workaround is to use an older version of Zoom (I think it was 4.6.9 or later that the signature stopped allowing virtual cams), or remove the code signature from your current version of Zoom (see video below). The code signature thing has worked for me on Catalina 10.15.4 and Zoom 5.0.3 (the latest versions as I'm writing this). I made this YouTube video in the last few days that shows how to install the NDI Virtual Input on Mac and also walks you though what you need to remove Zoom's signature which will re-enable your virtual cams. Disclaimer that if you do this you are are opening yourself back up to some of the security issues that were patched in the latest versions of Zoom. You will also have to remove the signature after every upgrade to a new Zoom version because any new update will have the signature added back in. After updates I'd recommend checking to see if your virtual cam still works in case they fix it in the future without needing this workaround. Probably also a good idea to keep a copy of any Zoom installers instead of trashing them so if you need to go back a version you'll have that option available without having to dig around the web for an old version.

YouTube video showing NDI Virtual Input setup on MacOS along with getting it to work in Zoom with signature removal:
    https://youtu.be/mo66FDI5nFA

I'm curious if NewTek is in contact with Zoom or Apple around getting a fix to this in the Virtual Input app or getting some kind of signing or exception added in Zoom or MacOS to allow the NDI app to work? Would love to hear any updates.

Hope this helps!

We all need to contact Zoom about this. You can do this via the 'Help' menu in the Zoom Mac client - <Help> <Report Problem>

This text just fits in the 'Report Problem' box: "Newtek Virtual Input On MAC OS With Zoom
    MAC OS security settings require applications to enable loading of any libraries that are code-signed by another publisher or company.* Most 3rd party applications (Skype, Teams etc), work with Newtek Virtual Input.*But Zoom is unable to load other companies’ libraries and so Zoom is can't accept Virtual Input source as a webcam.
    Can you change your application signing services, i.e. allow 3rd party library loading so that Newtek Virtual Input can work?"

Quote Originally Posted by ricnev View Post
    We all need to contact Zoom about this. You can do this via the 'Help' menu in the Zoom Mac client - <Help> <Report Problem>

This text just fits in the 'Report Problem' box: "Newtek Virtual Input On MAC OS With Zoom
    MAC OS security settings require applications to enable loading of any libraries that are code-signed by another publisher or company.* Most 3rd party applications (Skype, Teams etc), work with Newtek Virtual Input.*But Zoom is unable to load other companies’ libraries and so Zoom is can't accept Virtual Input source as a webcam.
    Can you change your application signing services, i.e. allow 3rd party library loading so that Newtek Virtual Input can work?"
    It looks like Zoom are about to resolve this issue:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201361963

yeah, I installed the 5.0.4 update just now and for me it's now fixed!