Thread: Lightwave Volumetrics 2019-2020

Lightwave Volumetrics 2019-2020

Well..some old images, but I really need to check the workings of embedding from flickr, I think I now will move from google photos, cause no matter how I try and get a shared link, lightwave forums can not display the url images directly, and from what Ivé know from answers, google photos doesnīt allow for embedding in to other forums.

Flickr however, I go to share, and use the BBC code ..itīs a long one, but it seems to work but I need to verify with you folks.
    So if you are having problems on desktop computers..or moible phones? please let me know will you.

Edit..yep works on my mobile phone...as for flickr, itīs a bit more messy to uppload and add to albums than google, but it can at least share the BBC code for embedding that works, so use the share icon and check BBC code and copy and paste in this forums image url options.

Whatīs a bit frustrating on adding images on this forum is when you check from url, I always have to click that twice, because the option goes away once first clicked here on the forums, then I have to uncheck retrieve and reference locally.
    Blender forums are handling this better....again, the forums need a serious revamp.

If it works for you and me while checking on mobile phone as well..then I think I will soon delete my google photo account, Iīm not gonna use a deviant site or art station for experimental unfinnished work, this is mostly just that...for sharing insight.

And an recommendation and advice, I would say..for exterior fog ray renders and such in landscape, skip the Global scattering method, learn to use a primitive in volume mode as a fog item, it will give you much more control and control over quality and speed in the render, height absorbtion which would be very hard to acheive with Global scattering alone, I think they need to revisit the global scattering and implement exposed controls for things like height, depth, density...there is no density control ..no absorbtion, emission etc or quality setting..you only got what you got with volumetric samples for quality ..and it could be very slow to render.
    Fog rays in forrest is using fog items, not global scattering...donīt think I could get the same results as I want with global scattering.

[IMG]ScreenShot 01-08-20 at 08.12.36 PM by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]forrest fog rays by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Cloud whisp2 by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]5 by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]3 by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]ScreenShot 01-09-20 at 08.58.41 AM by Michael Ivarsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

It'd be interesting to know render times for the images as well (in their current state).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It'd be interesting to know render times for the images as well (in their current state).
    But..then I have to re-render

many of those were vpr drafts and as such I never bothered to final render, would have to open them, the embergen fire ones, that I rendered out as sequences and posted on youtube, so those I can tell was around 7 min per frame.
    You can see the vpr duration for some of the embergen fire in the screenshot at the lower vpr status bar, and also for the first image posted.

as for the forrest and rays, that was very long render, but that was also a very dense 3Ds tree, instanced to 1.7 millions of polys, and quite many gi rays I think, and also, I had a lot of volumetric light samples for that, and low step size as well..so that one took around 1 h and 50 minutes, and ...I had yet another low fog layer that isnīt really visibile there..could have removed that to increase speed..so that one I could get down to 1 hour perhaps if I am lucky the others would render faster..the whispy clouds was probably fast, cause you can see I had very low volumetric light samples, probably default..so increasing that to 10 or more and the grain would be gone, but that scene seem to have escaped me, or I did it in the discovery edition..I had trouble finding, so I need more disciplin with the content.

For most volumetric stuff that includes rays of sunbeam quality, I think you have to accept times around 45-60 minutes, thatīs often the case with vue, and terragen as I have experienced..and as well with Lightwave when.

render stats, I took a screenshot of it before closing...so you have cam aa data and some others, but not the volumetric step size and quality settings.
    I also had little harddrive space available while doing this, and a lot of browsers open, so it could impacted time.

Whatīs nice with this one, is that I managed to get a good fade off for the density of the ground fog with a layer scalar node and a gradient set to y object and referencing the ground, gradient need to have on value at zero alpha level.
    Absorbtion set to blue made the fog turn and fade as strong reddish brown which I like and have seen from some misty images sometimes.
    The fog item isnīt using non pyroclastic or pyroclastic it is without any of those options that can use a texture...you just need to balance scatterin scale enough and absorbtion, and shadow density...and set the proper scattering color...if I wish the fog to be more bluish, I would have changed scatter color or absorbtion color...getting this to work with global scattering is a no no for me...and it would most likely be extremely slower to render than this.

ASus rog G20B i7-6700 cpu 3,40 GHz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render stats.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	147233