Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWCAD for daily modeling

LWCAD for daily modeling

Hello,

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on LWcad as a general add on for Modeler beyond Archviz. I do not do archviz and yet still see the plugin as heavily recommended but am not sure I understand what it will offer. I see it's on special now and am very interested. Would it for example speed up workflow for car modeling, product modeling etc? If so are there any videos on this?

Thanks in advance.

For me, it's the snapping and things like the live arrays, and instancing. I use it for industrial design a lot, and it's just so handy to be able to snap to just about anything.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Would it for example speed up workflow for car modeling
    For that i think TrueArt EasySpline is the best.

For making a building / house / skyscraper LWcad is the way.

also see >

and > https://www.youtube.com/user/viktorvelicko/videos

...product modeling etc?
    note; for a Car Engine for example, LWcad is certainly of use.
    Last edited by erikals; 04-06-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by ilanvfs View Post
    Hello,

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on LWcad as a general add on for Modeler beyond Archviz. I do not do archviz and yet still see the plugin as heavily recommended but am not sure I understand what it will offer. I see it's on special now and am very interested. Would it for example speed up workflow for car modeling, product modeling etc? If so are there any videos on this?

Thanks in advance.
    There are a number of features that once played with & understood, many new users end up saying the same thing: "Why isn't this something already in Modeler?"

There's a bit of a learning curve but watch the Tutorials, even earlier ones, and just explore. Main thing to keep in mind I guess is that you're working with Polys and NURBS.

Watch Viktor run through some paces & you'll see it's a good, thinking out loud, doodle tool.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

I use LWcad for all modelling tasks. I would recommend pictrix sp_ plugins too : sp_move, sp_shear, px_resize. px_align etc

Unfortunately pictrix re_size is is x32 only. this is THE best tool for scaling in any modelling task.

I also use pictrix C_bend and UVcreeper a lot too. C_bend is essential as LW bend tool is utter garbage.

Also, use OD_copy/paste and get the advantages of other tools to make up for lacking areas.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I use LWcad for all modelling tasks. I would recommend pictrix sp_ plugins too : sp_move, sp_shear, px_resize. px_align etc

Unfortunately pictrix re_size is is x32 only. this is THE best tool for scaling in any modelling task.

I also use pictrix C_bend and UVcreeper a lot too. C_bend is essential as LW bend tool is utter garbage.

Also, use OD_copy/paste and get the advantages of other tools to make up for lacking areas.
    They have awesome plugins!!! Downloading them now.

Andy Peterson
    Yes. Absolutely. It will take you beyond a polygon mentality. Design, engineering, manufacturing and architectural work happens earlier in the pipeline. Booleans, lofts, and sweep operations are part of that world. Curves, NURBS and solids are the building blocks. Those objects can easily be converted to meshes for use in LightWave.

LWCAD seems to be heading in this direction. And it keeps evolving.

More importantly, it gives you a robust referencing system. Once you use work planes and construction lines and have things like viewport measurements, guide hinting and opengl buttons, intuitive snapping, you’ll wonder how you got by without them.

I have been marveling at how cool the modeling tools in LWCAD are. In another life that might have been my bread and butter. Still, I may just make have to take this offer up while it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    For me, it's the snapping and things like the live arrays, and instancing. I use it for industrial design a lot, and it's just so handy to be able to snap to just about anything.
    I absolutely agree with the above. Once I was asked to build a palace made of cards and, for me, the most practical way to do this was using LWCAD. Thanks to LWCAD I was able to complete the structure in a day or two; otherwise, it might have taken me all week to place hundreds of cards exactly the way we wanted. I guess that was technically an 'arch-viz' task but not really.

I don't use LWCAD often but I was soooo glad to have it on that job.

Well, everyday sort of stuff huh?

OK. Old friend wanted some help so he could even just describe to his fabricator particular bends for a new shower install. So, I went from this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NuJeffShowerBar.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	147234

... and I whanged this out in ~ 20 mins or so once I limbered up the wetware.

Name:	ShowerRailingAfter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	147235

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Well, everyday sort of stuff huh?

OK. Old friend wanted some help so he could even just describe to his fabricator particular bends for a new shower install. So, I went from this...

Name:	NuJeffShowerBar.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	147234

... and I whanged this out in ~ 20 mins or so once I limbered up the wetware.

Name:	ShowerRailingAfter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	147235
    Thank you. The up top drawing made me smile

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post

completely agree - especially Resize .. my god how much i miss this tool in 64 bit....

Quote Originally Posted by ilanvfs View Post
    Thank you. The up top drawing made me smile
    You'd be amazed how difficult to get even this from some of my associates who are high end, top paid graphic professionals. You'd think I was asking their kids to shoot the puppy!

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

especially (PicTrix) Resize ..
    looks a bit like the LightWave Translate tool ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    completely agree - especially Resize .. my god how much i miss this tool in 64 bit....

1/2
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast