Thread: IK Boost Question

IK Boost Question

Don't understand why the controller menus are there sometimes and sometimes they are not. I'm trying to follow along on a IK Boost tutorial about bone dynamics and the tutorial says to set the first bone in the chain to quaternian and I cant seem to get the menu to appear in order to set the bone to quaternian. The only menu that appears lists weight, resistance, spring, viscosity, size, on/off, end edit. Also - the IK Boost controller doesn't display as a box with the red green and blue numbers around it like in the tutorial. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.
    Last edited by sgmusic; 04-06-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgmusic View Post
    Don't understand why the controller menus are there sometimes and sometimes they are not. I'm trying to follow along on a IK Boost tutorial about bone dynamics and the tutorial says to set the first bone in the chain to quaternian and I cant seem to get the menu to appear in order to set the bone to quaternian. The only menu that appears lists weight, resistance, spring, viscosity, size, on/off, end edit. Also - the IK Boost controller doesn't display as a box with the red green and blue numbers around it like in the tutorial. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.
    You are still in dynamics edit mode if you see the weight, spring etc..right click and choose end edit, then right click again on that bone ik control and you shall have your mode/quaternion.

for the other display issue, I do not know..I need to see an image from that tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You are still in dynamics edit mode if you see the weight, spring etc..right click and choose end edit, then right click again on that bone ik control and you shall have your mode/quaternion.

for the other display issue, I do not know..I need to see an image from that tutorial.
    Thanks!! One other question....
    In the tutorial he was explaining how to apply the dynamics to a bone using the dynamics selection from that right click menu
    He did not have to calculate the IKB - he just played back the animation and the bone moved (secondary motion). When I try that the bone doesn't move at all. When I try to calculate the IKB, the bone I selected moves but after a few frames the entire rig just keels over!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgmusic View Post
    Thanks!! One other question....
    In the tutorial he was explaining how to apply the dynamics to a bone using the dynamics selection from that right click menu
    He did not have to calculate the IKB - he just played back the animation and the bone moved (secondary motion). When I try that the bone doesn't move at all. When I try to calculate the IKB, the bone I selected moves but after a few frames the entire rig just keels over!!
    ikb always needs to be calculated, as for all things going wonky...canīt tell, depends on weight settings, and other dynamic settings, and I would need to know what tutorial you follow..is it free, then I can check, if itīs not..the only thing you can do is to follow exactly what they do.

To be clear, the "calculation" for IKB dynamics (via right click menu) does not happen in the FX tab, it happens as soon as you hit the OK button when it comes to the dynamics effect function.

Might be helpful if you post an example scene you're trying to work on and the effect you want. There should be a full set of baked keyframes in the timeline after performing such action, and whether you get good results will depend on a few things, such as scale, bone orientation and frames per second.

For general physics needs though I do recommend migrating to Bullet eventually, as it generally renders Lightwave's old physics solutions (including IKBooster dynamics) obsolete.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 04-06-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thanks Guys! I think I will give Bullet a try.