Thread: Why are these Macros so inconsistent?

Why are these Macros so inconsistent?

I have spent the last 3 hours programming and re-programming macros, one after the other.

One minute the intro links and triggers as it should, the next to does a 'half-auto transition', or switches correctly and then suddenly cuts to another unprogrammed input.

Or it was do a a transition and then 10 seconds into it, it will suddenly start playing a DDR.

So I wipe the Macro and start fresh one more time.

I have a big live stream tonight and I am rapidly losing faith in the Mini HD. I bought it several years ago as an answer to my prayers and at every turn it seems to provide another nightmare instead.

I wonder could the internal battery be to blame? It is about 5 years old now at a guess, would this cause these sporadic challenges?

Every now and then it also loses which is the priority monitor setting too.

Does anyone have any experience like this and of course, how the hell do I change the battery.

I would replace the mobo battery if needed, I have seen some interesting behaviors described here when the battery is dead. When it comes to macros what I have found is that the starting state matters. If the transition has changed, duration selection etc when you fire the macro it will be different. As such all my long macros for show intros have the first lines (sometimes 20+ lines) are making sure that the starting state is the known expected starting state, hold for a second, and then begin doing the changes.

It would help to have a picture of the macro. Trying to resolve macro issues is virtually impossible without seeing it.

What I can say about building macros is that timing matters. BIG TIME.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Many thanks. I'll experiment some more and come back with my conclusions.

Battery replacement on the mini? Any hints, tips, video on how to do it safely?

I doubt the battery has anything to do with the macro system. Is the Mini still keeping time even when it is unplugged? If so, then the battery is probably okay, although the life span of a CMOS battery is usually around 5 years.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Plus it's a major operation to replace it in the Mini, requiring nearly a complete strip down. Don't do it unless you have to.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Starting from a known state might help you. Perhaps using a macro to load presets/e-mems first would help?

Macros should execute the same actions every time, but it is super important to make sure everything is included and that the same macro will apply in every situation. Sometimes you have to put in a lot more stuff just to make sure the actions will have the intended results.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Thanks folks. I'll keep at it and come back once I have a consistent issue I can share properly.

Bob feel free to PM me and I can give you a more detailed process I use but here in general is how I do my macros.

I use the recorder to record most of the macros commands. I delete every bit of timing out of them and time then all manually. I also try to avoid any "auto" commands if possible. Auto will mess you up like others have said if you find you self in a different state than you intended to be. I instead try to give the 0 and 1 commands for off and on when applicable.

I also try to put as many safety nets as possible back in place. For example I try to use buffers vs the GFX BIN whenever possible. Macros on a Tricaster really are an art. They can make a good show great.