Thread: Corona virus stuff

Corona virus stuff

Just some ideas flowing from the virus situation. Lots of instancing experimentation. I'm a delivery driver and my wife is a nurse in real life so no disrespect or making light of the situation. I just deal through creativity. Talk care everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Covid spikey oarngePS.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	147206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Covid Cells in Water.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	147207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Covid_Morgue.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	147208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It Came From Space.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	147209  

LW Watcher
    I wish you hadn't posted the one of the skeleton.

It's insensitive given that people here may know people suffering or had people succumb. It's not an image you want to have in those circumstances, or perhaps ever.

I'm fortunate (so far) but I find the renders amazing but a bit close to home in the current circumstances.
    Last edited by pauland; 04-04-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Nicely done! The skeleton one is my favorite!

That art is quite striking! Thanks for posting those images!

Just ignore any wannabe censors.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just ignore any wannabe censors.
    If you want to refer to me, at least say so.

It's not for me to be a censor here, but I've expressed an opinion that I find some of it insensitive. You may feel the same if it ever comes closer to home. I hope it doesn't.

The virus killed a five-year-old kid yesterday and two nurses that had six children of their own.

i felt it too,

on the other hand, it can be a wake-up call / reminder for some that take it too lightly.

many jokes about it, but this shows the serious side of the situation.

i don't like it, but it is an important message also.

we should feel lucky that it didn't hit harder, that it didn't mutate into something beyond dangerous, at least not yet. [phew]

thank you mballard, an important awakening.

we must be careful hiding things we don't feel pleasant.
    Last edited by erikals; 04-05-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Well..hard to say, one definetely have to be careful and not upset people..canīt judge really on this, I suppose it will upset those near all this, for me personally not so much..but again, maybe think twice.

Then again we have media showcasing the real deal with patients on the floor, bodybags..itīs not as graphicly extreme, but we got it thrown in our faces anyway..despite that it can be told about, but that is often what is needed, same with vietnam wars, second world war..we could have done without the real pictures to understand, but the real pictures gives weight to the truth in the horrors.

Now this was on the other hand not proving any real situation, rather a fictional description connecting to death..and sure, that can be too provocative and morbid perhaps, but on the other hand..it was most likely not aimed to be provoking, less careful perhaps on other feelings.

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i felt it too,

on the other hand, it can be a wake-up call / reminder for some that take it too lightly.

many jokes about it, but this shows the serious side of the situation.

i don't like it, but it is an important message also.

we should feel lucky that it didn't hit harder, that it didn't mutate into something beyond dangerous, at least not yet. [phew]

thank you mballard, an important awakening.

we must be careful hiding things we don't feel pleasant.
    I would say this - we are bombarded with the message about how serious it is.
    Nobody is hiding anything.
    An artists impression of the coronavirus on a skeleton doesn't contribute to any awareness nor is it accurate in any way.

I find it ghoulish in these circumstances, if I had seen this three weeks ago I would have cared less and probably this time next year the same, but right now, no.

Ironically I made an IOS "packman-inspired" game for a client that featured biological entities, including a virus. If I wanted to profit from people's misery I could revamp it for current times. I will never do that.

The renders show a great deal of skill and I would normally applaud them, but not yet.

Many answers / opinions i guess. Find it hard myself to make it "One Truth"

at least good to see there ARE opinions on it.  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Pretty good graphical breakdown protein by protein.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-protein.html
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    I liked the one with the cells in water but my fav was the space one. I'm a big sci-fi fan.

Steve

Thank you everyone. I apologize if the skeleton piece came off as insensitive. The idea came to me as I was out there delivering packages as this was where I might end up. A personal feeling I guess i put into an image. Stay safe.

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by mballard View Post
    Thank you everyone. I apologize if the skeleton piece came off as insensitive. The idea came to me as I was out there delivering packages as this was where I might end up. A personal feeling I guess i put into an image. Stay safe.
    Thank you for being out there delivering stuff.

You are skilled with LW for sure.

Yesterday our neighbour died ( not corona-virus related ). He daughter knocked at the door, kept a safe distance and told us.

Her daughter is a consultant at the Accident & Emergency department of a nearby hospital. As well as talking about her mother I thanked her and her colleagues for the work they do.

I can say she looked terrible - absolutely tired out and terribly thin. The strain in the hospital was written in her face. She says the worst is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I would say this - we are bombarded with the message about how serious it is...
    We choose to be bombarded. Others may not be so tuned in...and the message may not reach through their thick skulls without bombardment.

I live in a region where the government has issued a stay in place order for at least until May 1.
    • My business is considered "essential" so we're still open but taking precautions. It shocked me to watch a co-worker exit a restroom without washing his hands.
    • With schools closed, kids are running loose. I drove by a group of teens walking along the road, engaged in PDA that assured me these were not siblings from the same household.
    • I overheard a telephone call where a grandmother was trying to make Easter dinner plans with her children...hoping that they would come to her.

There are plenty of people that have still not comprehended the message.

The cliche image of the coronavirus virion, even if a mostly accurate illustration, is meaningless to the average person. People will never see one coming at them like a rhinoceros.

People don't need to know what the virion looks like*. They need to know the consequences. A skeleton, a forklift loading bodies into a refrigerated truck, health workers wrapped in plastic PPE, individuals in medically-induced comas with tubes down their throats...these are all valuable images to convey this threat.

EDIT: * the molecular renders are still good. Just defending the greater usefulness of the skeleton image, even if visually unrealistic.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 04-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thanks raymondtrace, as I think about it more I think that "hard hitting" effectiveness of an image was what I was going for. At my job, at the time over half the work group was still business as usual and it was making me angry inside. I can't really go stick it on the timeclock to bombard them as you say but I think somewhere in my mind that's what I wanted to do. Amazingly yesterday we were 100% masked up. There's hope.

About the accuracy so many things I do in LW are experiments or challenges just to see if I can figure out how to get what's in my head into a visual medium. I think "what if" then I go back through tutorials or search new ones and give it a go. Love the brain challenge and I get close.

I should have mentioned thanks to Antti Jarvela for the Building Earth tutorial. I've got a little Moon clip coming up using the same technique. Will post soon.

Thanks again for all the input everyone and pauland hang in there. I actually tear up everyday over some horrible story then I shake it off and head on.

https://jamesballardart.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks raymondtrace, as I think about it more I think that "hard hitting" effectiveness of an image was what I was going for. At my job, at the time over half the work group was still business as usual and it was making me angry inside. I can't really go stick it on the timeclock to bombard them as you say but I think somewhere in my mind that's what I wanted to do. Amazingly yesterday we were 100% masked up. There's hope.

About the accuracy so many things I do in LW are experiments or challenges just to see if I can figure out how to get what's in my head into a visual medium. I think "what if" then I go back through tutorials or search new ones and give it a go. Love the brain challenge and I get close.

I should have mentioned thanks to Antti Jarvela for the Building Earth tutorial. I've got a little Moon clip coming up using the same technique. Will post soon.

Thanks again for all the input everyone and pauland hang in there. I actually tear up everyday over some horrible story then I shake it off and head on.

https://jamesballardart.com/