Thread: Octane Best Practices

Octane Best Practices

Hi,

I bit the bullet and switched to Octane. Been giving me a lot of headache with drivers & hardware configs. Seems a little crash happy. Eventually I have it working with a 1080 Titan and an RTX 2080 ti.

I found that it is absolutely essential to have a separate gfx card to handle open gl and display, set in the nvidia drivers or it is (in my experience) unusable due to laggy selections and node editor issues (gfx cards must be able to use the same driver) Needs a fast cpu to get gpu loaded. Plenty of ram, I''d recommend 64gb min.

Does anyone have any tips for usage? Maybe I had a bad setup experience

Speed wise, no comparison. Like the old Fprime days.

I have to say though, there is a real issue in Lightwave with workflow and speed regarding texture assignment and materials/texture management. I hope addressed in 2020.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-03-2020 at 07:02 AM.

In the main Octane scene settings, set the Kernal max samples to 250 or lower, and use Adaptive Sampling, with minimum 80 samples. Your GPUs will burn through that, so make it far more interactive.

Then when you need to do final renders, crank up the sample settings.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

ok thanks, been finding LW 2019/octane 2019.1.05 to be unbelievably flakey in terms of stability. Is this normal?

which kernel are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I have to say though, there is a real issue in Lightwave with workflow and speed regarding texture assignment and materials/texture management. I hope addressed in 2020.
    Yeah building materials is a pain. If you are heavy into animation and need thousands of frames in a short amount of time I think it's the way to go. For product shots or archviz stills I'd stick with LW PBR as setting up materials is way faster and more flexible.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I have found setting one gfx card to open gl only in the nvidia control panel helps a lot. you can do it system wide or just for lightwave.

this makes things as responsive as expected. Can leave both gpus to have cuda cores utilised. Seems to make octane a lot more stable as well, for me at least.

for colours, I am using lightwave with colour correction off (all linear) apart from display colour space, which is set to srgb.
    This means colours in surface editor chips show the same as in the octane renderer.

I have set the preference to display the node editor when picking surfaces in octane ipr to off, that also helps.

One other thing I have found is that using master plugins like ef item focus cause a problem with the octane ipr as the ipr master plugin gets applied and removed, that seems to make things lock up. this is unfortunate as ef item focus is invaluable to isolate objects . I have tried the od tools version but its not as good or fast.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 04-04-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah building materials is a pain. If you are heavy into animation and need thousands of frames in a short amount of time I think it's the way to go. For product shots or archviz stills I'd stick with LW PBR as setting up materials is way faster and more flexible.
    Faster in what way ? I find that i need less octane nodes than i'd need LW nodes for same/similar result so not sure what you mean by that, Let alone problems with LW Principled material + Substance materials/maps which requires hoops and loops to look same in LW as in substance while in octane i just plug in 5-6 maps into universal material and that's it looks same as in substance painter.

as for OP question:

Go to your GPU settings in octane and set display GPU at low priority for IPR and then it wont' hog display GPU so much. I used with 2, 3, 4, and 5 GPUs but i always use low priority for display GPU just so windows is more snappy (not just LW but all windows GUI )
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Faster in what way ? I find that i need less octane nodes than i'd need LW nodes for same/similar result so not sure what you mean by that, Let alone problems with LW Principled material + Substance materials/maps which requires hoops and loops to look same in LW as in substance while in octane i just plug in 5-6 maps into universal material and that's it looks same as in substance painter.
    Well we don't use Substance so that could be it. We build most of our materials in LW using the various image and procedural nodes and Octane just doesn't have the repertoire that base LW has. Both renderers offer their own advantages/disadvantages and glad we have them both. But NT does need to address ease/or lack thereof use features in surfacing for sure. One of the biggest annoyances is the long list of image names when selecting an image from a popup - why not thumbnails? Simple stuff like that would go a long way.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

you can use LW procedurals in Octane, Octane image node has "procedural" input, it bake sit on the fly at 1-8k resolution so it can be used. One of perks what Juan did for LW Octane integration
    RAM-Studio

In a newer version?
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    In a newer version?
    Can't remember does it work in v 3.x but since update from 3 to v4 is free for all i checked back in v 4.05 and it's working there also so it's been that way for long time.

Here is screen-grab of LW crumple attached to single polygon/plane .

P.S. you can't do this in LW native - no micropoly displacements means you'd have to subdivide/subpatch that plane in OGL hell of a lot to even try that and you'd probably still see segments due need to subpatch level 100 or so .
    In octane works on single polygon/plane since it's displacing on rendertime.

http://prntscr.com/rtvxqr
    Last edited by Lewis; 04-06-2020 at 01:59 AM.
    RAM-Studio