Thread: Creating Normal Maps - Does UV Map Type Matter?

Creating Normal Maps - Does UV Map Type Matter?

I was excited to see that Lightwave 2019 now supports the creation of Normal Maps, but I was having trouble finding tutorials covering doing this in Lightwave 2019

The docs do have an example for the Surface Baking camera which seems to cover it:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...-baking-camera

The page linked above tells you to create the needed UV map for your low polygon object using the ABF Unwrap function.

My question - when you create a Normal Map in Lightwave does the way you create this UV map, or the type of UV map you create affect the quality of the Normal map you are trying create?

I had at first tried using Make UV tool with Planar, and Cylindrical types, and was not successfully able to create a Normal Map in layout using the UV map created with those methods.

Any tips on creating Normal Maps in Lightwave 2019 would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ac3dny View Post
    My question - when you create a Normal Map in Lightwave does the way you create this UV map, or the type of UV map you create affect the quality of the Normal map you are trying create?

I had at first tried using Make UV tool with Planar, and Cylindrical types, and was not successfully able to create a Normal Map in layout using the UV map created with those methods.
    Hi,
    yes the way you create your UV map does matter.
    First - you need a map that has a unique space for every single polygon (two or more polygons should not use the same space in the UV map - the should not overlap). "Atlas" does this. E. g. "Planar" and "Cylindrical" does not pay attention to this and you have to look out it for yourself.
    Second - No polygon should be strongly stretched (this applies generally to any UV map).

The UV view in Modeler can show overlaping and streching.

Try "Atlas" mapping for texture baking as a fast methode (since you do not have to paint your texture manually you do not need a well laid map). For more contol of the layout use the ABF Unwrap function.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

TrueArt Support
    UV Map tells how to convert (project) 3d coordinate space to 2d coordinate space of image.

If you have simple quad polygon, you can use Make UV with projection Planar. You won't lose quality.
    But if you have e.g. spherical object, and you will use Planar projection, distortions and overlaps will happen.

So, what route take depends on kind of object that you want to bake.

Any tips on creating Normal Maps in Lightwave 2019 would be appreciated.
    Try Unwrap tool to create UV Map.

The docs do have an example for the Surface Baking camera which seems to cover it:
    When you will master manual surface baking you can try mine Batch Baking Camera plugin to process dozen (or hundred) of objects in batch process:
    http://batchbakingcamera.trueart.eu

It has also better quality of bake than Surface Baking Camera. See video here:
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-01-2020 at 06:36 AM.