Thread: Scan Converter using a lot of CPU resources

Scan Converter using a lot of CPU resources

I am getting about 22-30% CPU usage from Scan Converter on my PC. What can I do to drop the resource requirement? It also has the same level even if I use region capture. I thought this was supposed to only use ~6%.

PC stats:

i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz
    GTX 1070
    3 - 1080p monitors
    1 - 1080p webcam
    1GbE NIC

I'm capturing at 60fps. Also, is there some way to make it only capture from one monitor? ROI doesn't capture the whole screen.

Note: On one of my older computers, which has an i5-2400, it uses 30-40% CPU.
    Last edited by 4xStreamer; 03-30-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4xStreamer View Post
    I am getting about 22-30% CPU usage from Scan Converter on my PC. What can I do to drop the resource requirement? It also has the same level even if I use region capture. I thought this was supposed to only use ~6%.

PC stats:

i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz
    GTX 1070
    3 - 1080p monitors
    1 - 1080p webcam
    1GbE NIC

I'm capturing at 60fps. Also, is there some way to make it only capture from one monitor? ROI doesn't capture the whole screen.

Note: On one of my older computers, which has an i5-2400, it uses 30-40% CPU.
    Have you updated to the most recent version of NDI? 4.5 was just released and should alleviate some of those issues.

Versions of NDI Scan Converter 3.5 and later all use the GPGPU processing which have low CPU usage. I'm looking at a system right now sending [email protected] from a system and the CPU is from 1.7% up to 2.3%.

Is 'Use Monitor Refresh' rate selected in NDI Scan Converter? And if so, are you running displays at a high refresh rate (greater then like 120/144Hz)? My understanding is that more CPU will be used in that case.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.