Thread: Clear explanation of the 4x4x4 audio routing?

Clear explanation of the 4x4x4 audio routing?

I've searched all the forums and documentation however I haven't yet found a clear explanation breakdown of how to use the 4x4x4 audio routing in the Mini.

Does anyone know of a detailed video or documentation which makes it clear how best to use it and what the grid represents?

I've been an audio engineer in the past, but for some reason I appear to have a blind spot with the way it is described in the manuals.

I feel stupid asking, but no one appears to understand it either or there would be more videos.

Ive just seen Kane’s latest video re VOIP software and that should help, however Im still looking for a graphic breakdown of the matrix explanation.

Perhaps what's throwing you off is that it's easier to think of matrix routers at output. Consider that the sum total of all Mixer sources as configured in each routing tab of every input creates one of the 4 output mixes. If you bring in a bunch of stereo pairs, all of them will be sent to Master and AUX 1-3 unless you reroute them individually. So creating a mix minus for Input 1 on Input 1 just requires you to remove Input 1's contribution to to Aux 1 using Input 1;s routing panel.

Of course you can do a lot more than that if you get creative. Maybe describe the outcome you want to achieve?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes it is a mix minus I am trying to achieve for Skype for Creators. Something I can do in a hardware mixer without thinking twice about it.

What is throwing me off is the lack of clarity regarding what each 1,2,3,4 refers to on the Input and Output?

Regarding Inputs. On the Mini audio mixer I have the audio ins for each of the 8 Channels, plus the 2 x DDRs, SFX and the line and lic ins. In each routing section for each input I can see the same 4 x 4 matrix.
    In this case what does each IN 1,2,3,4 on each individual panel refer to?

On a video IN channel we have Left and Right, so that is 2 channels - do I presume this refers to channels 1 and 2 IN? If so what does 3 and 4 IN represent?

The Mini Outputs are physical Left and Right and I can see Aux 1,2,3 and Master in the mixer. However there's no indication which OUT 1,2,3,4 connects to the physical jacks.

When I look at Virtual Input on another machine it sees the Mini and Ins 1-4 and Mix 1-4. I assume this is linked somehow to the Matrix, however there is no way to know which of these 8 correspond to the layout in the Matrix I see on each channel on the screen.

So yes I am rather thrown but the logic of it. I consider myself not particularly stupid when it comes to logic as the rest of the Mini seems fairly straight forward, but this audio does have me very bemused.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Podcast Bob View Post
    On a video IN channel we have Left and Right, so that is 2 channels - do I presume this refers to channels 1 and 2 IN? If so what does 3 and 4 IN represent?
    If you supply a source with four discreet channel, as you'd no doubt expect, "In 3" and "In 4" refer to the last two input channels from that source. Of course, if you are supplying a stero source, they will be unused.

The Mini Outputs are physical Left and Right and I can see Aux 1,2,3 and Master in the mixer. However there's no indication which OUT 1,2,3,4 connects to the physical jacks.
    None of the physical outputs on a Mini can carry channels 3 and 4. Well, to be honest, I'm not sure whether the HDMI outputs can or not; they might. And of course NDI can carry all four, and depending on your software details, a "Supplemental Audio Output" (such as Dante) might ... assuming you route something to them.

When I look at Virtual Input on another machine it sees the Mini and Ins 1-4 and Mix 1-4. I assume this is linked somehow to the Matrix, however there is no way to know which of these 8 correspond to the layout in the Matrix I see on each channel on the screen.
    Mini will sent downstream NDI devices a) your raw Mini audio inputs, pre-routing, or b) whichever audio mix (Master, or Aux 1-4) you assign to you video Mixes 1-4. That's it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve.

Kanes latest video has helped a lot explaining the dark mysteries of the Matrix and how it effects the Master which then in turn effects what Virtual Input is receiving.

A detailed video of the logic of all this would be greatly appreciated.

Just to note it, VI can be pointed at something other than (video) Mix 1, which typically includes the Master audio mix - although it can be configured differently.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I'm working on a detailed training video that covers how audio routing in the TriCaster operates.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.