Thread: Ndi 4.5

Ndi 4.5

NDI Tools 4.5 has been released for Windows and Macintosh. Updated NDI Analysis and SDK, the Unreal Engine NDI SDK is now available.

Here is a (very) partial list of improvements from the SDK docs. This release is under the hood improvements, NDI Tools operate as they did before.

* Significant improvement to UDP sender that should dramatically improve the performance on many systems and networks. This should reduce the CPU time, and also get far better network efficiency.

* At 1080p60 the number of channels of decoding possible on Windows should increase when you have a larger number of cores available.

* Lower latency in all forms of HX decoding. This is at least 2 frames better in almost all cases and in many it will be better than that.

* Vastly improved startup discovery performance on Windows.

* Quite a large improvement to codec quality.

* Fix for problem with right clicking when using Scan Converter and KVM.

* NDI now uses predictable port numbers in all cases so that fire-wall rules can be properly built.
    - Each connection uses TCP ports 5960 and up.
    - Each mTCP or UDP receiver use port 6960 and up.
    - Each mTCP or UDP sender use port 7960 and up.

http://ndi.tv
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you. I am running a TC8000 with AE2. Should I upgrade to NDI 4.5 and/or will I see some benefits, or should I stay with 3.8 as I thought 4 and above where for AE3? I'm just a little confused about the updates. Thank you and stay safe.

NDI is backwards compatible. While AE2 is using NDI 3.8 level software, it will communicate with higher versions of NDI.

I'd recommend upgrading other systems to NDI Tools 4.x when you are ready. While it might not make direct differences between the TriCaster and NDI Tools, it can help between other systems that are upgraded.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Hmmm... I updated from NDI 4.0 and am missing scan converter.
    I thought it was included in this package (as usual).

Do I need to reinstall?
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    Hmmm... I updated from NDI 4.0 and am missing scan converter.
    I thought it was included in this package (as usual).

Do I need to reinstall?
    I just installed on a different PC and Scan Converter is there.
    I tried re-installing on the Win8 laptop (i7 w/ direct X 11) and scan converter is missing.

edit: tried installing past versions of NDI tools. Had to go back to whatever version was downloadable in November 2017 before scan converter reappeared on the laptop after install. From 3.5 and newer, scan converter doesn't install.

Any ideas why it refuses to install newer versions?
    Last edited by Red Dog Records; 04-01-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    I just installed on a different PC and Scan Converter is there.
    I tried re-installing on the Win8 laptop (i7 w/ direct X 11) and scan converter is missing.

edit: tried installing past versions of NDI tools. Had to go back to whatever version was downloadable in November 2017 before scan converter reappeared on the laptop after install. From 3.5 and newer, scan converter doesn't install.

Any ideas why it refuses to install newer versions?
    Scan Converter I thought only works on Windows 10 now in recent versions of NDI ? I had to upgrade all my Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 to get Scan Converter back.

IMHO: Using Windows 7 or Windows 8 for anything now is a bad idea. Windows 7 reached EOL in Jan from Microsoft. It would be totally reasonable for Newtek to not support old operating systems with NDI anymore....as painful as that might be for some.

Newbie Member
    vMix Desktop Capture (Free) can help you with that on Win 7
    https://www.vmix.com/software/downlo...desktopcapture

Thanks for posting this, Kane.

Can I suggest that this thread is stickied and updated when there's a new release? That way the forum's "subscription" stuff can be used to notify by email when a new release is available.

are there any updated technical documents availabe (brief, troubleshooting, network)? the docs on ndi.tv & newtek.com are outdated (2016).

Hmm just downloaded the "latest versions". Whilst the Windows .exe certainly has a different checksum suggesting a newer version, the OSX .dmg files have the same checksum as the ones I downloaded 13th May.

OK I think I already had 4.5, but confusingly the files were named as 4, not sure why the win exe was different though.

I'm using the Mac Scan converter on an older Mac Mini running OsX Capitan. It converts the editing window to an NDI stream and the Presenters view to NDI stream, but I can't get the Slideshow into NDI. Any ideas? Just downloaded the Tools on Monday so I'm guessing its the latest version. Also getting a split screen NDI showing half of the Keynote editing screen and half the presenters view???

Scan Converter Issues

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    NDI Tools 4.5 has been released for Windows and Macintosh. Updated NDI Analysis and SDK, the Unreal Engine NDI SDK is now available.

Here is a (very) partial list of improvements from the SDK docs. This release is under the hood improvements, NDI Tools operate as they did before.

* Significant improvement to UDP sender that should dramatically improve the performance on many systems and networks. This should reduce the CPU time, and also get far better network efficiency.

* At 1080p60 the number of channels of decoding possible on Windows should increase when you have a larger number of cores available.

* Lower latency in all forms of HX decoding. This is at least 2 frames better in almost all cases and in many it will be better than that.

* Vastly improved startup discovery performance on Windows.

* Quite a large improvement to codec quality.

* Fix for problem with right clicking when using Scan Converter and KVM.

* NDI now uses predictable port numbers in all cases so that fire-wall rules can be properly built.
    - Each connection uses TCP ports 5960 and up.
    - Each mTCP or UDP receiver use port 6960 and up.
    - Each mTCP or UDP sender use port 7960 and up.

http://ndi.tv
    We've been noticing issues with Scan Converter. Specifically sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We're using NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 Max Q GPUs. Is there a driver issue that we're unaware of?

Is there a way to confirm what version of NDI is running on Mac and Windows? The NDI Monitor at least on Mac doesn't show it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jgc View Post
    Is there a way to confirm what version of NDI is running on Mac and Windows? The NDI Monitor at least on Mac doesn't show it.
    Thanks.
    On Windows, each application that uses NDI may have a different version of the DLLs installed. (Application code can read the version and display it if necessary)

To see the version installed with the NDI tools on Windows, find the DLLs installed here. C:\Program Files\NewTek\NDI 4 Tools\Runtime

Look at the file properties of Processing.NDI.lib.x86.dll with Explorer and view the details tab. You'll see the version and build date shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-04 112021.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	148277