Thread: Newtek Spark disappointing results :(

Newtek Spark disappointing results :(

Hi folks

So I have my HDMI Spark out of storage and installed the latest firmware as instructed.

Plugged it into my router and the Gigabit light dropped to 100meg. Hmmm?

After doing all the reboot etc, I plugged in my HDMI Canon and although it is outputting 1080P in PAL world into the Spark the NDI Studio Monitor tells me it is seeing 576/25P.

The 16:9 image is scrunched down to 4:3 format and the image is very soft and low res.

So although Newtek NDI Monitor is showing a 4:3 image, when I view Sienna Studio Monitor it is seeing a 16:9 image?

Although I open the Connect software, everything seem to be set to auto-detect and again the image on there is 4:3.

Can anyone put me right on this as I have been looking forward to all the advantages the Spark should offer in production and currently I am rather disappointed with the image and the tech.

Hopefully I am doing something wrong. I checked my network and the same Ethernet socket is still registered 1 Gigabit when I plug in a PC.

All help appreciated.

The older spark was NDI-HX if I recall and that would use less than 100mbit so Im guessing it was not on a gigbit port ( that is how it could work over wifi etc). If you go into settings on the spark can you manually configure the video to match the output of your cameras HDMI?

Thank you so much for your input.

I guess it is an older model as I've had it stored for over a year.

I've logged into the settings and can't see where I can alter any video information?

Only video bandwidth low, medium high. The image is still stuck at 4:3

Spark HDMI and SDI units are 100Mbit interface, that is completely normal.

As for the 4x3 that is is an HDMI thing between the Spark and Camera. The Spark says that it prefers a progressive signal, the Canon (I bet you are using a VIXIA model) only supports progressive with SD resolutions. In HD, the VIXIA only supports interlace output. Since the Canon doesn't allow you to override (you will see that that setting is no longer editable in the camera), you are stuck.

My JVC broadcast camera allows me to choose what I want and has no issues with the Spark. The Canon is a simpler consumer level camera and just goes into automatic mode and you get what it does.
    Last edited by kanep; 03-25-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Spark HDMI and SDI units are 100Mbit interface, that is completely normal.

As for the 4x3 that is is an HDMI thing between the Spark and Camera. The Spark says that it prefers a progressive signal, the Canon (I bet you are using a VIXIA model) only supports progressive with SD resolutions. In HD, the VIXIA only supports interlace output. Since the Canon doesn't allow you to override (you will see that that setting is no longer editable in the camera), you are stuck.

My JVC broadcast camera allows me to choose what I want and has no issues with the Spark. The Canon is a simpler consumer level camera and just goes into automatic mode and you get what it does.
    Has anyone ever told you Kane that you are a LOVELY man?

You have made my day and for the years I have been using Canon cameras (Yup Vixea range) I never knew that the SD output was an issue, as I had been plugging them directly into the Mini with great results, so thanks for that.

This morning I punched in my JVC cameras instead and everything got a whole lot brighter and the quality more what I was hoping for.

There is still a noticeable few frames delay though for lip sync. Can that be improved I wonder?

Awesome news indeed and I can now justify a long Cat6 cable for outdoor shoots using the Spark.

Brilliant, thanks once again and stay safe.