Thread: Dimensions in LWCad

Dimensions in LWCad

Posted this on the LWCad forum but thought I'd do so here as well.

In LWCad, there's a Dimension tool that works great. Unfortunately, I'm discovering that the arrows & numbers exist only in Modeler's wire-frame view ports.

My question then, is there a means to convert those items into renderable geometry? I'm wanting to include those when the model is viewed in something like SketchFab.

Be a slick tool for Viktor to add.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

If I had more time, I would use it more for some CAD stuff, itīs fun to use..some initial training curve, if you want to work with it ..but not too steep at all.
    For pdf making and importing you do not need really need to learn it... you just need to know how to browse and just load the file in, itīs not import, but load the obj, then just go and click on the export options icon, and save as 3dpdf, thatīs it.

Allmost everything in there is parametrical, in case you may need to do pipes or mechanical structures, and go in and adress fillets, bends at a later stage, exports to obj so you can send it back, but it will be triangulated and needs mesh cleaning in that case.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nsparks++pipes

I looked at the web site & product just seemed way overkill. All I really need is an easy & reasonable price tool to create a 3dPDF. Haven't found anything yet that fits (other than a $1000 one), and I refuse to suck Adobes subscription teat. Seems silly in this day & age for a simple conversion.

But that doesn't address the other issue of simply getting the dims to show up anywhere other than in Modeler. I always assumed they were renderable geometry but they aren't. The arrows are poly lines but the numbers are virtual. Some clever magic of Vikor's I guess.

For this project, giving them something they can rotate & look at for the model, plus some stills showing the dims will have to do for now. I have SketchFab, it's easy & works, & this is a good excuse to use it.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I looked at the web site & product just seemed way overkill. All I really need is an easy & reasonable price tool to create a 3dPDF. Haven't found anything yet that fits (other than a $1000 one), and I refuse to suck Adobes subscription teat. Seems silly in this day & age for a simple conversion.

But that doesn't address the other issue of simply getting the dims to show up anywhere other than in Modeler. I always assumed they were renderable geometry but they aren't. The arrows are poly lines but the numbers are virtual. Some clever magic of Vikor's I guess.

For this project, giving them something they can rotate & look at for the model, plus some stills showing the dims will have to do for now. I have SketchFab, it's easy & works, & this is a good excuse to use it.
    Opps ...posted that about designsparks and pdf on the wrong thread....and as you know, designsparks mechanical is free..it costs you no thing to install and make a 3d pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Opps ...posted that about designsparks and pdf on the wrong thread....and as you know, designsparks mechanical is free..it costs you no thing to install and make a 3d pdf.
    Which version? You have a specific link? I was lost on their site frankly.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Which version? You have a specific link? I was lost on their site frankly.
    I donīt have the latest version, donīt think the latest is installed for me, will probably re-install an update..but here it is, and you probably want the 64 bit version.
    https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...d-installation

We used it a little bit for creating a fitting adapter when rigging flowmeters we tested at my last job, but it was just a rough sketch and sent as pdf and images ..from then a welding and cnc company made the pieces manually.
    I had to learn our engineer to draw and work with it, then he just took over and made it according to their measurements, so a slight intro for him..and he was ok to go, I suggested and we tried freeCad initially, but he wasnīt comfortable with that...to messy and too much to learn..even though free-cad may be more powerful in many other areas, itīs not as slick and easy to do fillets, but more full control.

Our adapter piece...

Thanks. Didn't even look at that tab before. Will give it a peek tomorrow then.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Frequenter
    Posted this on the LWCad forum but thought I'd do so here as well.

In LWCad, there's a Dimension tool that works great. Unfortunately, I'm discovering that the arrows & numbers exist only in Modeler's wire-frame view ports.

My question then, is there a means to convert those items into renderable geometry? I'm wanting to include those when the model is viewed in something like SketchFab.

Be a slick tool for Viktor to add.
    Just to get the - slightly de-railed ;-] - thread back on track: I really would love to have such a feature in LWcad. I often had to transfer the diemsions into print-outs. Would make it so easy to have it as actual, renderable geometry...

Glad to know I'm not the only one then in that regard. I'll try to post over on the LWCad forum as well. Maybe someone has a technique.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Glad to know I'm not the only one then in that regard. I'll try to post over on the LWCad forum as well. Maybe someone has a technique.
    The fact you can not have decent renderable dimensions in lw cad, wich also seamingless updates to any dimension change, was a contributing factor of never purchasing it as well.
    Sketchup has great ones, but that has so much other things you may not wanīt to adapt to, besides..you would have to get the pro versions I think to get the full style builder where you prepare the views..properly.

A little small and very simple sketchup project ..many years ago that I worked on for a small building company, which needed some simple quick drawings with dimensions..of some external outer extensions to a buildning(not seen here)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perspektiv höger 1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	147150

Heard back from my friend this morning & the screen captures I did within Modeler worked perfect for what he was after.

Then again, as I often end up doing, I went from this:

Name:	NuJeffSketch.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	147151

to this, and of course adding in something for a scaling reference:

Name:	QuadView.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	147152

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Heard back from my friend this morning & the screen captures I did within Modeler worked perfect for what he was after.

Then again, as I often end up doing, I went from this:

Name:	NuJeffSketch.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	147151

to this, and of course adding in something for a scaling reference:

Name:	QuadView.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	147152
    Whatever works

A tip though, what you could have done..a little more work but not much and would have given a better presentation I think,
    Take printscreens seperatly for the human reference in flatshade, texture or textured wire..so to avoid a black wiremess, and change background color to something green, paste in to photoshop or krita, take another snapshot with the
    pipe, paste in to your image editor, it would then be easy to matte block the green background and you would have two images to fade back and forth as needed for a better presentation.

For the image of the flange fitting adapter parts, I used krita to retouch cut out and fixing the images...we decided to not use any expensive prenumeration software, krita was just fine for most of the retouch I did after taking photos, the only license we had was for indesign, an older cs3 version, I used that to create folders of the products we had.