Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does messiah:studio make any sense today?

Does messiah:studio make any sense today?

Hi,
    just using the spare time due to corona to really clean up all my hard drives, and there I found a copy of messiah:studio and the key for it.
    I know what it was for, but does it make any sense today with genoma and other rigging tools?
    Anybody wants it? Did anybody use it lately?
    Just curious.
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600x, GTX 980 ti, 64 GB, LW 2018

There is a FB page with a little userbase who still think very well of Messiah, not dissimilar to Carrara users, but the problem now is that getting hold of the software is like getting blood out of a stone. Despite the site still being active, legend has it that your money will vanish into the abyss without further action, and it would take a modern day King Arthur to risk hitting that Buy button...
    Last edited by TheLexx; 03-24-2020 at 02:58 PM.

nah, abandonware
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...tudio-6-on-MAC

go the IKB route instead, and buy RR Tools.

or go with RHiggit.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Blog Entries
    I wish i could start my version of Messiah:studio. but the usb key no longer works and no one at PMG:M seems to be working on this for around 3 years
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Hmmm. Still have mine too. Something to check out I guess.

I mean, it's not like I don't have a bit of semi-extra time on my hands these days.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

It's a shame, messiah probably should have just remained an animation plugin. Its rigs are still faster than most rigs out there. And there still appears to be a market for stand-alone animation programs.
    Akeytsu:https://www.nukeygara.com (seems to be geared mainly for the gaming market).
    And Rumba by the makers of Guerrilla Renderer: https://rumba-animation.com
    Gary Chike

For a $65 animation system on Windows (not Mac) with content that you can transfer into other 3D apps, it can still make sense.

The last that I heard, you can still get a license. Get a subscription and then cancel after you're licensed. The subscription is no different than the "full" version. There's no apparent programmed method in the software to timebomb if you stop paying the subscription. If you pay and they fail to offer a license, you can still get a refund through paypal.

Those that have existing licenses should back up your licensing data. There should be no expectation that the projectmessiah site will remain to reissue licenses for upgraded systems. The licensing is tied to the volume ID of your hard drive...so make sure you record that. When you upgrade the hard drive, you can reset the volume ID to the previous hard drive's ID.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Here is my tip. You can get this freeware tool: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det..._ram_disk.html that makes ram disks. (FYI the latest versions of the ramdisk software are shareware from v4.0 and above). Then make a tiny ramdisk like R: format it then register it there then save out that image to a disk. Alternately if you already own messiah, make a note of the volume ID of the drive it's registered to then make a new ramdisk format it with that volume ID then just copy that license file to the root of the drive, then save that ramdisk to a HDD. Now anytime you want to run messiah, you just fire up the ramdisk software load the image/enable it, then fire up messiah. I have my copy set up this way with a 64mb ramdisk and my original 1GB USB stick is just collecting dust somewhere. It worked fine last time I ran it. The only real downside is that it eats a little bit of extra memory, but as long as you have the ramdisk software and a backup copy of the saved image file of the ramdisk, you won't lose the messiah license.

These links might take a few seconds to load, but take a look at the Joe Cosman demo of Messiah from around 2004.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20040604...imCDteaser.wmv

He used to do a great set of training dvds but they are as rare as rocking-horse-dung today.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050415...m/messiahtuts/

Joe seems to have moved on, evidenced by pulling every Messiah video from Gumroad and emptying every freebee from Youtube, so if anyone has a complete set to lend I'd certainly like to watch them properly....

Ha, made me look!

When they were breaking down, seemingly about to close shop, someone suggested putting them on usb memory sticks. When MS5 was real cheap, I bought a few and put them on the usb memory sticks.
    Just checked and they work. Now to look at this hd id notion and see how I can further preserve them. lol

Lots of useful time on my hands, yes.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Oh, so if I know the volume ID of my USB memory stick (is it "thumbdrive" in english?), I could give my key to someone else, if they had more use for messiah? Not that I want to make money from it, but maybe someone else really would use it and not just store it on a harddrive like I do?
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600x, GTX 980 ti, 64 GB, LW 2018

Curious..... if Messiah is no longer available or supported, is it illegal to distribute it? How does this work in the software world?
    22Apr2020: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v445.87 (20Apr20)

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Curious..... if Messiah is no longer available or supported, is it illegal to distribute it? How does this work in the software world?
    It's a grey area. Messiah is now (I assume) abandonware, and while it is still copyrighted, it is safe to say that the original developers no longer track its copyright, nor do they seem interested in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

My understanding is that Messiah Studio is owned by Fori Owurowa, and although it was very inexplicable to users that a Messiah 7 never launched, the fact is that it is not permissable to openly distribute the software, regardless of if Fori is able to personally get you or not.

From memory, there was a Messiah promotion promising a wonderful future...which never materialised. Reading between the lines, it was a business gamble on some sort of new screen technology venture which never came to fruition. It may the case they actually want to release a Messiah 7 but have been left financially crippled, nor have the administration to deal with any unhappy user queries on any unfullfilled existing orders. But Messiah still belonngs to them whatever.

Example - Vizrt could choose simply not to release LW2020, or Foundry could simply withdraw Modo 14 if they choose, but those companies would still own their product.. I know stuff happens under the hood and people do swap things, but a piracy culture shouldn't be openly encouraged.

The discussion of backing up licensing had nothing to do with piracy. The direction of this discussion is the exact reason why developers move to subscriptions. As content creators, we could probably be more informed about copyright.

There is no gray area: Piracy is illegal. There's no point in discussing this as abandonware, especially when the software can apparently still be purchased.

There may be some mixed stories about the direction of Messiah. The 3D screen technology was discovered from a patent application and it likely had nothing to do with Messiah. Fori also had a patent application for something to do with toilet paper. There was once a message sent from pmG about a possible business alliance but that apparently never materialized.

Fori, like NewTek, was famously non-communicative. That doesn't mean that they've closed up the shop (but there is sufficient evidence that we shouldn't expect a version 7). The main fault of Messiah was the dependence of setuptab.com to provide community support and training. That site fell apart because of some conflict between Fori/Wegg and some personal issues/distractions. The software is still there but you'll need a bit of luck to find training material.

I believe Joe dropped from the scene when Disney cut its game development divisions, where he was employed.

This medium requires people to dedicate a lot of their life. It is a precarious balance of work and personal life. It would be nice if people who experience personal challenges don't burn everything down as they run out the door. We've seen a lot of that in the LW world too.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast