Thread: Can't Get NDI Studio Monitor to record a feed with alpha channel

Can't Get NDI Studio Monitor to record a feed with alpha channel

I'm struggling with studio monitor this morning with Studio Monitor and IsoCorder. I have titles coming in from ProPresenter with an alpha channel. I can get it to display properly within Studio Monitor with the checkerboard background confirming that the alpha channel is working, but all recordings just have a black background. I can't find a way to get the iso feed from the titles recorded with alpha channel. Any obvious settings I'm missing? Is there a better NDI recording software out there?

I don't think Studio Monitor will capture a 32bit file. IsoRecorder might, not sure ...

What is your intention in this workflow? Is it just to transcode the PP output for use in an NLE, or some other application?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I just tried capture the output of LiveText via NDI Studio Monitor. The codec was SHQ7, which is 32-bit. TriCaster would see the alpha in a DDR, so I know it is there, however a lot of other software I tried would not respect the alpha.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't think Studio Monitor will capture a 32bit file. IsoRecorder might, not sure ...

What is your intention in this workflow? Is it just to transcode the PP output for use in an NLE, or some other application?
    Yep. You got it. Is was to save some time buy transcoding it for an NLE. We're streaming a worship service tomorrow and we prerecorded our band playing some of the worship music. I had my ProPresenter operator following along with the lyrics. I was expecting to record this output with alpha and just lay it on top of the multicam edit and not have to bother a whole lot with timing out individual titles. That didn't work out. But fortunately, I ended up having some time to import the titles as PNGs and line them up manually in the NLE, but moving forward, I'm hoping to keep my workflow moving quickly as I'm spending a lot of time setting up and moving equipment as our production is spread out between several spaces. I need the edit to be the easiest part. We have 6 cameras coming in to isocorder over NDI and that's been tremendously helpful for the workflow.

I've put in a alpha channel feature request for the Adobe plug-in. For other NLE, it will be up to the manufacture to add support.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.