Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affinity products have a 50% off sale on now

Thanks. I wish the website designers would not bury this sort of thing; people are trying to work (from home)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the heads-up....
    I got photo a couple years ago in Black Friday 50% sale on Mac App Store.
    For me it does everything Photoshop does but I only have to pay once.....

Will definitely get designer at this price again.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

LW Watcher
    ..now if only the LW upgrade was 50% off..

$25 each in the USA. Might have to get this.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Not to brag as an American... $25 USD each, no VAT.

The Affinity line is a great example of how software developers can still compete against Adobe's subscription model. The market can contend with Photoshop. I'd buy Digi-Paint if NewTek brought it back.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 03-20-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Not to brag as an American... $25 USD each, no VAT.
    With the way the exchange rate has been going over the last few days, there isn't that much difference between £23.99 and $25 Fortunately, the £23.99 includes VAT as I just found out when I bought a copy of Affinity Photo
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Even with the VAT, it is still a fantastic bargain.
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

£70 for all three is a steal.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Even with the VAT, it is still a fantastic bargain.
    Agreed, but I have to concede that I have already found a small drawback with Photo: I can't scan images directly into it from my Epson scanner like I can with PS. I have to use the Epson utility, save the image to disk then load it into Photo. I am sure there will be other little niggles but....still a bargain.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Just did a search in the help.
    The acquire image option is for scanned images, however it does say windows users recommended to use scanner software

One feature that stands out to me is StudioLink between the three products. It's shown here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/live/
    And they are quite active with updates and beta's.
    22Apr2020: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v445.87 (20Apr20)

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Agreed, but I have to concede that I have already found a small drawback with Photo: I can't scan images directly into it from my Epson scanner like I can with PS. I have to use the Epson utility, save the image to disk then load it into Photo. I am sure there will be other little niggles but....still a bargain.
    Ya, that's one.

I've had Affinity Photo for awhile now. Using it more & more but I've one PhotoShop plug-in that AP won't recognize & that's SuperPNG. AP can't open png's w/o purging the bg if its 32-bit. Silly. Guess what I most often use out of LW? But, I have EXR's saved out too & AP handles those quite well.

Tried the demo of Designer a few months back and unfortunately, a very key tool I use in AI a lot is Image Trace. There was some convoluted, goofy work around but for me that was simply a no-go. I'll keep an eye out for when they finally get that included.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Yes thanks, i have seen that before, there are also several online converters, its not really for me but the wife always wants me to produce or edit PDF for her business.. I know that Affinity publisher can handle PDF as well, i'm just wondering from someone who has it if there are any problems or restrictions with it.with it
    Affinity Publisher will open a PDF as if it is a regular document, and everything is editable.

...But....

No pass-through mode, which means all the fonts in a document must be present and installed on your local system, otherwise you are out of luck.

One way to work around this problem is to use Ghostscript to render all fonts to vector. PhotoLine has built-in support via Ghostscript to place a PDF in pass-through mode. It will, just like Publisher, open a multi-page PDF and treat it like a regular document (I found it rather funny when Serif touted Publisher's PDF import when I was importing and editing PDF documents for years now into PhotoLine).

However, do not expect a nicely organized layer contents: both Publisher and PhotoLine can only work with the PDF structure, and the original document's structure is completely lost. It can get extremely messy, depending on the PDF.

Other things to watch for in Publisher's PDF import/export:
    - no support for 1bit images or placing and exporting 1bit high ppi images overlaid on top of 300ppi multi-tone images.
    - no support for interactive elements or form elements.

I use PDF Exchange Editor for these things, and it works great. Form editing is much more user-friendly than Adobe Acrobat.

PDF Exchange Editor is one of the best (if not THE best) PDF editors that I have worked with so far. Well worth the money and for general PDF editing and form building a joy to use. Far better than Adobe's Acrobat offering, in my opinion (that GUI got completely butchered in the past decade, or so).

From experience I can tell you that you do not want to edit a PDF for quick edits, deletion/rearranging of pages, etc., in either Publisher or PhotoLine. Use a dedicated PDF Editor instead. Also, a PDF Editor such as PDF Exchange Editor keeps everything intact internally, which neither Publisher or PhotoLine will be able to achieve.

For example, Publisher will destroy a PDF when it contains print elements that are not supported (such as 1bit high ppi images, or multi-channel images). (yes, you read that right: Affinity does not support multi-channel images either...)
    PDF Exchange Editor retains those elements and properties.

And I am not even mentioning securing a PDF or creating a PDF form with secure digital signatures, which are an absolute requirement in many business situations. None of which is supported in Publisher.

Anyway, to cut this short: if your business includes a lot of PDF work, get a proper PDF Editor. Neither Publisher nor PhotoLine are meant for that type of work.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Thanks very much Rayek. I took the plunge and got all three during the sale. At them moment im quite happy with my purchase. Most of the time .PDF is the wifes domain really, apart from reading them i dont really have a use for them, but the wife sometimes need them editing. I will check out Exchange Editor, might be something good for her to use and not hassle me all the time.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12