Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 304

Thread: Seriously NewTek... This is your best moment for LW2020

  1. #106
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    The LW engineering team has been working from home for many years. But releasing a product requires more than engineering. There are also the marketing, sales, support, and IT people who now find themselves in more unusual and challenging conditions.

    ---JvdL---
    I mentioned the LW team, but I didnīt exclude marketing and sales from the release party,..that was actually what I sort of ment.
    I reckon you all need to sit together anyway and go through the plans properly before a release, and as such the no meeting restrictions may pose a problem, but if set up right with meeting tools, not impossible to work out.

    Hope you and all the staff is alright? Safety first.

  2. #107
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    252
    I am still very much a student of LW and suppose I always will be. Now that I have some down time, I'm actually going to binge watch my way through all of Mark Warner's tutorials. In fact, as I was looking at them all, there's a staggering amount of information here to learn. So for me, I'm still quite fine with 2019 but will be excited to see what 2020 has in store.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJU...7s9NwyA/videos

    Quick Gears is the first one!

  3. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    I am still very much a student of LW and suppose I always will be. Now that I have some down time, I'm actually going to binge watch my way through all of Mark Warner's tutorials. In fact, as I was looking at them all, there's a staggering amount of information here to learn. So for me, I'm still quite fine with 2019 but will be excited to see what 2020 has in store.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJU...7s9NwyA/videos

    Quick Gears is the first one!
    Well if that makes you excited, fine.

    In other software you would make much more realistic parametric Gear objects with realistic animation in no time.

    Fact is that there are countless flaws and inefficiencies in LW. That's why many (of the few remaining) users are impatient for NewTek to finally fix them.

    Also, there is no other 3D software where there are so few tutorials (free and commercial) available as for LightWave.

    I have also been looking forward for LW 2020 but these 'final preparations' just take too long.

  4. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Also, there is no other 3D software where there are so few tutorials (free and commercial) available as for LightWave.
    Sorry to bang the same drum but one very smart thing Modo did recently was buy out William Vaughan's Modo Essentials training, which he was selling on Gumroad, and make it available completely free to new Modo users. Has anyone seen the quality of his training resources nowadays ? He has perfected it to an art - like introducing 3D concepts in the fun style of those old kids comic book annuals - and a similar thing for Lightwave would be really good for new users.

    Two of Williams books are software agnostic and thus very Lightwave applicable:-
    The Pushing Points Topology Workbook: Volume 01
    Topology Workbook Volume 2


  5. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    The LW engineering team has been working from home for many years. But releasing a product requires more than engineering. There are also the marketing, sales, support, and IT people who now find themselves in more unusual and challenging conditions.

    ---JvdL---
    marketing?

  6. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    For a new project, I spent a whole weekend using Blender. By Sunday night, I was only half done. To get the job done, I restarted the whole project in Modeler and was done in a few hours. Again, for the past two days, I have been modeling with Blender. I missed my deadline, but I am committed to finishing the project in Blender. There is lots to like about Blender. But there's also something to be said about the way you can bash away in Modeler.

    Also some of the things that I thought were limitations in Modeler, I can easily break in Blender as well.
    Be aware that there are some roadblocks in your mind you are transfering to blender coming from lw. Things wich you simply do in blender wich are a recipe for deaster in lw (or the other way round)

    A very basic and obvious example : Making model derivatives. In blender I simply do it and save it as a new scene, since all objects are embedded into the scene file I don't have to care about older scenes beeing modified through this (but still, after all these years with blender, I caught my subconsciousness beeing hesitant about it). On the other hand, good luck trying to replace an object with another in blender the easy way like in lw.
    And there a lot more of these "wow you can simply do this ?!" and "why in the hell is this not possible" moments using blender coming from lw.

    As for modeling it also depends on what type of model you are making.(imho)
    I can model archviz stuff in lw a lot faster, while for (semi-) organic modeling blender has become my weapon of choice.
    Last edited by tischbein3; 03-27-2020 at 09:05 AM.

  7. #112
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    ...Fact is that there are countless flaws and inefficiencies in LW. That's why many (of the few remaining) users are impatient for NewTek to finally fix them....
    I'm in no hurry. Nobody is denied access to other tools. I can only laugh at these impatient discussion threads. The 3D app market is mature. The major players have each been around for at least 20 years and all have their own countless flaws and inefficiencies (this even includes the "new kid" on the block that seems to be upsetting the market).

    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    ...Also, there is no other 3D software where there are so few tutorials (free and commercial) available as for LightWave...
    There's no debate that NewTek could greatly improve marketing and training to attack the new user market and to defend the existing user market. However, I have collected/bookmarked/playlisted hundreds of training videos that will still take me years to digest. Where are you looking and only finding "few"?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  8. #113
    LW Watcher
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    .. this even includes the "new kid" on the block that seems to be upsetting the market
    Who's the "new kid"?

  9. #114
    Super Member Qexit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Warrington, UK
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Who's the "new kid"?
    Just a wild guess, but I suspect he is talking about Blender
    Kevin F Stubbs

    Remember...one size does NOT fit all

  10. #115
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,106
    Yes, Blender has been around for over 20 years. I can't do anything but giggle at those that are excited to have recently discovered this "new" program.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  11. #116
    LW Watcher
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Yes, Blender has been around for over 20 years. I can't do anything but giggle at those that are excited to have recently discovered this "new" program.
    Yes, I didn't see blender as a "new kid".

  12. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm in no hurry. Nobody is denied access to other tools. I can only laugh at these impatient discussion threads. The 3D app market is mature. The major players have each been around for at least 20 years and all have their own countless flaws and inefficiencies (this even includes the "new kid" on the block that seems to be upsetting the market).



    There's no debate that NewTek could greatly improve marketing and training to attack the new user market and to defend the existing user market. However, I have collected/bookmarked/playlisted hundreds of training videos that will still take me years to digest. Where are you looking and only finding "few"?
    Actually not in a hurry as I use LW just in few occasions, there are not many use cases where I can use it nowadays.

    Still looking forward to LW 2020, it's just incredible how slow they move. Anyway if it's the killer update, all is forgiven

    Can't say that I find any major flaw in my main application (Cinema), except licensing in the newest version, therefore I will keep the current version (with tons plugins) but not update again.

    In the past years I tried Blender but always disliked its UI. Now since 2.8.x I started learning it and I'm very pleased using it, specially with some hardsurface addons.

    For these apps I get daily new and up-to-date tutorial notifications. For LW there is almost only old stuff and mostly not in todays high quality standards. A big exception are the RH ones which I have and worked through.

    Tutorials are not that important for myself again as I prefer learning with personal projects, but if I need some for the other apps there are unlimited high quality resources.

  13. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    cologne
    Posts
    86
    In German, blender means something like someone who shows off. From this point of view, the silence around lightwave is quite pleasant.

    I also find Newtek's trust in its users really remarkable. You run a forum, completely without admins. This is called trust. :-)

  14. #119
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,649
    Quote Originally Posted by kievi View Post
    I also find Newtek's trust in its users really remarkable. You run a forum, completely without admins. This is called trust. :-)
    Well, actually ... you will find the odd person who thinks I'm some sort of megalomaniacal evil overlord ... but you really have to try my patience to see that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  15. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    cologne
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Well, actually ... you will find the odd person who thinks I'm some sort of megalomaniacal evil overlord ... but you really have to try my patience to see that.

    now you've scared me :-)


    but....

    the stars at night are big and bright, and now, you are my forum light.
    So sit down and take a beer, and tell us why is LW 2020 not here :-)
    Last edited by kievi; 03-27-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •