Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously NewTek... This is your best moment for LW2020

dark times... dark times...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Top Dog
    I have been learning other 3D content creation software ever since the post version 9 debacle. At a point, I thought Modo was the way forward. Although it had some great modeling features and its UI made it easy to transition, I ultimately got frustrated with its non-modeling features.

Then about three years ago, I tried my hand at 3DS Max. I really liked its work flow and it also had some great modeling tools. But in certain areas, it also fell flat, such that I could not justify the price tag.

When version 2.8, I finally found that I could commit to fully learning Blender. They finally developed a UI that made sense and there are some great modeling tools (I haven't delved into the animation, etc. features). Although, I find that it can make easy work of things that takes an act of God in Modeler, conversely Blender may take the easiest tasks in Modeler and make them complex.

For a new project, I spent a whole weekend using Blender. By Sunday night, I was only half done. To get the job done, I restarted the whole project in Modeler and was done in a few hours. Again, for the past two days, I have been modeling with Blender. I missed my deadline, but I am committed to finishing the project in Blender. There is lots to like about Blender. But there's also something to be said about the way you can bash away in Modeler.

Also some of the things that I thought were limitations in Modeler, I can easily break in Blender as well.

i tried saying similar in the Blender forum, but soon got struck down by some ex-LightWave users.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    I have been learning other 3D content creation software ever since the post version 9 debacle. At a point, I thought Modo was the way forward. Although it had some great modeling features and its UI made it easy to transition, I ultimately got frustrated with its non-modeling features.

Then about three years ago, I tried my hand at 3DS Max. I really liked its work flow and it also had some great modeling tools. But in certain areas, it also fell flat, such that I could not justify the price tag.

When version 2.8, I finally found that I could commit to fully learning Blender. They finally developed a UI that made sense and there are some great modeling tools (I haven't delved into the animation, etc. features). Although, I find that it can make easy work of things that takes an act of God in Modeler, conversely Blender may take the easiest tasks in Modeler and make them complex.

For a new project, I spent a whole weekend using Blender. By Sunday night, I was only half done. To get the job done, I restarted the whole project in Modeler and was done in a few hours. Again, for the past two days, I have been modeling with Blender. I missed my deadline, but I am committed to finishing the project in Blender. There is lots to like about Blender. But there's also something to be said about the way you can bash away in Modeler.

Also some of the things that I thought were limitations in Modeler, I can easily break in Blender as well.
    Lightwave modeler is amazing. With LWCAD + with other plugins it is an archviz heaven. It helped us to complete crazy complex jobs within the shortest time frame.

Erikals, you do not need to worry mate.. Your contribution to LW modeler is at a saint level. We appreciate your every video and time you spent in these forums and in youtube videos.

Thank You tyrot !  

hopefully i will make many more...  

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post

I don’t say that you’re wrong. I just think this is a little biased view. Would you say that this is true reversed as well? Like if you was used to work in blender for many years and come over to modeler and did a model over the weekend, would it still be faster in LW? Can I ask what type of modeling you do?

These days, I'm doing all my modeling in ZBrush. It's not great for hard surface, but it's nice being able to sculpt and model in a single tool.

Learning Blender for more VFX that LightWave struggles with...ground fog, water, fire and smoke.

I still prefer LW for rendering, but its limitations have me frustrated and I'm not buying into another renderer.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

You can not do a bezier bridge between polys, (artspheres AW bridge, not the native one,but that is one of the few ones )
    I would love to have it cause it can yields some very nice rapid structure organic blending..and together with blenders sculpting and retopo in snake mode, and curves etc..it would rock.

Workflow otherwise, there are some other aspects, which I am much more comfortable with in Lightwave than in blender, centering objects, rest to ground, zoom to selections, adding points( yes..you can not add a point directly in blender unless adding it in the preferences as addon) and itīs still kind of not very comfortable, layers..need to evaluate blendes on this, and copy and paste...itīs something with those core functions I am more comfortable with in Lightwave, then the other stuff is a completely differnt thing where blender rocks.

That said..I may change my view on that after some more advanced modeling sessions in blender..but not currently.

And donīt forget to remove the cube in blender.
    And of course, the viewport maximize four quad to single ports etc In lightwave, and setting the display up to what I need within the viewports..for each individual view, and not in seperate panels..though that has been improved now with 2,8 and display layer tools.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You can not do a bezier bridge between polys, (artspheres AW bridge, not the native one,but that is one of the few ones )
    I would love to have it cause it can yields some very nice rapid structure organic blending..and together with blenders sculpting and retopo in snake mode, and curves etc..it would rock.
    Did you actually try that fast-carve add-on that was recommended in the thread where you asked about a Blender equivalent to Art's BezierBridge? It's not quite the exact same, but that combined with other curve tools seems pretty close.

As for some of the others:

Rest to ground: Drop to Ground (add-on, https://gumroad.com/l/drop_to_ground, tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0KAh4Q6Zc )

Adding a point/vert: Ctrl-RMB (Edit mode) https://all3dp.com/2/blender-how-to-...ply-explained/

Zoom to selected: Numpad-. (that's numpad-decimalpoint) https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...elected-object

Center object to origin: Object->SetOrigin->Geometry to Origin (Object mode) https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2...t=set%20origin. Also supports "Origin to Geometry" and some other nice quick adjust modes. See also https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...objects-origin

If you aren't already, you can do simple queries at https://blender.stackexchange.com/ to quickly solve many of these needs. None of these took me more than a minute or two to find, verify with current Blender, etc.
    Last edited by jwiede; 03-26-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Did you actually try that fast-carve add-on that was recommended in the thread where you asked about a Blender equivalent to Art's BezierBridge? It's not quite the exact same, but that combined with other curve tools seems pretty close.
    No..I didnīt , I thought it wasnīt the same fast workflow, and the result seem to be in need to remesh, ergo it would in itīs basic structure after the remesh not be the same possible even screwed up.
    But I need to check it up someday to properly confirm all that.

Can not see it being as fast and smooth as AW bezier spline bridge, if you know how to use it best, If I get the time I would like to record some sessions of that, itīs so smooth to just select a couple of faces, run it and a nice bridge that also adapts the polyform to the underlying direction of the selected two faces...you need to be aware on how to use the spline mode though, and how it can turn and twist itself in a curl, depending on how the face normal is directed on on axis, and another face normal is at another normal direction, really cool, and how to add and remove knots from the spline creating the bridge, perfect for creating cage ribbons, or some alien bone connections.

To note, there is a difference in the native spline bridge vs aw spline bridge, one thing that the native has going for itself, that is you can actually select multiple faces on the first start selections, and the same for the final end selections, AW can not do that in one go, you have to select and merge faces ..then it works.
    And there is one more thing that makes it easier for one sort of bridging, have to record and show that, but thatīs it..the native spline bridge can not control edit handles within the spline as I am aware of.

From a toroids, then bezier bridging from some polys only...itīs nice that it maintains the settings previously used, but can be changed for any bridge you are about to make, so itīs just a matter of setting a nice spline curve, a nice tension, picking the proper faces that yields a nice twist or bend, then run it...itīs so fast to do, I just canīt see blender able to do this with the same ease and also maintaining the main basic mesh resolution.

Using blenders curves, or even drawing curves with direct view of the profile/mesh on to other objects are of course fantastic..and something I wish lw had, and of course non destructive until you convert to a mesh, or using skin modifier with face connections, wich can be used to get something similar, but this is a bit different.

I would love to have something like 3rd powers metamesh, along with this, and along with all the sculpting functions of blender, and skin modifier, then I would be a happy old f

I do not think any of the software could perform a bridge spline bezier bridge tool like this, but maintaining some nondestructive workflow, so you could pick up the bridge connection, re-adjust the shape..then commit again with another tension level perhaps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW bezier spline bridge.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	147153

Just a head's up I was editing my post, and added some references to quick means of doing some of the other stuff you'd asked about in your earlier post.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just a head's up I was editing my post, and added some references to quick means of doing some of the other stuff you'd asked about in your earlier post.
    I know about center to selection with "," use it all the time, however..maybe just that I am not so used to it VS ligthwaveīs shortcuts..and I find it yield odd behavior sometimes, and you have to make sure you have your mouse in the viewport and not hovering over the other panels, and you have to make sure you have selected the object properly, for me I find lwīs zoom to selection and object simply easier to use.

I also know how to change the origin to object, or volume center etc..it sure has more options there, but I feel itīs not as fast to use as lwīs version of it, also...blender is typicly more designed to use shortcuts, and as such it will require more of you to have it all in the brains for shortcuts, which I do dot like that much, in case I get temporarely confused with lw shortcuts, I can always read the main tab, and the menus, and that will be quick enough, rather than spending time on thinking which shortcut was what.
    You need to spend a lot..a lot of time, and possibly discard other software if you are to be efficient with blender shortcut..thatīs my point of view on it anyway.

For rest to ground, thanks...but itīs also things like this, you shouldnīt even have to bother about finding an addon for those basic stuff I think, that said, I am sure lw has similar issues the other way around.

To note, copy and paste OD tools seem to be working fine with Lightwave 2019.1.5 and blender 2.81, start a main mesh in lw, copy and paste to blender, sculpt, copy and paste back in to lw.

Should perphaps post this in the 1000 ways to use blender and lightwave together section, but the thread may be in danger of not surviving itīs own specification ..if thereīs too many posts

Some more bridging, in lw, sent to blender..for three reasons, but first the bridging would have taken me much more longer time in blender to do.
    But for blender..

1. the ribboning, I usually select ring loops in the bridged segment and do an edge bevel, then switch to poly selections...it is all fine, they turn red selected and it works, In lightwave that operation was screwed up since 2015 series and still is, it used to work ..at least for the switch from edge bevel to poly selection..
    So its a bevel edge, switch to poly and extrudde along normal, also, the alt one mouse left mouse click yields a faster loop selection than how lightwave does it...after switching to poly face mode, itīs a right click and select faces along normals.

2. itīs the subsurface in the PBR material, in my opinion the Blender subsurface gives a much more easier control and also better results than Lightwaveīs subsurface within itīs PBR shader.

3. and the GPU renderer ...much faster than lightwaves for GI.

4. Noise handling is easier to deal with in blender from my perspective.

5. Tonemapping results directly in the interactive renderer..to get what you want ..when you want it.

So a lot of better performance here in blender for some simple stuff like this, otherwise I wouldnīt have bothered..so no the render engine and materials needs improvement in Lightwave, along with modeling operations as you can see.

Name:	lw bezier bridgejpg.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	147154

Name:	organics_lw bezier bridge_blender subsurf.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	147155

And for the do not forget the topic...

I am suspecting the lw team may be working from home?
    And given the conditions they may not be able to pull off a release as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I am suspecting the lw team may be working from home?
    The LW engineering team has been working from home for many years. But releasing a product requires more than engineering. There are also the marketing, sales, support, and IT people who now find themselves in more unusual and challenging conditions.

---JvdL---

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast