Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 304

Thread: Seriously NewTek... This is your best moment for LW2020

  1. #61
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,879
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I also hope Vizrt didn't throw poor Adrian in the Danube with concrete shoes for leaking the truth about LW and Vray GPU capability. Oh the wait...
    Vray for LW would be nice, no question, but finding the rumor rather implausible, to say the least.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I kinda hope LW is in the same position, but I also hope Vizrt didn't throw poor Adrian in the Danube with concrete shoes for leaking the truth about LW and Vray GPU capability. Oh the wait...
    Even if this is true (which is very unlikely in my opinion), how many LW users would pay for a Vray (rental only) license? From what I've seen in this forum LW users are not really big spenders. In addition, the new Vray online licensing is horrible.

  3. #63
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,194
    Vray is just another rendering solution, rendering has never been LW's weakest point, LW needs more than just another renderer to survive. Vray isn't that great either alot of things works differnt between CPU and GPU and makes it very annoying to work with.

  4. #64
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Vray is just another rendering solution, rendering has never been LW's weakest point, LW needs more than just another renderer to survive. Vray isn't that great either alot of things works differnt between CPU and GPU and makes it very annoying to work with.
    Canīt say I would agree with that, it has never? yes...but it has become a weaker point, the aa for fiberfx is so darn slow, and the spec issues with glossy shading etc.
    They need to up the speed tremendously on fiberfx, and get a gpu render as well for that, and for volumetrics....rendering of fluids is too slow.

    Agree on that they need more than that, personally I believe they need to adress the mesh handling in layout, creation and weight paint, and sculpting, then adress the rendering speed, adress the UI, and they need to do something about
    the dynamic system and fluids, especially merging the forces to work with eachother, any bullet wind or force should push the vdb gas solver, and any particle system there is as well, and work with the bullet bodies.
    After that they need to enhance the fluid display for the gas solver, and the speed of the sims.
    Weight emission should be possible after they initially make a proper tool that doesnīt suck in display and painting.

    And much much more.

    That said, can not say much about the VRay comparison, only lw VS blender, houdini.

  5. #65
    Super Member JohnMarchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Murcia, Spain
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Vray for LW would be nice, no question, but finding the rumor rather implausible, to say the least.
    I have to agree with you.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

    LightWave 2020

    Very nice Laptop

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

    our currency, Norwegian Krone (NOK) hasn't been less worth since before the War.


    I guess our dollar is at an 18 year low. I'm guessing it will likely go even lower.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Vray is just another rendering solution, rendering has never been LW's weakest point, LW needs more than just another renderer to survive.
    it is now, along with the workflow and ui mess in nodes, properties panels etc

    good job!

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Canīt say I would agree with that, it has never? yes...but it has become a weaker point, the aa for fiberfx is so darn slow, and the spec issues with glossy shading etc.
    They need to up the speed tremendously on fiberfx, and get a gpu render as well for that, and for volumetrics....rendering of fluids is too slow.

    Agree on that they need more than that, personally I believe they need to adress the mesh handling in layout, creation and weight paint, and sculpting, then adress the rendering speed, adress the UI, and they need to do something about
    the dynamic system and fluids, especially merging the forces to work with eachother, any bullet wind or force should push the vdb gas solver, and any particle system there is as well, and work with the bullet bodies.
    After that they need to enhance the fluid display for the gas solver, and the speed of the sims.
    Weight emission should be possible after they initially make a proper tool that doesnīt suck in display and painting.

    And much much more.

    That said, can not say much about the VRay comparison, only lw VS blender, houdini.
    TL ; DR

    Start again?
    Last edited by gar26lw; 03-24-2020 at 01:30 AM.

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Lancashire, England
    Posts
    22
    If GPU rendering was introduced what sort of API do you think they would use to implement it? OpenCl? Vulkan? CUDA? or something more exotoic?

  10. #70
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    TLR

    Start again?
    Uhh..say again?
    Not following.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBeckwith View Post
    If GPU rendering was introduced what sort of API do you think they would use to implement it? OpenCl? Vulkan? CUDA? or something more exotoic?
    You as all of us or who?

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,276
    just that amount of changes seem to build up to core 2

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Vray is just another rendering solution, rendering has never been LW's weakest point, LW needs more than just another renderer to survive. Vray isn't that great either alot of things works differnt between CPU and GPU and makes it very annoying to work with.
    Most of the pb between CPU and GPU renders are more close than before...
    Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Cores - 64 Threads / 2 x GTX 1080 + 1 GTX 1070 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2020 & Softimage user

  13. #73
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    just that amount of changes seem to build up to core 2
    Never said they should or could compress all that to the next release.
    Itīs things they need to adress anyway to stay in the compitition...you can try and discard any of those elements as not possible,

    and you would most likely come to the conclusion that if that was the case, you would simply use another tool....most of it has already been started, but itīs just to poorly develeped right now...so if the fear of core2 is what would stop them for continue to develop all that, it just wouldnīt make any sense, unless they run out of resources.

  14. #74

    meanwhile...

    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  15. #75
    Carbon fibre dongleŪ 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honeycomb hideout
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    when's LW 2020?

    Pretty much nothing in this video made me excited about upcoming version.
    That said me, ex-Modo aficionado since 20x times.

    Foundry kicked out dev team and moved some of them elsewhere, updates were weird and totally unnecessary is some parts of the app while other features despite requests never fixed...
    During the 11.x-13x cycle Modo went from bit flakey to Holy Fkn Sht Crashfest.

    And now this "Apple" like video with pure BS narrative was as pointless as adding animation capabilities to Modo.


    Just end the suffering Foundry and sell it to someone who cares and can push it forward before it ends up being free addition to Poser.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •