Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously NewTek... This is your best moment for LW2020

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    looks nice, and yep, needs an upres.  
    Perhaps not upres, but main grid increase of res, I used 150..which probably is too low for this stuff at large scale sims, and 2 for the highres-Upres.
    I just changed to 250 in main grid and kept the same res of 2 for the highres upres, much more detail for better looking smoke, but also became much much slower to simulate, at 100 or so, you may be able to see it slowly simulate, but at the higher level..you need to go and to the dishes and spring cleaning.
    so I just resimed it, the general fluids will not look the same though I think, since I didnīt truly just upres it with the high res grid.

I think TFD would outperform blender quite a bit simulating at these scales, on the other hand, canīt stand itīs shader in terms of both speed and multiple scatter handling, and I can not get a visual openFL feedback with both fire and smoke at the same time as blender can.

And comparing, watching Alan McKay doing his sim with tyflow and max, much faster and yielding what seems to be much higher resolution in the sim..but as mentioned, much much faster, not sure if it is tyflow VS blender o his hardware or something else, or both

tyflow looks fun, if i had the time, i'd sure be "doodling" clouds/nebulas with it.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

tyflow looks fun, if i had the time, i'd sure be "doodling" clouds/nebulas with it.  

Clouds Nebulas? with tyflow? perhaps..what have you seen and refer to? that I havenīt seen?

I did change the speed of the source emission, but canīt tell how that looks until I render it, even though it is baked it takes time to replay...may render in opengl first, or just go low res preview rendering.
    This could be ported to Lightwave and shaded pretty good also I think, but whatīs the point, it will render faster in blender anyway, and sort of easier to deal with the emissive noise.

Lightwaveīs gas solver is actually not all that bad for that, itīs better suited for that kind of stuff when shading, then using blackbody and temp shading..it can yield very nice whispy results, and as mentioned, when you feed the particle velocity in to the gas solvers gas force input, that yields very good results to push the fluids..whithout actually using the particles as fluid emission generator..just as a force..the fluid will still emitt its fluid only generated from the mesh that is used, again..donīt think you can do that in blender, or in TFD either for that matter.

Sample image, increased resolution..gives more detail, though the volume step size is a bit too large here at 0,3, should go below 0,1, maybe 0,5 ..but then I am in danger of my system yielding failure and aborting the render functionality with the GPU, considering that resolution size and at that step size level, so I may have to switch to CPU in the end, which means considerably longer Final rendertimes compared to the GPU.

But I need to go lower in step size, change the blackbody color or tint a bit more since I want it more orange where it starts to go smokey, I would also change the main color of the smoke to more black since this is gasolin or oil stuff..burning it black much faster and generally.

Anyway...you can see in the images the render settings, and the shading setup..itīs quite simple, and the grid resolutions..
    And I screwed up the day & night rythm again thanks to this...maybe two more hours then to sleep before the sun goes up....not good, I miss out on the daylight that is needed.
    Ill try to avoid more blender showcases here, should go in to blenderartists forum instead...I know.

There is also the option of mixing in the heat channel, however it needs to be filtered with a density attribute and feed in to the color of the emission, a bit more complex setup for the fire shading.

But a little notice for the LW team if they see it, continue to work on the gas solver, there is a lot still to adress if you want to match a free software able to pull this off, if not..remove gas solver and the vdb tools and forget about the competition

Image sample not finished in iteration of samples, since it was from the interactive cycles render, also ..the final post processing denoise isnīt applied here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render & shading & Grid settings.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	147092

Clouds Nebulas? with tyflow?
    haven't seen examples, but it being so fast, i'm thinking something must be possible.
    tho' probably not photoreal detail.

And I screwed up the day & night rythm again
    well, u r not alone....   Zzzzzz....

But a little notice for the LW team if they see it
    yep, hope to see more and improved VFX solutions in LW  

Updated, but will not speak to much about the main software..itīs not lightwave anyway, other than talking about general approach.
    Will add the tank main vehicle tank station etc, maybe do a complete resim and avoid particles a main source (this is where I would like B...to have the gas solver option with from particles to the gas solvers force grid, it would yield much better inital blast plumes)

I could re-sim it with the other way of using expanded mesh items with some displacement on it, which ofen is done as well.

And in this case scenario, Embergen would actually rock since I would have realtime feedback mostly on how the smoke develops during simulation and tweaking the simulation, there are emitters and also the options to import static collision objects, so I would only need to use a tank dummy to get that right, simulate it in Embergen and export to VDB for rendering in B.
    I also think the Embergen quality and solver in the simulation seems much better than native B fluid solver..including mantaflow.

Changed Main domain grid tofrom 150 to 250, changed source strength from previous 10 to 4 ( got a little too slow initially ..may need to dial back) changed color a little bit darker and a tiny bit of changes in blackbody, will need to work
    more on that as well.
    Could also increase or add mor turbulence force to get more whisps at the end of the smoke rising.

I am also awaiting to see if the next lw releas will have som vdb gas solver improvments, especially the OpenGL presentation and a direct connection to the temp and density shading without having to load the vdb caching first
    Or TFD next perhaps, if it can yield new pbr volumetrics, weight emission and opengl fire and smoke at the same time, it will be interesting since I think it simulates much faster on larger scale sims, but it currently lacks all those features I want.
    An openGL GPU render preview solution is a must as well though, cpu wonīt cut it for tweaking, final render perhaps..but not when setting things up.

Currently the VDB tools and gas solver couldnīt get me to this level in itīs current state, itīs promising..but more on that is needed.

TFD and Octane will probably be a good alternative, but that means 3 expensive tools to perform this, and you will never have a unified force dynamic engine like blender has where all dynamics work in concunction, force and windīs, particles and fluids and bullet bodies, they all affect eachother.
    Lightwave Guru has shown some very nice examples.

The biggest issues with blender will be quality in ratio to a decent simulation time..not rendering or fluid shading, while itīs quite the opposite for Lightwave gas solver and TFD.

Higher resolution in the youtube clip as well, but only 1280x720

when's LW 2020?

how is CA in Modo doing now ?

that app is alright, nothing extraordinary, just like the upgrade.

LW 2020 will come around, when it will.

meanwhile... coffee...  

did you know there is a discount on LWcad now...  
    a great addition to LightWave, get it > https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/161916

I just noticed the CDN dollar is really taking a hit at the moment. Only worth .69 to the US dollar. Hopefully LW 2020 upgrade comes out soon because the price for me is going up by the day. Anyone else's currency tanking against the US dollar right now?

Maybe my dollar will recover by the time it get's released if it's gonna be a while.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

The only things that gets my intention for that Modo presentation, that is teh curve drill for details, and profiling..ala lwCAD sort of..but profiling has been there for some time I think.
    Otherwise from what I saw from that...very very thin presentation and nothing really that excites me...weīll see if they will have more to show, or this must be something new for modo presenting so little.

That's normal for MODO now, ever since they went to the tiered release schedule.

3 releases per year. Supposed to allow them to work on features and make them solid so that they don't look as bad as when they released 901.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M
    Desktop: iMac | i7 3.5GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 780M

Anyone else's currency tanking against the US dollar right now?
    our currency, Norwegian Krone (NOK) hasn't been less worth since before the War.

our currency, Norwegian Krone (NOK) hasn't been less worth since before the War.

The GB Pound has been falling steadily agains the US $ for a few weeks. I think it staged a minor recovery over the last couple of days. It was around $1.30 during the first week of March and is now down to $1.16. Lowest it's been for a long time.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

as if i wasn't poor enough...

ah, the pain... the paaaain.  [kidding]

Quote Originally Posted by Vong View Post
    That's normal for MODO now, ever since they went to the tiered release schedule.

3 releases per year. Supposed to allow them to work on features and make them solid so that they don't look as bad as when they released 901.
    Some of the Modo threads nowadays read like some of the more negative LW threads, the reason being that the devs are quietly rewriting a lot of code behind the scenes, but don't want to cause too much disruption to existing users, so essentially have two Modos in parallel...which isn't a very sexy sell, especially when 14 has been recieved as a bit lacklustre. The mods have now shut down their long running Blender thread - 8+ years and over 850,000 views - and made that read only. A "sequel" thread lasted just 10 days.

I kinda hope LW is in the same position, but I also hope Vizrt didn't throw poor Adrian in the Danube with concrete shoes for leaking the truth about LW and Vray GPU capability. Oh the wait...
    Last edited by TheLexx; 03-22-2020 at 06:30 PM.

yeah, I guess with currency fluctuations and business environment, blender is gonna take a big jump.

if US $ rises and prices are not adjusted at the lw store, a lot are gonna skip out this time.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast