Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We bought an electric car.

We bought an electric car.

It's a Chevy Bolt EV, 259 mile range, more if you're careful. We're pretty pleased with it, it's neat "filling up" overnight right in my garage.

shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Well done, looks really nice :-) I'd like to buy one but they are prohibitively expensive in the UK, as are hybrid cars. You would have thought that Governments would make them affordable so we could all get them but that's for another discussion I'm sure.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Nice car Shrox, but I am still not convinced with where all this extra electric is coming from.
    I saw someone the other day desperately driving round trying to locate a charging point......
    I am too used to just pulling into a petrol station and moving on, don’t want to have to plan every journey in advance.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

I saw someone the other day desperately driving round trying to locate a charging point......
    I am too used to just pulling into a petrol station and moving on, don’t want to have to plan every journey in advance.
    it won't be too long before all cars in modern countries are electric.  

( cool car )
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have had this discussion at work, and the concept is nice, BUT the used car market is massive.
    Most people can not afford the extra cost of an electric car. It will be many years before second hand models are anywhere near affordable.
    I still really don’t get why the government doesn’t encourage prices to be more affordable.
    Personally I have looked at the figures, and I only do short journeys, the saving in fuel cost compared to the vastly increased price of the car is no saving for me, and then it’s a pain in the butt to pre-plan every trip (as there probably are no charging points).

Then on the other side, the UK govt is always pushing for smart meters in your home to save electric.....

I do like the new Porsche though....£148k (top spec), fast charging in 5 mins for 100km, 0-60 in 2.8secs.
    But then I couldn’t afford a basic used Porsche....
    Last edited by Markc; 03-16-2020 at 05:03 AM.
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

The UK and i think most countries do not have the infrastructure to cope with all electric cars at the moment. Night time is usually down time for the national grid, its when they get to do maintenance and stock up for the following day. If we had all electric cars then the nighttime would be just as used as the day time. Imagine waking up ready for work only to find the power has been off for 3 hours over night and your car is only partially charged and not enough to get to work.

I recently had an issue in of all places Cardiff in Wales, nearly fell A over T whilst walking in a street at night. There was a cable coming out of someones house across the pavement to charge their car, it was a poorly lit area and i nearly tripped over it, it got me thinking about all those people who do not have garages, especially in big cities. Also the cables contain some parts that thieves like very much.

To deliver this in the UK would mean a massive investment in national grid infrastructure, a different approach to how it is delivered and a lot more planning on the part of the government and also the people. Also dont know what will happen to farming vehicles, lorries and such.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Very valid points.
    I really can’t see charging points in the depths of Scotland or Wales either.
    Not to mention the vast spaces in USA or Australia.

I do have a Hybrid (Passat GTE) too since over 2 years now, needed to carry some TC equipment around in DACH, family, ... to events, holidays and so on. Great fun to drive !
    The solar panels insallation we did at our home back in 2005 (4,8kWp) generates yearly around +5K kWh, so I ended up the past 2 years nearly exactly +/-0 on consumtion/own electricity production. 45° roof pitch towards south

Best from greater Munich area, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    its when they get to do maintenance and stock up for the following day.
    Stock up on electricity - never heard of such a thing other than batteries of course.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    It's a Chevy Bolt EV, 259 mile range, more if you're careful. We're pretty pleased with it, it's neat "filling up" overnight right in my garage.
    That's great Shrox! I'd like like to be able to do that as well - but will opt for solar panels on the house first. I'm here in Myrtle Beach and it's quite amazing the charging stations sprouting up. It will take time - for every place to have it - but then gas stations didn't sprout up overnight either.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Stock up on electricity - never heard of such a thing other than batteries of course.
    No not electricity, but yes batteries. But coal, oil, biomass, wood, whatever is producing it.

Nuclear power stations take between 5-10 years to build and bring online, the UK is still mostly talking about it. Much the same in other countries.

That's before we look at the other problems of cobalt mining.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/01/uk-electric-cars-2030/
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 03-16-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Nice car Shrox, but I am still not convinced with where all this extra electric is coming from.
    We have several thousand charge points in California alone, many are free. We also got $12,000 in incentives and rebate, which brings it down to an average new car.
    Last edited by shrox; 03-16-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I got to go as a passenger on a Tesla 3 test drive a few months back. Pretty dang impressive. One of the things shown was the Navigation panel and how many charging stations there were. Hundreds. Even up into Canada.

Even so, them electrons got to come from somewhere.

And Oh, Shrox! When ya gonna update your vid to a Tesla?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    We have several thousand charge points in California alone, many are free. We also got $12,000 in incentives and rebate, which brings it down to an average new car.
    Sounds like a no-brainer then in Cali.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    ...And Oh, Shrox! When ya gonna update your vid to a Tesla?
    Never! Well, I was thinking about redoing the Mars Awaits video with SpaceX ships.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast