Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is coronavirus impacting ypur life or business ?

in Sweden that averages to 2 every day.
    in Norway that averages to 1 every day.

the problem looks to be that this virus is so darn contagious, the contagion seems to quadruple, or worst case, even multiply by 10. (compared)

so unless measurements are taken, that number could easily rise to 4000 in Sweden.

i'm no expert tho'
    just based on the data i've seen so far.
    could be wrong.

because it is so aggressive, there is also fear the virus would mutate, creating an extremely deadly virus.
    read > HIV = airborn !
    Last edited by erikals; 03-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    in Sweden that averages to 2 every day.
    in Norway that averages to 1 every day.

so unless measurements are taken, that number could easily rise to 4000 in Sweden.

The 2017-218 season we had 20438 people Lab officially confirmed infections, so that may give an idea on what to expect, and probably above that, if we are not doing the right things, and also perhaps how people take their responsibilities and cautions.
    I donīt believe it will stop at 4000 though.

Though..I could also see a future of it all where we donīt reach that amount of infections, if people really take this seriously and the right actions are made also by healt departments, amounts of deaths though is probably anyones guess.

Maybe the Government should say just that, it is a risc that the virus has mutated and become much more deadlier, and see how that would make people take it more seriously, downside is that it could also create a horrible panic..and more hamstering and odd behaviour in general.

I donīt believe it will stop at 4000 though.
    to paraphrase, i meant 4000 deaths, not infected.
    it (Corona) being seemingly 4x more contagious. (or 10x)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+how+dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

to paraphrase, i meant 4000 deaths, not infected.
    it (Corona) being seemingly 4x more contagious. (or 10x)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+how+dangerous
    Oh...Yes that doesnīt sound impossible that it would come to those figures, but I think not...if you multiply the latest worst season of 20000 infected by 10, you have 200 000 infected, and put that in relation to 80 980 infected in China and 3193 thousand deaths...so far, and from what I heard of lastly from china... is that it seem to not spreading as much or as fast anymore, but I am not sure.

The demography is of importance of course, we can see that france and germany almost having the same amount of infected, but France has 91 deaths VS Germanys 9, a huge difference..which might be explained by which Regions is effected and how many of those living there is populated by elderly people, and or many other factors.

I would wish for a nice cabin up north right now to escape to, Rain deer meat all stocked up, some DVD of good movies, and frozen strawberry, ice cream and chocolate and a lot of wood to burn for the fire, something nice to drink, lots of work to do in 3D or music playing, and I would be fine for a year and Iīll get back when all the zombies are gone

The graph that opened my eyes to the potential severity of the outbreak in any country is this one:

[img]https://miro.medium.com/max/3406/1*pwPIo7U6pBahMZhopHYbMw.png[/img]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-pwPIo7U6pBahMZhopHYbMw.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	777.5 KB 
ID:	147081

True actual cases very much lag behind the confirmed cases.

In Canada (I live in BC) the current confirmed cases number 244. Projections based on the data available from Hubei/China, Italy, and other European countries, a careful possible estimate of infected people in Canada would be:

24400 infected people

References:
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Rsl03dSlw/copy

Don't underestimate how bad this is. According to the latest data Canada's graph closely follows the expected exponential increase in confirmed cases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...emic_in_Canada

At this point in time my school still means to remain open for classes. UBC (University of British Columbia here in Vancouver) has wisely decided to switch to online lectures only, and the students are to remain away. I am supposed to be teaching in person this upcoming week. You can bet my behind that I am going to do an online class. It is irresponsible to do otherwise.
    Last edited by Rayek; 03-14-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

I would be fine for a year and Iīll get back when all the zombies are gone
    yeah, who knows how long this will last...  

2 weeks?
    4 ?
    8 ?

You can bet my behind that I am going to do an online class. It is irresponsible to do otherwise.
    yes. wise decision.
    Last edited by erikals; 03-14-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post

Don't underestimate how bad this is. According to the latest data Canada's graph closely follows the expected exponential increase in confirmed cases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...emic_in_Canada

At this point in time my school still means to remain open for classes. UBC (University of British Columbia here in Vancouver) has wisely decided to switch to online lectures only, and the students are to remain away. I am supposed to be teaching in person this upcoming week. You can bet my behind that I am going to do an online class. It is irresponsible to do otherwise.

Good decision and wise of you.
    As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit upset that my niece and her boyfriend, didnīt tell me he had a virus cold today, and that he didnīt stay away from the birthday celebration of my niece, they could celebrate togethe at another time, or we could all have waited.

Personally (gut feeling) which doesnīt say much of any substance and reliability perhaps..but I fear this will not start to reside earliest until 3 months from now, perhaps 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Good decision and wise of you.
    As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit upset that my niece and her boyfriend, didnīt tell me he had a virus cold today, and that he didnīt stay away from the birthday celebration of my niece, they could celebrate togethe at another time, or we could all have waited.

Personally (gut feeling) which doesnīt say much of any substance and reliability perhaps..but I fear this will not start to reside earliest until 3 months from now, perhaps 6 months.
    Ya it's to bad that some people aren't more considerate of others especially with this virus going around. Hopefully you didn't pick anything up.

Yes I think the 3 - 6 months is a good estimate. I think it might slow down with all the measures being taken of closed borders, closed schools etc. but how long can they do that for. If they reverse those changes to soon the virus will be on the move again for round 2.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit upset that my niece and her boyfriend, didn't tell me he had a virus cold today,
    and that he didn't stay away from the birthday celebration of my niece, they could celebrate together at another time, or we could all have waited.
    umf, what a jerk.   

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post

True actual cases very much lag behind the confirmed cases.

In Canada (I live in BC) the current confirmed cases number 244. Projections based on the data available from Hubei/China, Italy, and other European countries, a careful possible estimate of infected people in Canada would be:
    Yep, you're right, we only know CONFIRMED and TESTED cases. Here in Switzerland there is only testing now for some extreme hospitalized cases (afaik). Anyone with symptoms is not tested again (afaik). People call doctors but they tell them just to stay at home. Then after a week mild illness many get pneumonia. Nevertheless the amount of (again confirmed and tested) infected in our tiny country went +842 to 2'217 over night. There are estimates that the numbers are times 10 actually.

Reports from Italy are alarming and sad to read, people dying alone in hospitals or at home, crying and isolated from their dear, hospital staff breaking down, having to decide who to help and who not. Also scary is development in Spain and Iran. My guess is that Germany and the Nordics will hit in 1-2 weeks with that rate of progression, East Europe countries probably a bit later.

Canada on the other hand is a huge country (as well as some part of Nordics / Scandinavia), maybe it will not spread that much and fast there?

Everybody should do his best to prevent spreading it. Unfortunately there are always deniers "just a flue" and (mostly young) people that don't want to change their social life style, endless parties etc.
    Last edited by Marander; 03-15-2020 at 08:13 AM.

I just found out our table tennis club is closed until further notice ---- BUMMER!!!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

This may be a time for mankind too learn something from, perhaps it just becomes another flu that is taken care of with vaccination further on, but perhaps something can be learned drasticly from it, to
    prevent when another virus..even deadlier etc may arrive.

If not..there will just be another tremendous amount of people dropping and economy getting screwed once again.

Would be nice to see some of worlds resources going the weapon arsenals all over the world, being re-targeted towards nasty viruses in the form of research and other protection measures.

The opportunity to rise above the other interests are there, but the question is if the will is strong enough, or if the fear for war and profit of war will suck the energy out of any other shining moment we could come up with.

I wonder how much of the other flu types are around currently, and how many have died in that...maybe itīs hidden statistics for now...or just not noticed, must have been those dropping from that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I just found out our table tennis club is closed until further notice ---- BUMMER!!!
    Do it like Borg, find a garage place, and play against that garage door.

As for me, we are re-booking a job interview to the next week, since the recruiter was sick last week.
    My sisters man got sick the other day with fever, what he exactly has I donīt know..and heīs the kind of fellow that just donīt visits hospitals to check up on himself.
    I was at my nieceīs birthday party saturday and her boyfriend had a cold..or worse, so itīs probably that which has infected my sisters man.
    Personally I feel just fine though after 3 days. (knock on wood)

This may be a time for mankind too learn
    i was telling that to my family the other day.
    totally agree.

Do it like Borg, find a garage place, and play against that garage door.
    Do it like Borg  
    we did the same when we were kids - when playing soccer, find a wall.
    Last edited by erikals; 03-17-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Starting tomorrow, we are going to 50% staffing and the rest on telework until further notice.

So I get to work from home for part of the time, and will only come in one or two days a week.

It's not a big hit right now, but I can see it easily turning into far worse in near future as we start running out of billable hours due to work stoppages in other sectors.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast