Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is coronavirus impacting ypur life or business ?

Is coronavirus impacting ypur life or business ?

Notwithstanding those poor people all over the world over struggling with the very direct effects of the disease on the their health, there seems a tendency (at least in the UK for now) to "keep calm and carry on" with nothing in lockdown at the moment and some warning that is a mistake. How are things in other "Wavers neck-of-the-woods and is anyone experiencing difficulty ? I noticed freelance camera operators reporting loss of contracts. With software freelancers, is it different due to less personal contact ? (EDIT - please pardon the typo in title).

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Notwithstanding those poor people all over the world over struggling with the very direct effects of the disease on the their health, there seems a tendency (at least in the UK for now) to "keep calm and carry on" with nothing in lockdown at the moment and some warning that is a mistake. How are things in other "Wavers neck-of-the-woods and is anyone experiencing difficulty ? I noticed freelance camera operators reporting loss of contracts. With software freelancers, is it different due to less personal contact ? (EDIT - please pardon the typo in title).

I try that it doesn't affect me. Because of previous illnesses, I belong to the risk group. But life goes on.
    And I now have less time for my hobby. Because my family is always at home. Sorry :-))

I am writing from Cologne, Germany and it is getting scary. More and more sick.
    More and more closed shops. Less traffic. A bit like in a science fiction film.
    And your own business? That no longer exists. I work in the wine and delicatessen sector. Nobody goes out to eat.
    Still, I don't want to complain. There are reserves. And complaining is of no use anyway. I wish all of us the best!

kievi

i'm bored already.  

it's been 1 day since the "Norway Shutdown"

needless to say, many freelancers are in trouble, from what i read/heard.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

People need to remember what they see and experience right now is only the beginning. This will probably continue in some way for 3-6 months and many places will get worse and other may start to get better and pull out of it. It's starting to show the beginning signs now where I live.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i'm bored already.  

it's been 1 day since the "Norway Shutdown"

needless to say, many freelancers are in trouble, from what i read/heard.
    I'm still getting a decent amount of work and I'm freelance. I work from home and never have to see anyone face to face. I wonder how and why it's effecting them? Maybe it's the nature of the work they do?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

in the first run it is the ones working in the entertainment business.

but when we have a 50% shutdown in Norway, it is obvious in the very-very near future, orders/contracts will decline, rapidly.

Canada seems safe, for the moment.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

Had one rather large client put everything on hold till further notice but i've never been busier so I don't really mind.

I think this is all overhyped media bs, I just ignore it.

This could have been put in the General section, not the Lightwave community..and we already have one thread there about corona virus.
    Anyway..

Yes it does, I was about to go to a job interview this thursday, but the recruiter got sick had to cancel it for a while, postponed to monday..but I will contact here and make sure itīs not corona related...but even so I would like to postpone it maybe a couple of days more.

Not sure about greetings with my recruiter, of course polite to shake a hand, but nowadays..when not even ministers within their own deparment use that custom, not so sure...you donīt wont to be unpolite but at the same time, under these circumstances I think she needs to understand the situation and the worry and responsibility anyone is taking to tackle this.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Canada seems safe, for the moment.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd

That one isnīt updating fast enough either, it says 620 infected in sweden currently, when the site I refered to currently shows 809, and I complained about that one also being slow to update.
    I wonder how it gathers the information and updates it.

The sites must either updated data in different time interwalls, or use different sources.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    This could have been put in the General section, not the Lightwave community..and we already have one thread there about corona virus.
    Sorry Prometheus, didn't see that. First I was going to just add a post to the "announce 2020" thread asking if the virus will delay the 2020 release, but that seemed a bit insensitive, so I widened the subject here. My default reaction to media tends to be with Squarewulf's "overhyped bs", only this feels different, almost like the powers that be know something we don't. I'm a bit concerned if I'm honest, especially if some nut let it out of a lab ....but I'll think happy thoughts instead - looking forward to LW2020. Mod, feel free to take down the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Sorry Prometheus, didn't see that. First I was going to just add a post to the "announce 2020" thread asking if the virus will delay the 2020 release, but that seemed a bit insensitive, so I widened the subject here. My default reaction to media tends to be with Squarewulf's "overhyped bs", only this feels different, almost like the powers that be know something we don't. I'm a bit concerned if I'm honest, especially if some nut let it out of a lab ....but I'll think happy thoughts instead - looking forward to LW2020. Mod, feel free to take down the thread.

itīs all ok, just a suggestion for another time perhaps, you/ we canīt be aware of every thread...but a thumb rule could be to look at what kind of thread and question you start..then again I see why you also initially though it had relevance to lightwave.
    I am not a police officer...just the son of a

As for delaying the 2020 release, I am suspecting Newtek and the Lightwave team will also be affected to some degree, maybe not..if they and we are lucky..but I think you definitely should take that in to consideration that it probably will affect them and as such...also the release.

Life here on the isolated frontier has it's advantages.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Over the decades my work has always been a % of live action production and animation services stretching back to the mid 80's with 16mm and 35mm film and film animation work. In the last decade it's typically a project or show that I direct/shoot that takes a couple days of stage or location video combined with a good month or more of VFX/post. I've joked that I've made 70% of my income from CGI yet spent 90% of my equipment budget on cameras/gear for live action.

Doing taxes, I was shocked to discover that 2019 was the first year in a while that my income was 100% Lightwave based efforts without a single multi-media project or live action shoot day. Just animation sequence after animation sequence for a handful of clients in the medical and space science areas.

I was vaguely troubled by that news going into this year, as I prefer mixing things up more, but with the virus now shutting down shoot after shoot, the clients I have currently are happily still spending on animation which I've always done remotely. Animation work is pretty high up in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs with clients in my opinion... and I never forget how lucky I am doing it. I grew up on a large cattle ranch I still own, and know what real work is.

My heart does break for everyone impacted by all the cancellations and the loss of work that propagates from that. Take a convention like NAB, with 100,000 + attendees... all the hotel rooms, all the Uber and other Driver losses, the food and restaurant services, cleaning staff, and it's always the independent or contractor level that will have to take this and deal with it. Now multiply that times every sporting event, every public function, all the schools and colleges... it's scary. This virus is initiating a real economic downturn that did not exist two weeks ago here in the States. The stock market collapse is also a factor that can sway clients, and I have to be honest... the current issues can be a handy "excuse" for some clients to purge obligations or responsibilities that have grown burdensome and want a clean break... I'm seeing that happen with some of my friends in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Life here on the isolated frontier has it's advantages.
    Ah..there you are, have been wondering what kept you out of the forums for a while..hope all is fine with you.
    Dont get it about the "Isolated frontier" though...where is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Worst case scenario for Lightwave, Newtek goes bankrupt and canīt deliver, or decides to cut off something that they donīt find profitable and use the coronavirus as an excuse, god forbid.

> Denmark closes its borders.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast