Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 237

Thread: The Corona Virus

  1. #151
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    some days ago the grocery stores got new general advices, which means they should do whatever they can do avoid the spreading.
    And as such they now have mayed stripe marks with the text..keep the distance, but in this store I was at just recently, only one meter distance which feels a bit lame.

    And unfortunately, right behind me..some dudes not speaking swedish, so probably immigrants..they were almost standing next to me..just skipping the signs on the floor, obviously they couldnīt read the signs, and have
    not been informed properly otherwise, and at the next line I could see another immigrant..right behind an swedish spoken person, also walking up in front of the person in front of them, the lady said to back off, which I also did.
    The information to immigrants isnīt working that great.
    Please do not take this as me blaming them...itīs just the structure that doesnīt work, there are of course swedes who should know better as well who either is ignorant, or doesnīt care as well.


    1 of 3 elderly care centers has been infected in the stockholm area, which is sort of a failure, and just some day ago they prohibited visits.

  2. #152
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,649
    The major grocery retailer in Texas has, imho, done a stellar job during this crisis. For example, early this week they mounted clear face shields about 3 feet (1 meter-ish) square at the checkouts, between the employee and the customer. These were located right where the card reader was situated. Two days later, these shields had all been replaced by a much larger one. (Apparently people were leaning around the original one to chat!)

    I could write an essay about the measures they've taken had I time, but I've been really impressed by their serious and thoughtful approach.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  3. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Germany, Munich area
    Posts
    18
    down in Italy about 120 medical staff poeple (doctors, nurse, and others) obviously died by now and more than 10.000 infected within the medical sectors in the country until today

  4. #154
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The major grocery retailer in Texas has, imho, done a stellar job during this crisis. For example, early this week they mounted clear face shields about 3 feet (1 meter-ish) square at the checkouts, between the employee and the customer. These were located right where the card reader was situated. Two days later, these shields had all been replaced by a much larger one. (Apparently people were leaning around the original one to chat!)

    I could write an essay about the measures they've taken had I time, but I've been really impressed by their serious and thoughtful approach.
    Yes, I noticed this as well some week ago, on Lidl ( germany originated grocery store) they had that kind of shelter as well, not sure of the dimensions though.
    Otherwise "Ica" is one of the largest stores in most communes, but I havenīt been shopping there for a while.

    Anyway. I was about to shop on Ica today, but I noticed it was a bit crowded with people, as always on fridays when they need their snack for "fredagsmys" https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=fredagsmys
    So I went back to Lidl, which is only 130 meters away from my apartment...and as I thought, it was not as much crowded...though I got a bit irritated when people doesnīt follow the advices..in some cases it isnīt fair to blame them though...it is what it is.

    Cudos to the Grocery stores to take action and protect their employees.

    General public health information and how it is informed, which channels to use, and also considering which people may be in the risc of missing out on it, that could be crucial to stopping the spread..more so than to choose
    military style of shutting down I guess, but that assumes there is a common sense in the population..and sometimes ehh..itīs not just there.

    I listen to the daily 14:00 information on the tv every time, where they are always having a small press conferance..and showing the curves, what they do..and what we should be aware of.

    Anyone else having dry hands of all the washing? hand cream is necessary...so it rubs itīs skin with lotion, or else

  5. #155
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    7,025
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    This is stupid. Why post this?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  6. #156
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    And for balancing up confusion with some constructive positives..

    Chris Hadfield, former Nasa Astronaut describing isolation with a perspective from the situation we are at now.
    I really liked that series..Astronaut: Do you have what it takes.



  7. #157
    LW Watcher
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    This is stupid. Why post this?
    Exactly. Some people are stupid enough to believe this nonsense and have been trying to destroy phone masts in the UK.

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The major grocery retailer in Texas has, imho, done a stellar job during this crisis. For example, early this week they mounted clear face shields about 3 feet (1 meter-ish) square at the checkouts, between the employee and the customer. These were located right where the card reader was situated. Two days later, these shields had all been replaced by a much larger one. (Apparently people were leaning around the original one to chat!)

    I could write an essay about the measures they've taken had I time, but I've been really impressed by their serious and thoughtful approach.
    Those are the same measures being taken here as well. Every time I go out each week I notice more and more changes in place. Some stores have implemented one way isles with direction arrows and stop signs on the floor to follow in order to prevent people from meeting each other in the narrow isles. Spacing markers have been added for people waiting in line to check out. Some store employees are even given the job of acting as a kind of traffic cop to direct people and make sure the rules are being followed. I even saw that a grocery store in Toronto had hired bouncers to deal with customers who refuse to follow the rules. The number of people is also being limited in most stores now.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  9. #159
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Yeah Nicolas, hard trying times for so many of us, canīt imagine how tough it will be for those who absolutely need to go out everyday..to earn their living for each day, not all regions have insurances for all that.

    My only concern to worry about right now is the store, otherwise I do not meet any people at all..and I donīt have any real issues with such isolation really, Had I been sure of a mars trip being decently safe to lift of..land on Mars, and also a very high chance of succesful lift of and return back and landing..I woul be fine as a candidate ..from the isolation point of view anyway
    But I am too chicken and dare not ride rollercoasters..so maybe not.

    Right now the infection isnīt that high or increasingly scary over here..so I do not concern myself of protecting myself with bandana or any kind of protection over the nose and mouth, would probably need glasses as well..but it hasnīt come to that yet, if I see it suddenly increase sky high here in stockholm, I will take a look at that.

    Some local factories over here near me are starting to hire personal ..in order to manage production of respirators and protection filters 3-5 shifts.
    And right now the hospitals says they managed to increase their capacity for intensive care, so right now they are actually on plus and more seats than a normal situation.

    I took a look at how the situation was in early March in sweden, norway and denmark, at that time the amount of infected was pretty much similar..denmark and norway then shut down most things..while Sweden did not, and now it is a clear difference in that we have many more infected than them, almost one thousand more than Norway, and 2175 more than denmark.

    Now that is not an absolute verification of that the norway/denmark way of shutting down is more effective..but it may.
    It could also have other correlations, such as we in sweden able to do more tests, or the population density in the head capitals, or amount of immigrants who miss out on the information.

    Some legislation emergency acts are handled right now, which would allow for the government to take decisions much faster without the need of going the route through the parlament, but that wasnīt accepted in itīs first draft, so it went back to the government who did some changes which ment the parlament still have to accept the callings.

    Right now it is peaking too much over here though I think, 5,79 % of the Confirmed infections has died, it was only 3,2% some days ago.
    3 persons within 20-29 years
    But most is between 70-90

    And 1 of 3 elderly care centers are infected.

    And the U.S ..that is going to be very very bad I am afraid..sorry to say it that way, just guessing due to general health, overweight..and also a lot of old people actually, and perhaps the social style wich seem to be very social, and moving around...so I suspect the difference will be huge compared to many other countries.
    So a hope for American ingenouity, common sense..and people willing to help out to protect yourself, spread information..spawn ideas, and do great work for those infected.

  10. #160
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    By the way, is there a prohibition on visits to elderly care centers in the U.S right now?

  11. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    77
    About Americans going to work sick, you are so right, in general that is in normal situations. A "good" company pays 5 days a year and then there is possible discipline for taking more so people will only take the first day or two of their worst condition in case of a cold/flu then come back to work. I haven't worked for a small company in years so I'm sure it's even worse as far as paid sick days. So generally in cold/flu season you are always around sick people.
    Now about this Corona situation..the large company I work for has changed some things and dropped the discipline issue. The problem is the Human equation. Just a couple weeks ago there were a few people with what was probably a normal cold and yes they were at work. It's like you can tell someone don't stick your hand in that pile of hot burning coals and they just look at you with a glazed over expression and bam, stick their hand in!
    We had a meeting yesterday (it's a small 12 person group) and the manager gave a whole talk, and really tried to sell it, the possible benefits of everyone wearing a mask or at least a bandana. One employee exploded using every curse word directed at every member standing there to "Not come to work if you're feeling sick". At the end of the talk 8 put on masks and 4 didn't?? Why again it's the human problem. Did they think they would look funny, they have the it's not going to happen to me attitude, they think God will protect them(really) is that worth risking drowning in your own lungs? The stupidity is unreal fortunately it amounts to the smaller percentage of a group or a country hopefully. To clarify I was wearing a mask at the beginning of the meeting!! The extra sad thing is I work for one of the two big "delivery" companies on the planet. We are on the so-called frontlines you would think no matter your background, education, or religion people would get it. That remains to be seen.

  12. #162
    Often Banned Megalodon2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    By the way, is there a prohibition on visits to elderly care centers in the U.S right now?
    It's up to each state, but I think most have stated that NO VISITS to keep everyone safe.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

  13. #163
    LW Watcher
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,572
    I'm in the UK. We have a relative in a care home - they locked down the care home two weeks ago - a great decision. All UK care homes are locked down, but one had eight residents die last week related to coronavirus.

    I'm glad to be in the UK not the USA.

  14. #164
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    It's up to each state, but I think most have stated that NO VISITS to keep everyone safe.
    Uhm..yeah, state independency.
    Our government made a National prohibition on March the 30th, It was previously an advice..but now a clear prohibition Nationwide..No visits.

    I think they should have made this happen weeks ago, they were hoping for common sense of people...but I donīt think itīs worth that risc, and in the end..they had to shut it down anyway..so I am having a hard time understanding why they were so lame on that, and in hindsight they can surely say they did something wrong now with 1 of 3 elderly care infected.

    Personally as I mentioned before, I have no relative in the elderly care, and I really donīt know any other from friends either in there...but my empathy goes out to those elders anyway, and their families.

    Iīm convinced itīs a matter of time now before we got more close downs..especially on schools, I think they should at least have closed all schools from maybe grade 3 and up, there is always a matter of ..can the kids care for themself while at home? and no parents around? probably different in different countries.
    There was just recently a huge protest list from teachers, signing of a call that the directions by the health department can not be followed..and that the infection is going around in the schools.

  15. #165
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,751
    Quote Originally Posted by mballard View Post
    About Americans going to work sick, you are so right, in general that is in normal situations. A "good" company pays 5 days a year and then there is possible discipline for taking more so people will only take the first day or two of their worst condition in case of a cold/flu then come back to work. I haven't worked for a small company in years so I'm sure it's even worse as far as paid sick days. So generally in cold/flu season you are always around sick people.
    Now about this Corona situation..the large company I work for has changed some things and dropped the discipline issue. The problem is the Human equation. Just a couple weeks ago there were a few people with what was probably a normal cold and yes they were at work. It's like you can tell someone don't stick your hand in that pile of hot burning coals and they just look at you with a glazed over expression and bam, stick their hand in!
    We had a meeting yesterday (it's a small 12 person group) and the manager gave a whole talk, and really tried to sell it, the possible benefits of everyone wearing a mask or at least a bandana. One employee exploded using every curse word directed at every member standing there to "Not come to work if you're feeling sick". At the end of the talk 8 put on masks and 4 didn't?? Why again it's the human problem. Did they think they would look funny, they have the it's not going to happen to me attitude, they think God will protect them(really) is that worth risking drowning in your own lungs? The stupidity is unreal fortunately it amounts to the smaller percentage of a group or a country hopefully. To clarify I was wearing a mask at the beginning of the meeting!! The extra sad thing is I work for one of the two big "delivery" companies on the planet. We are on the so-called frontlines you would think no matter your background, education, or religion people would get it. That remains to be seen.
    Americans could use a good health care system, increase the taxes and implement it..never to late, till next time...but I guess something needs to change for that to happen, itīs an indvidual freedom and opportunity and risc VS a collective enforcement and insurance and safety.

    Usally when we get sick over here, there is a one day qualifying before the health insurance pay, the next days you get 80% of your salery ..commonly, and itīs the employer who pays the absence when you are sick, but during this crises.. the authorities took the responsibility of the payments and not the companies, and they have skipped the qualifying day, so you get 80% from day one, further more..you do not have to file a medical certificate to prove your sickness.
    Usually you have 7 days to get well and after that a medical certificate is needed to show the employer, but now it has been extended to 14 days.

    So the strong advice over here is..if you cough, feeling the slightest bad..stay at home, even if it is a mild symptom of anything.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •